U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:50 PM

546 posts, read 2,911,774 times

Advertisements

This sucks, first Earl Abels (which is still open, albeit on Austin Highway, but to me, the original location was an icon of San Antonio), now this, ugh! I wonder what will happen to the famous pig statue in Southtown?

Mired in debt, Pig Stands close doors

Moderator cut: Copyrighted material
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 10:32 PM

170 posts, read 724,574 times
Awww...I did not know the pig stand was closing. I must say I have never been there to eat...but it has been part of the Broadway landscape for a long time. It's like a relic.

I used to go to Earl Abels (old location) for the genuine funky 70's atmosphere...but I'm pretty sure the new location just does not have the same feel.

What next...are they going to close down the Alamo?!

Old 12-01-2006, 03:08 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,800,688 times
I doubt they close for good, the two SA locations are the only money making locations, the one is Galvaston is the reason they closed, because they owed on it.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:34 AM

944 posts, read 2,881,904 times
I saw one pig in 210's photos. While I have no clue what it is, I do believe that these are the kinds of things that should be preserved because they give a place its character, a soul that is hanging by a thread in many places in the country. Kids today are going to grow up, and, perhaps in the year 2036 they might tear down a Borders or Starbucks near their childhood house or something. Are they going to lament this? I doubt it. "Oh, remember that Chipotle grill?" Response: "Yeah, I do. I'm reminded of it every time I drive past an identical one every half mile." People in the future are not going to have landmarks to miss because of the homogenization of our cities. The older among us (I'm in my 40s) are fortunate to have been born in an era in which we could develop memories around truly unique landmarks.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:57 PM

80 posts, read 369,092 times
That was sad news.
Not sure if they'll reopen under that name.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 17,881 times
Default The return of Pig Stand

Good News! If everything goes well, the Broadway Pig Stand should be re-opened in early January, 2007. There is also a fair chance that the Southtown Pig Stand may also be back. Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,080 posts, read 34,820,791 times
There's a long article on the front page of today's Express-News about the last remaining Pig Stand.

MySA.com: Metro | State (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA040308.01A.PigStand.38a7856.html - broken link)

Before reading this article, I had no idea how widespread the Pig Stand chain once was or that the chain claims to be the originator of chicken-fried steak, onion rings and Texas Toast.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 AM

8,399 posts, read 21,066,633 times
Wow, this thread revival scared me a little! I thought the Pig Stand was closing (again)!

We've eaten there once, if only for the opportunity to say we did. We've been meaning to go back but haven't found ourselves in the neighborhood; but the wife keeps saying we need to go back there and maybe the trip needs to be made. Not like it's that far away from us, it is just that there are so many great places to eat between where we live and it that it is easy to get distracted!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,080 posts, read 34,820,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Wow, this thread revival scared me a little! I thought the Pig Stand was closing (again)!
Sorry about that.

Quote:
We've eaten there once, if only for the opportunity to say we did. We've been meaning to go back but haven't found ourselves in the neighborhood; but the wife keeps saying we need to go back there and maybe the trip needs to be made.
I still haven't been to this last location on Broadway, but I've been to the one on S. Presa that's now closed. The prices were very reasonable and the food was good.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 AM

4,278 posts, read 8,742,009 times
I was about to say it's already closed...I see this is an old thread.

I was very bummed when the one on S. Presa closed, as now we just have a vacant building there and it looks crappy. Not to mention it was always filled with police, so I always felt like if I needed one, they were very close by
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio