Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:30 PM

1,032 posts, read 875,406 times

Advertisements

If the grass was problematic before you moved in, you have every right to fight this

You may have signed a lease, but that doesn't mean you can't win this. Find a decent attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 05:46 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
If the grass was problematic before you moved in, you have every right to fight this

You may have signed a lease, but that doesn't mean you can't win this. Find a decent attorney.
Some of you folk need to get your head straight. These are not Attorney matters. You may be able to get a rational assessment from an Attorney for a few hundred dollars. But retaining an Attorney in such cases generally involves a few thousand dollars to START.

This is small claims stuff. DIY. Legal aide perhaps if you qualify. You read the local instructions on small claims and proceed.How do I know? I have done both. Small Claims with Attorney consult and real legal actions with depositions and court hearings. Small claims is a few hundred dollars for a big deal. Real lawyer action starts at $5,000 and goes up forever.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:53 PM

110 posts, read 161,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
That fact that your landlord has St. Augustine in South Texas in a rental is really a dumb move.

I have St. Augustine at my house but that is only because I love yard work. It takes to much water and time in South Texas unless the yard is almost completely shaded.
This is so true!

Old 10-15-2016, 12:10 AM

110 posts, read 161,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromecek View Post
The property we are renting has a huge front and back yard, the house doesn't have s sprinkler system and the grass in most areas died (most likely because of not enough watering, the kids hardly played outside so they don't have anything to do with it). I got a note from the landlord that I have to replace it and that the sods and labor combined will be around 5,000 Dollars.

When I moved in the grass was mostly brown with some green but not as dead as it is now. What are my options, do I really have to replace the grass completely so that it's basically brand new (meaning it would look so much better than by the time when I moved in)?

In the lease it says we are supposed to water 3 times a week which probably was not enough (and since it's not automated we didn't water all the time especially during our 2 vacations from which one was 3 weeks).

What would be the cheapest way to "repair" the grass, what should I do?

Thanks.

Petr (yes, without an "e" )
Sodding a yard is expensive but it still surprises me at the number of homes that don't have an irrigation system installed. I bought a home is SA that we will retire in and literally the second day I owned it I had a sprinkler system installed and the yard was a little rough (builders ). Anyway I needed to over seed later that year and into the next but all came in just fine. Then I started the weed control. It's just too much work without an in-ground system in place. I've tried and failed badly in the past.

Maybe you can strike a deal to pay for half of a system and seed if you truly are liable for the yards condition. That or just seed and hope for the best watering it. When the temperature starts to drop the seed can germinate pretty fast.

Do you have picture of the condition when you moved in as a reference for the owner (sorry I might have missed it). Best of luck but I wouldn't sod that yard at all.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:25 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
The above yard looks like it was never maintained. Sorry I have no sympathy. In my opinion.. if you didn't want to take care of a yard... you should have moved into an apartment or somewhere where they do your yard work for you. My yard, also St Augustine, is alive and well. I didn't water it 3 times a week I didn't hand water it daily.. I did maintain it. What most people forget... is that the yard is part of your house... at least make it look like someone lives there. It doesn't appear you even weeded it or anything. One of those.. drive home kind of family and park your rear ends on the couch....
I think I've turned the sprinkler system less than ten times this year. With all the rain we've had this season, that grass had to have been in bad shape to begin with.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:52 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I think I've turned the sprinkler system less than ten times this year. With all the rain we've had this season, that grass had to have been in bad shape to begin with.
I was thinking that as well. I really have only run it Aug and Sept. Everytime we got a gullywasher, I turned it back off.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:02 PM

814 posts, read 676,093 times
You have a few days before the cool nights shut down the grass. Not enough time to help it at all.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:58 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post

The answer to everyone's issues. Get a lawyer instead of taking responsibility...

what a great answer...

But I guess what really takes the cake.. is =
pay the lawyer a couple of thousand dollars or pay a couple of dollars and take care of the issues....

I never claimed to be the smartest peanut... but hiring a lawyer for that crap is financial stupidity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio