Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 11:32 AM

351 posts, read 321,443 times

Advertisements

Young(ish) retiree looking for 55+ single family communities. We travel a lot and want a place we can leave behind securely, but we do not like common walls of a condo or TH.

Since we're retired, commute times, schools, are not factors.

Would like to buy with budget around 300K.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 01:37 PM

584 posts, read 1,193,509 times
Del Webb has a community in San Antonio.

Active Adult Retirement Communities | Hill Country Retreat | San Antonio, TX | Del Webb New Home Builders

Old 10-17-2016, 08:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Golf?
Swimming?
trails?
activities?

If you travel via air... look at housing locations between SAT and AUS. Fares vary quite a bit, making one or the other a clear winner at times, but not all the time.

Uber distance to SAT is a big plus if you are gone very long at a time (cheaper to Uber than to use LT parking).

AUS ran Uber out of town, so rides are spendy there., cheaper to store car near airport. and take a Hotel Shuttle bus.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:23 AM

351 posts, read 321,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Golf?
Swimming?
trails?
activities?

If you travel via air... look at housing locations between SAT and AUS. Fares vary quite a bit, making one or the other a clear winner at times, but not all the time.

Uber distance to SAT is a big plus if you are gone very long at a time (cheaper to Uber than to use LT parking).

AUS ran Uber out of town, so rides are spendy there., cheaper to store car near airport. and take a Hotel Shuttle bus.
Thanks for the Uber info re: AUS.

Amenities...as few as possible, as we won't use them. We normally travel (by air) 6 mos. out of the year (not consecutive). Basically want a place that provides gated security and outside maintenance. My partner is wondering if we'd be better off doing short-term rentals, but I worry they won't be available when we want or need them.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
Thanks for the Uber info re: AUS.

Amenities...as few as possible, as we won't use them. We normally travel (by air) 6 mos. out of the year (not consecutive). Basically want a place that provides gated security and outside maintenance. My partner is wondering if we'd be better off doing short-term rentals, but I worry they won't be available when we want or need them.
Few amenities needed?....Rents are pretty high in SA, but prices to buy are reasonable, so...Buy a nice place near(er) to airport that has a separate living qtrs for a 'Boarder' who will maintain the place while you are gone. We do that in 3 USA locations and spend a lot of time GONE. (10+ months last yr, RTW).

We rent the main house and stay in the guest houses. thus NICE cash flows to support our travel habit. Extra generous cash flows from TX properties (12 - 20% positive), cuz rents are so high and props so low priced... My west coast props are much more expensive, so cash flows usually closer to 5-7% net. All places are near airports. 20 min is about right, and there are decent places in SA 20 min from SAT. (But I am 1 hr away in countryside in SAT, so I need to rent a car space near airport ($55/month). Uber is $6 to the rental lot.

In early retirement (out at age 49), it is nice to get $1000/ month extra income from each main house. when I get tired of the rentals, I will sell to renters and carry the contracts (Hopefully for 6-7% by then, ~age 70), This gives the renters / boarders ownership and they are pleased to take care of the places. (I only do view properties in the countryside, but you could do similar in city.

These type of residences are handy for other needs: Elder care, adult kids with ST need, friends in need, future caregiver, caretaker for property, and extra income.

I like the Alamo Heights area cuz of ez access, and some nice older neighborhoods.

I screen my tenants very well, usually use 'older' seminary students, or singles age 40+ who appreciate rural view / gardening, wildlife...

Old 10-18-2016, 02:00 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
We live in Del Webb and love it. We travel a lot, (Alaska in Aug and just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii last week) and LOVE the fact everyone here watches out for everyone else. I highly suggest you take a look. Feel free to DM me if you want to speak off the board about living here. You can find everything from smaller garden type homes (all single dwelling only) for under 200K to much larger homes with dual master suites and 3000+ sq ft for 500K.) Gated community, resort with amenities, but NO golf course where you end up paying for others "habit".

If you search Del Webb Hill Country Retreat online you will find lots of resales as well as new builds available. We have a private portal, and you will find everything you need from transportation to/from the airport when traveling to house sitting and plant/animal sitting available. We have a dog and have her housesat when gone so she is in her environment. Lots of folks here pay for such services, and lots "swap off" when they travel. We even have travel clubs that do everything from RV'ing to cruising to overseas land tours together if you so desire.

Last edited by Paka; 10-18-2016 at 02:09 PM..

Old 10-19-2016, 09:50 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,765 times
You could also look at the Village at Incarnate Word if you wanted to live more close-in. They have indep. living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: