Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:38 PM

546 posts, read 3,105,528 times

Advertisements

I live near a fairly busy street (Burr Road), and while the traffic noise is almost non-existent, the presence of passing cars as seen through the cracks in my wooden privacy fence is beginning to get on my nerves - sooooo, I'm thinking about planting a "living privacy fence" in front of my ol' wood privacy fence (does this make any sense?). Well, my investigation into the world of fast-growing bushes, etc., seems to point to bamboo (clumping rather than the spreading kind), which will evidentaly produce about a 10-15ft "wall" in 3-5 years or so given the strain (which is probably wishful thinking).

Now my question is this: does anyone know where in the heck I can buy large quantities of the stuff that doesn't require a bank loan? I've been to several nurseries in town, and boy, the bamboo seems kinda pricey to me (example, Milberger was selling the variety I want for 89.99 a pot - the plant was maybe 3 feet tall, and really scrawny looking).

Anyway, if anyone can point me to some decent-sized el cheapo bamboo at some obscure nursery or farm in the general vicinity, I'd surely appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM

154 posts, read 631,135 times
I don't know their prices, but I was told that Evergreen Garden Center on W Hildebrand has lots of bamboo. Maybe if they carry a bunch of it their prices are good?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 PM

91 posts, read 476,075 times
Be careful. Yes, bamboo will grow tall vertically and makes a great privacy screen, but if not properly maintained can spread all over your yard through it's root system (including your neighbor's) . Once out of hand it's a pain to cut down. I suggest a "clumper" type of bamboo rather than a "runner" bamboo. The clumper bamboo still spreads but is less invasive. A good place to get advice or maybe possible resources would be San Antonio Botanical Garden which I think you are closeby. Other places you can try are Home Depot or Lowes because they are such large corporations which can offer lower pricing. You can also call "Fanicks Garden Center" which is a decent nursery off of Holmgreen that not too many people know about. There number is (210) 648-1303.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,858 times
What about a vine type of plant on the fence?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:41 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,076 times
For more information on growing Bamboo. Here is a link to a forum all about it. Beware some people who have started Bamboo in their yard now call it Damboo.

Bamboo Forum - GardenWeb

Old 10-09-2007, 08:33 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
Googie.....first...I want to acknowledge that you said you are looking for the "clumping" variety of bamboo....so that may make all the difference. It sounds like you've done your homework. But, I have to agree with the comments about REALLY investigating even the clumping variety. You do want it to spread somewhat and make a nice thick hedge to buffer your house from the traffic, but it can grow extremely tall and almost look weedy unless it's trimmed regularly. Bamboo grows very fast, so that trimming can be fairly often.

When I lived on Randolph AFB, the officer housing was landscaped with huge bamboo hedges to sort of divide up the properties for more privacy. I remember the lawn crews having to come and give the bamboo "crew cuts" every year. It looked so barren and scrappy at that time until it started growing up and bushing out again. This bamboo didn't spread everywhere, but it was exactly what you are describing. Before the trimming it was really "wild" looking. I'm not sure if they still have those hedges....but they were about 5 ft thick. As kids, we could crawl inside the hedges. There were long bare tunnels and pockets of space to play! (I think I got my first kiss in those hedges!)

I think checking out the Botanical Gardens for info is a great idea. Also....that Sonic on Broadway near Brackenridge Park has a Bamboo hedge on one side. Not sure who maintains it, but you can see it up close. Maybe the management can tell you about maintenance etc. Heck...they might GIVE some of it away!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,460,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
I live near a fairly busy street (Burr Road), and while the traffic noise is almost non-existent, the presence of passing cars as seen through the cracks in my wooden privacy fence is beginning to get on my nerves - sooooo, I'm thinking about planting a "living privacy fence" in front of my ol' wood privacy fence (does this make any sense?). Well, my investigation into the world of fast-growing bushes, etc., seems to point to bamboo (clumping rather than the spreading kind), which will evidentaly produce about a 10-15ft "wall" in 3-5 years or so given the strain (which is probably wishful thinking).

Now my question is this: does anyone know where in the heck I can buy large quantities of the stuff that doesn't require a bank loan? I've been to several nurseries in town, and boy, the bamboo seems kinda pricey to me (example, Milberger was selling the variety I want for 89.99 a pot - the plant was maybe 3 feet tall, and really scrawny looking).

Anyway, if anyone can point me to some decent-sized el cheapo bamboo at some obscure nursery or farm in the general vicinity, I'd surely appreciate it.
I have heard (but do not have experience with this) that IF you plant your bamboo IN a container (do not remove it from the container when you place it in the ground) that it helps to keep it from "spreading" and instead gives it the growth up and not out. You might want to ask about it...always thought it sounded like an easy fix when I heard it on a gardening radio show a long time ago.

I DO know that they tend to attract lots of birds nesting in their, and that can get ugly over the course of time...just a thought.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
For more information on growing Bamboo. Here is a link to a forum all about it. Beware some people who have started Bamboo in their yard now call it Damboo.

Bamboo Forum - GardenWeb
Years ago the house we were renting had a ton of it on the side, and it was really overgrown and out of control. It is a bear to get rid of. I'm sure "damboo" was mentioned (among other choice words!) that weekend we spent trying to rip it out of the ground.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,891 times
Rainbow Gardens has bamboo there, it is fairly expensive though. I find it funny that something that grows insanely out of control costs so much to purchase in the first place. It is VERY invasive. If you plan to use it plant it in its container in the ground and then don't put dirt over it, put river rock over it. The link SnappyBob put up is a great one, I'm on the Garden Web all the time. They have a local section for Texas Gardening under the Southwest section of the forum, you can ask local Texas gardeners what kind of experience they have had with bamboo.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:18 PM

187 posts, read 946,497 times
we had one where i grew up. i was told it was illegal for the fact that it spread and was impossible to get rid of. Idk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio