Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 08:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,029 times

Advertisements

I though I heard something like that, too. She was murdered, but from everything I can find it says that her case is still unsolved to this day. I know Lucas confessed to almost a 100 killings, and maybe hers was one of them. Later, though, police thought he made them all up, and he was only charged with killing 3 or 4 people, she wasn't one of them. Does any body remember the year she was killed? I know she was alive in 1977 and Lucas arrested in 1983. The Farmer's Daughter lasted until 1996.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:39 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,230 times
This is a painting my sister did of Mission San Jose. Just wanted to share it.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:26 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,901 times
And something about that place resonated with me and has stuck in my mind all this time. That one time, I could FEEL a history speaking to me. It wasn’t ghosts, it was a Sense of Place dying. As a teenager, I used to fantasize about opening my own restaurant. I used to imagine the menu. It wasn’t until I started doing all this research into the Wolfe’s Inn that I realized the layout of the menu, the font, the entrées, and the look and feel of the restaurant I used to imagine….. that was all from the Wolfe’s Inn.

That is totally fascinating! I will look forward to hearing more about The Wolfe Inn.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,364,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
This is a painting my sister did of Mission San Jose. Just wanted to share it.
Beautiful painting! Wonderful colors and an interesting unpredictable angle! LOVE IT!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
The Pizza Place you mentioned was Luca's Pizza. I posted a little of their history much earlier on this thread. I had a little direct history with those guys.
I know that if you go to Hazleton, PA, you'll probably find them. I use to talk to one of the younger guys and he told me that they came from there. You know about the drugs and the rest......

Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
I know that if you go to Hazleton, PA, you'll probably find them. I use to talk to one of the younger guys and he told me that they came from there. You know about the drugs and the rest......
Noooooo!!! Do tell!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 AM

13 posts, read 38,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg1208 View Post
On occasional trips out IH 35N from SE San Antonio I remember a
restaurant at 35 & F.M.3009 that had a big cowboy figure out in
front by the intersection . It might have been Country Corner or
"Kountry Korner " . I seem to remember the radio station KKYX had a big
cowboy figure they used for special events, might have been the same one. There is a diner called Abel's there now , does anyone know if that's the same bldg ?
It was Country Corner and the building was tore down and replaced with a Valero right in front of Abel's Diner. I think I saw the Big Cowboy out on IH 10 west somewhere around the Camp Bullis area not to long ago.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 AM

13 posts, read 38,506 times
satx56: Wasn't Champions Dance Hall on the corner of 410 and 181 s. or am I confusing that with the Silver Saddle? Or could it have been Champions Silver Saddle. Anyway, I remember old man champion was in a wheel chair and would still get out on the dance floor with some pretty girl and wheel around to the music. I frequented Hill Top most of the time because if you sat way in the back corner the waitress would let you buy beer regardless of your age. Those were the days!

Last edited by Cibolo Rider; 12-01-2008 at 09:48 AM..

Old 12-01-2008, 01:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
Heh!! Hi CR, I don't recall the Champions name at all. All the years of my recollection "Silver Saddle" was at the corner of 181 S. & 410. Seems like I may recall it being changed to SS or to something else from SS later on! Champions only rings bells as a present time sports bar I think I've been to!! Hilltop a little further out 181 just before the Elmendorf cutoff! Hill Top was legendary..it was around a long time! I don't recall ever actually going to either for dancing. Me and a buddy did drop some girls off at Hill Top. It was after the "Pleasanton Cowboy Homecoming" big street dance. That was around 1972 and Mel Tillis was there! We came back from the coast just in time for the dance. Myself and three buddies! Don't recall what time we got out of there. There was another Big barn looking building inside 410 on Presa(181) about a third of the way towards Military Dr. Don't recall what that was at one time!! Golden Stallion on Ackerman was my principal hangout. Although I went to "Randy's" occasionally. I also went pretty regular to dances in Castroville and Quihi!! Those were the days!!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:07 PM

35 posts, read 115,895 times
Cool Silver Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibolo Rider View Post
satx56: Wasn't Champions Dance Hall on the corner of 410 and 181 s. or am I confusing that with the Silver Saddle? Or could it have been Champions Silver Saddle. Anyway, I remember old man champion was in a wheel chair and would still get out on the dance floor with some pretty girl and wheel around to the music. I frequented Hill Top most of the time because if you sat way in the back corner the waitress would let you buy beer regardless of your age. Those were the days!
Yes, the Silver Saddle was at Loop 410 & S.Presa and was owned by
the Champion family. The building is still there but i don't think they
are open for any kind of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio