Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 11:22 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times

Advertisements

If you're not near immediate shelter, you have less than an even chance of survival. Anyplace you can think to go has already been thought of by folks closer to it than you are. And the challenge of food & water is going to be tough to overcome if you don't already have it stockpiled. Fortunately I have a neighbor that's big on "being prepared"..........but he "doesn't believe in guns". So I already know when my supplies will be coming from.

Then again, as already noted - who WANTS to survive such an attack if you're contaminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,925 times
The chances of a nuke being dropped on San Antonio are exceedingly small. Yes, Russia and China are rattling sabers because our current president has shown that he's unwilling to do much of anything about their land grabs in the South China Sea and Crimea (and I wouldn't be surprised to see more between now and January 20th, 2017) but they have no desire to kick off a nuclear war with the United States.

China might fire a few conventional shots as they gobble up their intended targets amidst a U.S. withdrawal and Russia would have no problem waging a conventional war as they attempt to recreate the USSR, but that's about it. The only people who really have to worry about a very limited state-sponsored nuclear attack are Israel, India, Pakistan and perhaps a Baltic nation or two and a remote South China island chain.

China and Russia are playing the long game and will happily wait for the U.S., NATO and our allies to contract/weaken/withdraw as they achieve their objectives via economic means and the threat of force. They don't think that the United States has the stomach for a major war to protect a far-flung ally and they're probably right. At least as far as the current administration is concerned.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:46 AM

69 posts, read 96,035 times
This site is always fun. You can set the detonation location to San Antonio: NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein

Old 10-12-2016, 11:07 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
The chances of a nuke being dropped on San Antonio are exceedingly small. Yes, Russia and China are rattling sabers because our current president has shown that he's unwilling to do much of anything about their land grabs in the South China Sea and Crimea (and I wouldn't be surprised to see more between now and January 20th, 2017) but they have no desire to kick off a nuclear war with the United States.

China might fire a few conventional shots as they gobble up their intended targets amidst a U.S. withdrawal and Russia would have no problem waging a conventional war as they attempt to recreate the USSR, but that's about it. The only people who really have to worry about a very limited state-sponsored nuclear attack are Israel, India, Pakistan and perhaps a Baltic nation or two and a remote South China island chain.

China and Russia are playing the long game and will happily wait for the U.S., NATO and our allies to contract/weaken/withdraw as they achieve their objectives via economic means and the threat of force. They don't think that the United States has the stomach for a major war to protect a far-flung ally and they're probably right. At least as far as the current administration is concerned.
Maybe not a Nuke drop on SA but conventional bombs would make for a very bad day for us SA residents none the less. Conventional bombs would increase all of our survival percentages as it would be smaller blast radiuses and no radiation fallout. So essentially, a conventional attack on SA would be all the more reason to have a plan, knowledge, a place to go to survive. Hence the point of this thread. To get ideas.

As a poster said earlier in this thread, SA is target #3 or 4 in the country which is actually pretty high. This thread was about Nukes but also about where to go, what to do during a conventional attack. With current events as they are and being #3 or 4 on the list of priority targets for a foreign enemy country to attack, this should be a cause of concern for all SA residents.

As I said in the earlier posts, Russia and China (both allies) have become exceedingly more powerful over the years and they have respectively become exceedingly more defiant and belligerent (please see my post a few posts above for an explanation). People can read about these things on mainstream news sites and by doing their own Google search to see that this is not "fringe conspiracy theory" things. Its the real deal and its been steadily increasing for years. Its reaching a boiling point now.

I, like you Derpy, think more illegal land grabs will be done by China and Russia before the new administration takes office. Both China and Russia are intent on growing in power, illegally acquire more territory and as you so aptly put it, ultimately usurp the US's world influence and cause significant damage (in one form or another) to the US. They are doing this, as you said, by patiently waiting for it and creating chaos on multiple fronts that the US isn't willing to stomach initially or will tire of over the long haul. As you stated, they will keep pushing the boundaries with illegal activities (electronic theft, hacking, influencing elections, illegally land grab etc.) until the US as you said, grows tired of it, contracts, weakens and ultimately withdraws. Then China and Russia can bully the neighboring countries as they are doing now, without any resistance. This is seen by the current and past actions of both China and Russia. Please see links in previous posts on this thread and do your own research to see what I am saying is true.

I agree with part of your statement "China might fire a few conventional shots as they gobble up their intended targets amidst a U.S. withdrawal and Russia would have no problem waging a conventional war as they attempt to recreate the USSR, but that's about it". However, I personally don't think "just a few shots fired and that would be about it". Both Russia and China are showing through multiple avenues that they are all in and willing to engage in a military conflict. As I stated in an earlier post, in the cases of both confronting the Chinese in their illegal land/sea grab in the South China Sea and confronting Russia in their illegal land grab in the Ukraine as well as Russia military supporting a ruthless dictator in which both countries are guilty of war crimes, its not as easy for the US as just backing down/walking away. We have allies involved on both fronts and the stability of NATO hangs in the balance. If the US were to just walk, this would tremendously destabilize the regions where both China and Russia operate and send a world message that NATO is either incompetent or unwilling at protecting its allies. This is a big deal. This is what makes the situation dangerous. Its not just a means of walking away because its not our part of the world. We are locked into the situation with the Chinese and Russia and backing away may have more adverse effects then staying locked in.

As I said in earlier posts, the physical posturing, threats and rhetoric from China, North Korea, Russia and Iran has increased dramatically over the years and has now reached a boiling point. Threats of nuclear war are being exchanged and are being backed up with Russia recently moving nuclear weapons to our allies borders (and recently as of yesterday or today) test firing ICBMs in defiance of the US. Both Russia and China over the past year have made multiple reckless and dangerous close flybys of our military operating in international waters and airspace often coming within only a few feet. If these Russian and Chinese pilots make just a small maneuvering error when operating just 10s of feet off of an aircraft or carrier, you up the risk significantly. This error would inevitable draw us into at least a conventional weapons confrontation/war. Both China and Russia have shown that they are crazy enough to take these risks and continue doing so. As I said, they are "all in". Relations and the situations with the Chinese and Russia is a tinderbox and its escalating continuously. It only takes a small match to light a stick of dynamite. These scenero is dangerously similar to the start of WWI and WWII.

An article on CNN today:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/12/politi...ions-cold-war/

Last edited by txbullsfan; 10-12-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschulz3 View Post
This site is always fun. You can set the detonation location to San Antonio: NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein
This is an interesting website. Pretty wild stuff.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 10-12-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 12:44 PM

Russia and China would like to see themselves as superpowers who rival the United States as far as global strength, but that doesn't mean that they want to start a shooting war with us. China wants to reign over their region and Russia would like to expand to its glory days when the USSR existed. They have some old beefs from bygone wars with their neighbors that they might like to settle, but that's about it. Oh, and China wants to gain a foothold in Africa due to its vast wealth of minerals and raw materials for their industries.

In short, both Russia and China have proven willing to snatch up disputed territory and they'll probably continue to do so if the U.S. doesn't push back, but it's unlikely that we would see anything other than small military engagements with them. The chances of bombs or missiles raining down on San Antonio are exceedingly small. People who live in the former USSR or the vicinity of the South China Sea have reason to worry, but not so for American citizens. At least not at this time.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Russia and China would like to see themselves as superpowers who rival the United States as far as global strength, but that doesn't mean that they want to start a shooting war with us. China wants to reign over their region and Russia would like to expand to its glory days when the USSR existed. They have some old beefs from bygone wars with their neighbors that they might like to settle, but that's about it. Oh, and China wants to gain a foothold in Africa due to its vast wealth of minerals and raw materials for their industries.

In short, both Russia and China have proven willing to snatch up disputed territory and they'll probably continue to do so if the U.S. doesn't push back, but it's unlikely that we would see anything other than small military engagements with them. The chances of bombs or missiles raining down on San Antonio are exceedingly small. People who live in the former USSR or the vicinity of the South China Sea have reason to worry, but not so for American citizens. At least not at this time.
I agree that China and Russia probably do not want to start a shooting war with us but I think the potential for all out war between the US, Russia and China is continuing to increase. There is strength in numbers and I think with Iran, North Korea, China and Russia allied and on the same page opposing the West and feeling the West (us) is hindering them, they are likely to lash out. They may feel that while the US will engage if provoked to a point, its allies will cower in fear, leaving the US on its own. The US can not take on these two countries by itself. We would need help. They know this. Hence China and Russia's continuing actions to destabilize the region, NATO and its member countries with "costs" for being a part of NATO.

When humans or animals are actually in a "wolf pack" these groups have been observed to take large risks and to make aggressive and dangerous moves. Things that an individual animal or human wouldn't make on their own. China, Iran, North Korea and Russia have a "wolf pack" and they are terrorizing/striking fear the neighborhoods they are living in while "barking" at us to stay out of their business. China and Russia won't back down in the areas discussed in earlier posts on this thread because they feel they are in the right. As stated earlier on this thread as well, the US has obligations to stay in the fight/conflict and not back down. Moves are being made on both sides. Escalations are continuing to happen.

I respectfully disagree that an attack on a US city (in particular San Antonio) is exceedingly small. Well, at least if it is it may not be for long if it is indeed at this exact moment. Every side is posturing and placing. Seems like something is about to go down. Neither us nor the Russians or the Chinese would allow an attack on their troops to remain just a regional matter. It would draw them into something bigger. Both sides have stated this both indirectly and directly. I hope you are right though.

Despite many mainstream media outlets refusing to call it as such, according to the dictionary definition, we are in a Cold War with Russia. A conflict. A conflict that is escalating. To what degree this conflict will get to I am not sure. Hopefully everyone just chills out, grabs a beer and realizes that we all live on this Earth together.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 10-12-2016 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 05:03 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Prophesying a return to Biblical Times,

You are clearly wrong Derpy Derp. Our nuclear end is near at the Hands of a petty dictator. We shall all pay. A great bomb will be dropped upon the city. The shock from the concussion will cause a seismic shift and all of south Texas will cleave off from the continental United States at the Balcones Fault line in an immense tectonic shift. The ground shall quake beneath our feet. The New Republic of South Texas will simply drop off. McManus will be elected the First president. Afterward all signs will be taken down and changed to Seven Flags over Texas.

The radiation, nuclear contamination from fallout will cause human mutants to appear who will pillage the Hill Country. We must be armed and dangerous, vigilant at all times. All will be on horseback hunting feral pigs for meat to eat with a side of acorns or prickly pear. This will cause the extinction of feral pigs.
Some will eat Armadillos during more difficult times. Children will weep, not "Armadillo again?"
We shall all become survivalists due to watching re-runs of television's survivor series, some will go nude. The VCR will make a return as an excellent educational tool. After a time we will falter even further and begin to hunt with bows and arrows. The small coins of American currency will make excellent arrow heads when sharpened. Good for the barter economy will regress into.
Animal skins will be all the fashion, sewn together by the womenfolk.

With time the San Antonio River Valley will recover, be taken back by nature and it will become the Green Oasis it was before human exploitation began. San Antonio will become the Capital Of Texas once again. McManus will reside at the Spanish Governor's Palace. The Artesian Springs downtown will once again bubble forth clean water. Ironically , in a complete economic flip-flop, southside real estate values will skyrocket as the city slowly recovers. The northside,no.
Finally, by the year 2116 The Alamo will be cleaned up and - a bookstore will finally be built on the southside, on Military Drive. Our City will once again thrive and slowly become again the tourist destination it was before.

" Sorry Folks, this is a disaster even I can't fix." These were final words of Donald Trump as he and his entourage fled the looming Annihilation of America aboard his airplane.
People threw stones as in the Old Days.

Quote:

Old 10-12-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The radiation, nuclear contamination from fallout will cause human mutants to appear who will pillage the Hill Country. We must be armed and dangerous, vigilant at all times. All will be on horseback hunting feral pigs for meat to eat with a side of acorns or prickly pear. This will cause the extinction of feral pigs.
Anything that kills off the hogs is ok with me.

Just as an aside, my father participated in about 50 aboveground nuclear tests in Nevada and the Pacific as an Army radiological monitor from 1956 through 1958 and I was not born a mutant. He's 80 and slowing down a bit, but he's surprisingly healthy for a man who was literally blown off his feet by a 9.3 megaton H-bomb test in the Pacific and was once accidentally helicoptered into the fallout cloud from a test in Nevada.

Humans are made of sturdy stuff.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Anything that kills off the hogs is ok with me.

Just as an aside, my father participated in about 50 aboveground nuclear tests in Nevada and the Pacific as an Army radiological monitor from 1956 through 1958 and I was not born a mutant. He's 80 and slowing down a bit, but he's surprisingly healthy for a man who was literally blown off his feet by a 9.3 megaton H-bomb test in the Pacific and was once accidentally helicoptered into the fallout cloud from a test in Nevada.

Humans are made of sturdy stuff.

That's crazy man. The stuff he probably has seen is wild. I'm glad he is still doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio