Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 09:37 PM

7,120 posts, read 11,791,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristhianagui View Post
Thank you Cowboys Fan, I'm guessing the only difference besides the obvious $$ is that some older neighborhoods are just well old? from the homes to the area itself? or is crime and schools also a factor.
There are "good" neighborhoods with higher crime rates, and poorer neighborhoods that are relatively crime-free. A LOT depends on the willingness to "invest" in YOUR neighborhood. I lived in the middle of an area back in the late 70's that was considered "hood rat central", but for about a 6 square block area, we were relatively crime free. If we saw something out of place, we'd either check it out or call the PD to do so. We KNEW our neighbors, and we all watched out for each other.

The "mi barrio" mindset is what can get you in a bad neighborhood. As noted, most of us get along with each other just fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 09:40 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,413,504 times
I think you should do some research and base your decision on finding the house and neighborhood you like most, according to what you can afford. Personally, I don't think ethnicity should be a big factor in the decision. Granted, this opinion is coming from an anglo dude who (perhaps) hasn't walked in someone else's shoes, but I don't think that is (or has to be, at least) an issue in Texas. I have family in California and, frankly, I think the vibe here tends much more toward acceptance (even affection) than it does there.

My best friend here (in Houston) is from Mexico and he has not ever felt discriminated against. Granted, that is a personal thing, and he is very self-confident. He has cousins who are 3rd-generation Californians who don't feel that way. Maybe California is different, I dunno.

As for me, my neighbors on either side are from Mexico and Argentina. They are terrific neighbors. I should also say that they behave like classy people, probably better than most US natives. So ... i think that is my key idea: it is more our behavior that determines how people react to us, not the minor details of our appearance or our accents.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:46 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,377,657 times
Default Opinion,

Petty crimes? Yes sure this stuff happens and can happen anywhere. It is said that most Break and enter crimes happen in the day time. Thieves are everywhere.
Search on the outside of Outer Loop 1604 on the north- northwest side of the city and look for well maintained, uncluttered neighborhoods. These are newer areas and tend to be less crime ridden. There may be opposing opinions entered here about this area as I have before...... read posts on here stating that the far northwest side of San Antonio is not so good.
That area has always been good to me. Nice homes, nothing fancy - priced in the 140 to 150's and up are out there.
Best of Luck and welcome, Mexican Yank.
Quote:
Thank u Huckster. May I pick ur brain n ask about some of those neighborhoods? I know there's a lot of Latin decent so I'm guessing there's a wide mix of latin throughout in good and bad areas? I also hear there's a significant amount of petty crime scared, not really in just one area what's your take on that?

Old 11-25-2016, 10:09 PM

641 posts, read 798,328 times
Quote:
I've done a lot of research about San Antonio and Dallas/FtWorth since I'm looking to move with my wife and kids from NY (tired of snow)
I don't want to offend or sound racist, heck I'm Mexican/American so please don't hate I'm just looking to get some questions answer and would appreciate your help.
On a lot of sites, there is info about best places to live but they seem to be aimed at whites or people making over 100,000/yr. Don't want to stereotype but usually, blacks or latinos aren't in the best of neighborgoods (not all of course) and a lot of us do want a better life for ourselves and loved ones, so my questions are

Can somebody find a home for 100,000 or 150,000 in a decent area? or are homes at that price range usually found in lower income unsafe areas? do you feel unsafe because of the crime statistics or because you are a different ethnicity? what about the schools? I know what u read on-line is different that being there in-fact I have talked to some people from TX and they are surprised to know that texas crime rate is higher than NY. I read the forum and seen the moving to TX questions but would like to hear from all walks of life about my questions and if you like to add anything else, by all means

I hope nobody finds this offensive like I said I'm just looking to have some questions answered. I thank you in advance.
I'm black...

I believe nice, fairly new homes in the 100k - 150k price range in superb areas are a thing of the past. You're really 4 years too late. You may still be able to find some old houses in decent areas in that price range. So to answer your questions. Yes those homes will be found in lower income areas but they may not necessarily be unsafe. It could be an older area that's a little seedier than the "better" parts of the same area.

I don't feel unsafe at all over here. With crime anywhere you have to understand that 90% of heinous violent crime victims know the attacker. If you keep bad company (and there's a lot of it down here) then you should worry about that. But your chances of being a victim of violent crime from a complete stranger is very low. It's even lower if you have street smarts and common sense. Property crime is big in DFW (day time burglary, theft, etc).

I don't feel unsafe being black in DFW at all. In fact, I feel safer. I'm an athletic muscular black guy. Maybe, just from appearance alone, I'm seen as a threat to some people and knowing that makes me feel safer. Implicit Bias is big here but outright racism is almost non existent. This is nearly a minority majority metroplex and it's still apparent when you are in urban areas or on the borderlines of urban/suburban areas. You'd have to go further into the burbs or rural areas to find the stereotypical Texans that most americans think of when they think of TX. A lot of your child's success in school will depend on your involvement. The better rated schools will be in the areas of people with higher annual income. Even then, you can find good schools and great teachers in several areas around DFW.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:48 PM

25 posts, read 23,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My husband is Hispanic and has lived here all his life. He grew up in Live Oak, a suburb on the NE side, and says there was some racial tension at the high school he went to. That's the only time he can remember race being any kind of issue for him.

The kind of neighborhoods where the houses are 100,000 or 150,000 are not really the bad kinds of neighborhoods you're thinking of. Some of them are in areas of town that are considered less desirable by people with lots of money, but they're really just normal places to live. We paid 130,000 for our house seven years ago when it was new. Our neighborhood is a mix of people, with the majority being Hispanic. Some don't speak English, but most do. The crime we have in our area is the same kind I saw other places, cars getting broken into or the occasional home break-in. I haven't had any of those problems in the time we've lived here, just heard about them from other people. There are a lot of school districts in San Antonio and that has some relationship to what parts of town are considered good parts of town to live in. Alamo Heights, Northeast and Northside are supposed to be the desirable school districts. We live in NISD.
Thank you very much Hedgehog_Mom very informative info.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:45 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,112,913 times
If you're really worried about crime, try one of the crime tracking sites like spotcrime.com and compare your neighborhood crime to when you think you might like to live. If you only look at the new area it will be a little scary because a lot more goes on than you know. That's why I find it's best to compare it to an area that you are comfortable in.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:55 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,237,062 times
Totally a non-issue. The most diverse side of town is the north/northeast side. The most affluent school district, Alamo Heights ISD, is roughly one third Hispanic. Northside, primarily on the northwest/far west side of town,the largest and one if the better districts, is predominately middle class. All schools in Northside ISD are Hispanic majority now. Twenty five years ago, this was not the case. Come on down!

PS - I relocated here from the Boston area, and the dynamic with Hispanics is much different than the northeast. Hispanics in San Antonio come in many classes, pigments, income levels, and education levels.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:08 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,322,885 times
My area in the Far NW is not that expensive and very diverse. We have white, black, Hispanic and suprisingly a good number of Asian descent families. Never seen any trouble based on ethnicity. In fact, the crappiest neighbors are white as the driven snow. Bad kids, can't control their dogs.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,988,163 times
For $150k, try the Richardson in the Dallas area. Some older homes with good schools nearby and a fairly safe place to live.

Most important for you is trying to determine what constitutes "safe." Understand that many people think any neighborhood that's less than 90% white is "unsafe"...so definitely do your research to find all the great gems.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 PM

7,120 posts, read 11,791,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
In fact, the crappiest neighbors are white as the driven snow. Bad kids, can't control their dogs.
Called "Trailer Trash" for a reason......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio