Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:23 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times

Advertisements

What will be the impact to the tourist service industry in SA if Trump implements his plan to reduce the illegals that currently are employed ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 07:23 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Fewer workers in the labor pool = higher wages.

What's the problem?

Old 11-25-2016, 08:11 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
What will be the impact to the tourist service industry in SA if Trump implements his plan to reduce the illegals that currently are employed ?
Not happening, (the reduction of illegals) that is.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:12 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Not happening, (the reduction of illegals) that is.
It's way down from the early 2000s already.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:03 AM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

What's the problem?
and conversely higher cost of whatever you are buying.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:15 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's way down from the early 2000s already.
Let me be more clear. A reduction of illegals is not happening because of Trump. Sorry to disappoint those that voted Trump for that reason but then again I could be wrong. I am all for curbing the flow of those that come in illegally because it is not fair to those that do the immigration process legally which can take years.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:20 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
The construction industry hires a lot of these folks and many are self employed doing remodeling, painting, etc. The best masons I've ever seen come from Mexico. If these people leave or are sent back, they will be missed. These folks work on houses that they can't afford to buy and to me, that's criminal. No, they don't need to live in the Dominion but even the absolute cheapest new house they can't afford for what they make. Many don't make 500 bucks a week and that's for a 60-80 hour week. Think cost of home ownership is high now? Just wait until the illegals are gone. I'm in favor of building the wall. We need to stop the ones coming across the border that have no want for a better future. There are many coming that are not even from the American continent and their reasons for being here is to do damage and to kill. While the wall is being built, we need a system that will allow "illegals" who want to come here to work and pay taxes, just like me and you. Most of them I know would prefer it like that as they are good folks and don't like being "illegal" but they also have the love for where they were born, kinda like most Texans. For me, it's the wall- yes, find a way to get the ones that want to work over here legally- yes, make those that hire them subject to same laws that you and I work under- yes. Slamming the doors on someone who just wants to work for a better future for their kids but wasn't fortunate enough to be born here is just wrong. Jeez, we have hundreds of thousands born here that are too lazy to work. Maybe we can do an exchange...........

Old 11-25-2016, 12:44 PM

1,038 posts, read 876,275 times
if anyone thinks trump will follow through on most of his promises, they're dead wrong.

he's already back-pedaling as per his NYT interview a couple of days ago... Gotta love the fact that he got so many folks irate enough to vote for 'change' and soon they'll realize he's merely a brilliant showman who's nothing like what they expected.

The term 'laughing all the way to the White House' seems like it might be apropos.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

What's the problem?

I didn't state a "problem". I asked a question. Thank you for your answer.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:42 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I didn't state a "problem". I asked a question. Thank you for your answer.
Well, there ARE ways to enter this country legally with a work visa. Does that program need updating? It's quite possible - but that's another discussion. I've seen GOOD masons that left the business over the years, simply because they weren't willing to work for the low wages that an illegal will. That migrated....now, many carpentry crews are largely comprised of illegal workers.

Will it drive prices up? Likely - but why should some sectors be largely "free" of the low wage scale workers, reap the benefits of the cheap labor - and then tell other workers in those trades their jobs shouldn't be protected?

TrapperL - love ya like a brother, and you and I go back MANY years - but I'm afraid we're going to disagree on this one. Cheaper labor is NOT a reason to "excuse" illegal workers. They need to go through the proper channels, just as many others have over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio