Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times

Advertisements

Exactly!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Because it's even worse elsewhere.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Just look that the other threads;they are telling why.It's not just SA either.Austin seems to be the most popular unless they have a firm job offer.Many other parts of the state have booming economies are effected even by movement within the state.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:12 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Folks - kevcrawford has a lot of good things to say. I just sold a home in Churchill Forest for $179,000 with a $5,000 give back for an old roof...so net sale of $174,000. I listed it for $179,900 and had a contract in five days. The house is 1,732 square feet - so I sold it for $100.46/foot. I purchased it in the fall of 2001 for $113,500 or $65.53/foot. How can you say the sky is falling when you have sales like that? The neighborhood is a 25 year old community full of tract homes located of Blanco inside 1604. The weakness in Stone Oak and communities north of 1604 are suffering more due to the ever increasing cost of gas and the horrible commute. So...to say homes are selling slow in Stone Oak or Timberwood - so the market must be collapsing is faulty logic. What we are seeing is a change in the available qualified buyers combined with a new interest and move to be inside 1604 as apposed to outside 1604. Sadly - all the development and a lot of the new inventory is located outside 1604 from the west side, to North Central to the East side.

San Antonio Housing is soft...in some areas and hot in still others...like where I just moved from.

Being a seller of a 25 year old home that went from listing on MLS to closing and the wire hitting my checking account in a total of 23 days...I can tell you there is still strength in our market.

The sky is not falling - just changing.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:14 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
So wait, the "few incredible years" that California, Florida, and Arizona had are resulting in reversals, but the residual prices from the "few incredible years" in SA will stick. How convenient! Appreciation in SA has gone from 8% down to 4% and of course this--to the six percenters--is to be touted to the naive prospective customers as a leveling off (not and decline that IS JUST GETTING STARTED). The creative financing is the reason that those "few incredible years" existed. This financing artificially propped up the values.

And so readers are aware, at least one of the people on here saying that the in-town neighborhoods are insulated from price declines, owns investment property in one of those neighborhoods.

Don't get me wrong. I do hope that Texas increases its prosperity. I benefit from a strong Texas economy as well. I just don't think that housing is where it's going to be.

Last edited by hello13685; 02-27-2008 at 10:25 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanks Banker. I'm not trying to preach that everyone's making tons of money in real estate and that housing values will make us all rich. I'm just saying that this is a normal market. People don't need to be frightened and running for the hills. There is no perfect market to buy or sell in.

That's a good way to put it. We've just changed a bit. It's very easy to adapt.

And congrats on the quick sale. That's great.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
So wait, the "few incredible years" that California, Florida, and Arizona had are resulting in reversals, but the residual prices from the "few incredible years" in SA will stick. How convenient! Appreciation in SA has gone from 8% down to 4% and of course this--to the six percenters--is to be touted to the naive prospective customers as a leveling off (not and decline that IS JUST GETTING STARTED).

And so readers are aware, at least one of the people on here saying that the in-town neighborhoods are insulated from price declines, owns investment property in one of those neighborhoods.
If the market falls to a normalized level - the areas with exceptional increases will fall the farthest. Ours never exceeded 10% per year...so even if our appreciation rate does fall...it the drop will be shallow. Areas like Phoenix, Miami, LA, Las Vegas are dropping like a rock because they were sky high just a few years ago. Our market was never that over heated.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
So wait, the "few incredible years" that California, Florida, and Arizona had are resulting in reversals, but the residual prices from the "few incredible years" in SA will stick. How convenient! Appreciation in SA has gone from 8% down to 4% and of course this--to the six percenters--is to be touted to the naive prospective customers as a leveling off (not and decline that IS JUST GETTING STARTED).

"Incredible years" mean growth of 8% in some places. That's good growth. Not 25-30%, which is resulting in the 20-25% losses they're experiencing.

Nice try though. Keep on "debunking".

You seem to get a kick out of jumping online to tell people everything is horrible. If that's what you enjoy, that's fine. Just understand that there are some of us out there that actually KNOW what's going on in the market and that nothing you say will sway anyone. You're just seem like you're trying to get everyone to come sit in your shelter with you and wait for the world to end.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:32 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
As I've said before, it's only "doom and gloom" to commissioned personnel and homedebtors. To uninvested people like me, a falling home price scenario is a beautiful, budding flower, and I couldn't think of anything more positive and hopeful. For people like me, who have saved and are sitting on a ton of cash, the world is only beginning (hyperinflation notwithstanding).

Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
As I've said before, it's only "doom and gloom" to commissioned personnel and homedebtors. To uninvested people like me, a falling home price scenario is a beautiful, budding flower, and I couldn't think of anything more positive and hopeful. For people like me, who have saved and are sitting on a ton of cash, the world is only beginning (hyperinflation notwithstanding).
Univested...so you rent? How long have you been sitting on the sidelines waiting to buy? It seems as though even with the current soft market - even if you had purchased in the past five years - you would be better off today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio