Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 08:17 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,766 times

Advertisements

I would look at Boerne. I also like New Braunfels but is just bigger I like Boerne as it is small and close to the parts of San Antonio I like the most. It also just doesn't seem as hot but maybe is my imagination.....

For retirement though I REALLY like the Tyler area(yes I know NOT close to SA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Moved here from New England ten years ago and don't regret it for a second. My car, house, and office are all air conditioned. Summers down here are way easier to take than New England winters. Like a previous poster said, I actually made a couple of test runs in August to see if I could tolerate it. No contest. Piece of cake.
Newtexan, we are getting ready to do the same thing. Winters in New England are brutal! I call it living in the tundra. What part of San Antonio did you pick to move to? We are still exploring areas!

Old 08-30-2017, 08:34 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Newtexan, we are getting ready to do the same thing. Winters in New England are brutal! I call it living in the tundra. What part of San Antonio did you pick to move to? We are still exploring areas!
I'm in the Bulverde Rd/1604 area. Stick to the north side outside 410, or outside 1604. Inside the loop there's Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills and Olmos Park, the bubble towns (old money). More suburban areas outside the city are Boerne and Helotes, both great towns. If you want more rural, I'd look around the town of Bulverde, Spring Branch or Canyon Lake area. What's your budget? What part of Maine are you moving from? I graduated from UMaine-Farmington in the 90s, and still have friends in Presque Isle and Hallowell. Even if you don't have kids, it's not only about school districts, but high school attendance zones within those school districts. Oh, and school districts here are not synonymous with town boundaries the way they are in NE. One think to remember, if you buy, plan on forking over 3 percent of your home's value every year for property taxes. There's no state income tax, but the government will get ya somehow.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:59 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I'm in the Bulverde Rd/1604 area. Stick to the north side outside 410, or outside 1604. Inside the loop there's Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills and Olmos Park, the bubble towns (old money). More suburban areas outside the city are Boerne and Helotes, both great towns. If you want more rural, I'd look around the town of Bulverde, Spring Branch or Canyon Lake area. What's your budget? What part of Maine are you moving from? I graduated from UMaine-Farmington in the 90s, and still have friends in Presque Isle and Hallowell. Even if you don't have kids, it's not only about school districts, but high school attendance zones within those school districts. Oh, and school districts here are not synonymous with town boundaries the way they are in NE. One think to remember, if you buy, plan on forking over 3 percent of your home's value every year for property taxes. There's no state income tax, but the government will get ya somehow.
I have an older son that graduated from UMaine-Farmington back in 2014. Great little area and school. We do have a 12 y.o son and that's why the school system is important. He's a real bright kid. We are not going to buy, just rent. My son and I will come back to Maine during the summer to our cabin. My husband will be working inside loop 410 on the western side and knows he will have to travel.

Our rental budget is $1800- $2200 p/month. We live about 25 minutes from Hallowell, great little town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio