Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 05:18 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the heads up, TexasRedneck. I just told my Mom about this because I knew she wouldn't even notice that they charged her an extra $1.00 for a magazine that she won't even read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I see no need for a "newspaper" you pay for that can't tell you the story as it really happened and anything it has to say is just old history. The story or fib is going to be at least 12 hours old and more. Considering most folks have internet now, the news is almost instant. Maybe biased so bad it doesn't look like the truth but it's pretty quick. Kinda like carrying a pager, you need to move into the 21st century and put the horse out to pasture. How about gettin' schoolmarm a subscription to Texas Monthly instead?
I grew up reading a newspaper while eating breakfast, so I know that I want the news in text form with breakfast. I also don't want to spill milk onto my computer, smartphone or tablet or use it with dirty fingers! The dead-tree version of the news will meet my needs for the foreseeable future.

Sometimes I read stories that I read the night before or at work the day before. There's plenty of new-to-me content, so that occasional duplication doesn't bother me.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:29 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
I am sure newspapers will disappear (like VHS tapes, etc )in the future but I do get the feeling of reading the newspaper in paper form. SA Express newspaper used to be really good before they shrunk it up.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:28 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
I got my card also and will opt out. Considering I HATE sports (no sports gene at all)and the sports section of the paper is tossed, unread without even a glance, no way will I pay extra for that stuff! I'll bet a lot of subscriber will just cancel their subscription! Now why would they want to lose all those subscribers? I need to talk to them anyway...about the $3.95 charge for each printed bill, which I would like to avoid. I don't want their "EZ Pay" either! This world is getting WAY too complicated...it used to be businesses were just happy to get paid at all and weren't all picky about which way you wanted to pay them!

Old 10-13-2016, 10:30 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
I talked to one of their customer service people, who wasn't that helpful, but at least she gave me the amount I owe minus Spurs Nation currently, because my printed bill had the higher amount with Spurs Nation. Apparently, I'll have to call them every two months to check on the amount I owe and then send payment in with a check in order to avoid that silly charge for a printed bill. This world just gets more problematic as time goes on for people like me who are old-fashioned and don't like those automatic payments, but still don't want to not pay extra. I forgot to ask them about how to include a tip for the carrier with it set up that way.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:40 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
....It's getting worse. I managed to keep the bill down for a while - but the latest one for EIGHT weeks?

$86.00!!

So, I'll be back on the phone Monday.....this is SO stupid. If it were my decision alone, I'd simply cancel - but the wife loves her coupons, so I'll look at the Sunday only option and see.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:07 PM

100 posts, read 207,121 times
WOW! That's ridiculous for the amount of value that you get.

We got a Groupon a year ago for the Wednesday-Sunday paper - it's going to be expiring in a few weeks. We've decided that we're not going to renew - there's just not enough left in the paper any more. They got rid of the Sunday syndicated articles in the Business section that I enjoyed, and it takes about 5 minutes to read the Wednesday paper cover to cover.

This will be the first time in my life that we won't have had a daily newspaper - that's a lot of years!

Old 06-04-2017, 07:36 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
EN had several reps spread out INSIDE the store at Tezel & Culebra yesterday bothering people.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Well, I FINALLY got through to a live human this morning - every time I'd call, I'd get disconnected when I pressed the number to cancel the subscription. Usually was when I had other things going on, so I'd just figure to try another day.

This morning I decided enough was enough. Got disconnected FOUR times I pressed the "cancel subscription" button, finally called back, selected "new subscription".....and voila - INSTANT rep! I explained why I was bothering her (I wasn't mad at HER - not her fault), so she said she'd switch me over....yeah - you guessed it - disconnected yet AGAIN.

One last call - talked to the same gal by chance, and told her that while I wasn't mad at HER, I did NOT want her to transfer me ANYWHERE - there HAD to be a way she could take care of things for me. After several attempts at "lowering" the bill to "only" $34-38/mo, she finally realized I wasn't going to accept a rate increase of ANY amount, so she cancelled the subscription.

Needless to say, the better half isn't REAL happy with this....so if anyone could provide me with some links for good news sources (and online coupons that are real) that I could load the links to into her iPad, I'd be VERY grateful!!!

Thanks!!

Old 06-20-2017, 12:25 AM

207 posts, read 320,550 times
Coupons.com has a ton of coupons. You can print two of each. HEB has a lot of digital coupons on their mobile app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: