Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:03 PM

16 posts, read 18,960 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I've been contemplating a short-term move to San An for a month or two, and after following this acute uptick in violent crime the city over, I'm taking it upon myself to reach out to those in the know here on the board to type off a list of clean, safe, centralized neighborhoods.

Of course the last point is the most flexible, but as a big city boy I'm really looking to get around on foot, i.e. a supermarket, a few bars, coffee shops, etc.

Now I know Alamo Heights has the Quarry Market, which would be huge for me personally, but supposing I can't land a room in that somewhat tony locale, what are some other neighborhoods, areas, suburbs, that would be viable? I'd like to not be anymore than three to five miles away from the riverwalk downtown if at all possible.

I realize one seldom can have everything, but what are some good bets for what I'm seeking??

Thank you all very much for any help!

Jonesey

P.S. Please, I'm looking for current residents of SanAn specifically, as opposed to someone who "used to live" there. Cities are ever-changing and so I need the here and now as it presently stands, not what once was the case a year ago.

Of course I can go dig in archives from y'ore(years before), but what I'd really like is a real-time local rundown of neighborhoods to consider that are really the best(safest, clean, hip) parts of the metro, yet at the same time not cookie cutter bedroom communities way out.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:31 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...etro-info.html start there

Old 10-26-2016, 03:07 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
Many, many areas of SA are perfectly safe! Alamo Heights of course is great, but really, wide swaths of the city would be fine

Old 10-26-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post

I'm not looking for statistics or neighborhood maps, but thanks just the same.

To reiterate once more, I'd like some subjective anecdotal feedback on what some current residents presently view as the safest, urban, cleanest neighborhoods in the area.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Many, many areas of SA are perfectly safe! Alamo Heights of course is great, but really, wide swaths of the city would be fine

That's great to hear of course, but if you could maybe list your top three or four safest and cleanest, that would be preferable.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:42 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu Rising View Post
Hey all, I've been contemplating a short-term move to San An for a month or two, and after following this acute uptick in violent crime the city over,
What acute uptick in crime?

Old 10-26-2016, 04:45 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
well, you're going to get lots of different opinions but since I like the city and not the burbs, I'd say Alamo Heights, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Blue Star, King William, Northwood, Castle Hills, Churchill Estates

Old 10-26-2016, 07:48 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu Rising View Post
I'm not looking for statistics or neighborhood maps, but thanks just the same.

To reiterate once more, I'd like some subjective anecdotal feedback on what some current residents presently view as the safest, urban, cleanest neighborhoods in the area.
I suggested it so you might be able to search on your own for neighborhoods you like based on other preferences. What do you like to do? Do you want to be in the middle of things or out in the burns? What is bringing you here? How long is the commute? Budget? I could suggest the shavano park area as a safe part if thee city but if you want to be 3 to 5 miles from the river walk that wouldn't be a good suggestion. San Antonio is expansive. It takes an hour, without traffic, to get from the far west side to the Far East side. And that hasn't changed in the year I've been in Austin from San Antonio. Good luck.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:26 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
I would look at the Southtown area. Yes, you will be close to the westside or southside where there is crime. But, the King William, Lavaca, and South Flores area is safe. I've lived on South Flores for almost 7 years now and have never been victim of crime. There is some petty theft/burglaries, but that happens everywhere in town. I live about block from the Riverwalk and less then 1 mile into the center of downtown. I can walk to HEB on South Flores or Blue Star Provisions for groceries. But, you can live pretty much anywhere in town now and have your groceries delivered from HEB or other online retailers. The walkability of Southtown is hard to beat. Lots of coffee shops, restaurants, bars, art galleries, and events (Mala Luna Music Festival is this weekend at Lone Star Brewey) going on.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I suggested it so you might be able to search on your own for neighborhoods you like based on other preferences. What do you like to do? Do you want to be in the middle of things or out in the burns? What is bringing you here? How long is the commute? Budget? I could suggest the shavano park area as a safe part if thee city but if you want to be 3 to 5 miles from the river walk that wouldn't be a good suggestion. San Antonio is expansive. It takes an hour, without traffic, to get from the far west side to the Far East side. And that hasn't changed in the year I've been in Austin from San Antonio. Good luck.

Thanks for the good luck at the end, I think. Heh.

Just to be clear, the above factors she's asking about are not a part of the equation. I'm not asking about any of that. My querey seems to have been lost in translation to ash.

I'm not trying to have a resident tailor-make me a suggesting based on (my)stats stats stats.

Everybody on c-d is so stat-centric, and I uderstand why, but this instead is a question I'd like for people to answer based on their OWN preferences and experiences around the city (remember now, current experiences), and only specifically focus on cleanliness, safety and however you personally define and assign the word 'urban' to describe an area or neighborhood you feel deserving.

Let's break precedet and stray away from the objective (stats) to the subjective (your own interpretations).

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio