Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 12:21 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,930,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstmom View Post
I stumbled across a Facebook post of one of our Republican leaders here in Texas (I can't remember who it was, it could have been the governor or lieutenant gov.) a few days ago. I can't remember what the post was about but the comments section was filled with Texans complaining about Californian transplants. The vitriol in those comments about Californians moving here was very strong and hate filled. OP's family may be feeling the backlash against California transplants.
Ask the people in Oregon how they feel about the Californians invading over the last couple of decades. Ask the people in Colorado, Washington and Idaho, too. It's not like Texas is the only place that has residents who complain about invading Californians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 01:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,633 posts, read 57,661,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Ask the people in Oregon how they feel about the Californians invading over the last couple of decades. Ask the people in Colorado, Washington and Idaho, too. It's not like Texas is the only place that has residents who complain about invading Californians.
I don't think CA 'dis-like' needs to hurt OP or employment chances, tho the 'work ethic' of TX vs CA can be very different +/- for employers and employees. Can be mitigated / survived, but often BEST if CA can have their own 'incognito' TX business, that does not require TX 'good-ole-boys' interface to succeed.

There is plenty of TX work / employment, and plenty of opportunity to improve the TX (and CA) work ethic. (especially TX Customer Service for those types of jobs)

cache-22 for me (ex-Colorado ranch kid forced out of CO in 1970's due to increased Property taxes from inflow of CA valuations) Back when you had to reinvest 100% of your valuation in replacement property (ended in 1997 with Clinton I) +/- BUT.... I was employed (in CO) by a CA based employer who brought a lot of high tech out of Bay Area. one of our 'founders' was a Pueblo, CO farmer, so brought their first factory out of Bay area to CO in 1964. At one point was #2 employer (# of staff) in CO, and they were great jobs. And I was ruined for life with 'Flex Hours' But also needed to learn to get along with CA co-workers and bosses for the next 43 yrs. +/-. EZ if you are a Prairie farm kid, but not ez if you are a Texan, (CA people are always right, and always best, always most recognized / especially from their 'toys'. lots of toys (usually with wheels, thus why they have a passion for In&Out drive-ups where they will wait one hour, instead of walking inside for 3 minutes

Just let them be important in their own eyes
, and get on with 'gittin'-it-done' (work) My adult kids make each work place into a secret 'script', with Char-actors assigned to the 'co-workers', it really is quite a story, and separates (and explains) the dynamics of personalities and emotions in the workplace.

They(ex-CA) can be OK neighbors, as long as you have no quest to 'keep-up', just assure them they are very successful 'looking' especially their pink / Cream Cadillac's and 'pretend' pickups with shiny wheels, ('Avalance / Escapade' ). Be proud enough of your highboy Ford with a gunrack, (deer feeder) Ag fuel tank, and TX dirt caked on the running boards, and your vintage woody Jeep Wagoneer 'Sunday Car'.

The RUB is gonna come in TX property valuations,(but not ALL because of CA) as CA buyers still bring too much money and often pay 'over-market', driving comps (and valuations) UP. (Not all, and not necessary, but it is a residual effect) High property taxation as a result of inflowing CA RE equity has ruined all mtn states, the PNW, AZ, trendy places of NM, and TX. This forces seniors, farmers, and the very people who built great communities out of their homes and off their generational farms.

CA could have STOPPED outflows and preserved the valuations and communities of American West (and their own), in the 1960's by REQUIRING all proceeds greater than average USA housing stock STAY in CA. Today CA would be well funded, and the rest of western USA would still be populated with 'founders' and affordable housing stock. (and the place I lay my pillow and call home would be worth 1/4th - 1/6th (terrific by me!) less outlay, less taxes. ) Personal residence is a liability, not an asset, and keeping liabilities LOW is great when you have no income for the next 50 yrs.

Learn to get along, and let CA (and TX) get-over-themselves.... it is a big enough place for all, if not.... head out. (I did that 3x, chased out by CA inflows.... I do not have the time or strength to build another farm (soils, orchards, ponds, barns, fences, houses, livestock, community...)

Old 11-13-2016, 05:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,815,070 times
Quote:
Ask the people in Colorado
Strange you should bring that up. Last time I was in South Fork Colorado I had stopped for gas on my way to Creede. I asked the lady there what was the most dangerous thing in Colorado expecting an answer like a bear or the like. She said a Kalifornian with a U Haul. I laughed a lot about that but it's not near as funny as it was with all of them moving here.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:00 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,728,284 times
I realize that going on about the subject of "Kalifornians" moving to Texas isn't helping the OP of this thread but I have to add not all of them are a threat. It is the ones that come and try to change everything that are and I wish they would move back wherever they came from.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:14 PM

15 posts, read 79,046 times
My daughter worked for several years in a juvenile detention facility, medical department, as a medical unit clerk/admin aide. She excellent computer skills, great references, and has her AA degree in behavioral sciences. She still has had no luck becoming employed.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:20 PM

7,109 posts, read 11,770,458 times
Thought I heard Comal County jail was hiring?

Old 03-09-2017, 11:42 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,108,726 times
It's a pay expectancy thing.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:58 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,227,342 times
I work with a number of California transplants, and all say they get attitude from Texans when they find out they're from Cali. Strange thing is I'm from MA, and I have a number of friends here from NY, NJ, PA, etc. None of us have had ANY problems blending in at work or anywhere else. I did have one former co-worker who used to call me a "liberal heathen" because of the state I'm from, but I used to just give it right back, and we'd have a good laugh. No big deal. Not to get off topic, but when I spent a semester in CA (long time ago), I found that Californians didn't have the same self deprecating sense of humor as those from the northeast or upper midwest. I speak with sales agents from all over the country in my line of work, and to a certain degree I still find that to be true. Just my experience...

When I first moved to SA, I just tried to network, and a friend gave me the number of a career counselor who hooked me up with my first job at a major insurance company. There was a pay cut, but I've moved up since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio