Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 PM

13 posts, read 78,742 times

Advertisements

hey is there anybody here from the northwest side that has those golden memories. what about the alladins castle at ingram park mall. or a little closer to home the drive in where the heb mercado is at on culebra and 24th. there was also a gw jrs on calaveras and culebra. what about that place on fredericksburg road, it was a pool place and had games. it had an irish name i think and on the weekends alot of gangsters (you know who you are white hats) used to hang out in front. the woodlawn park, jefferson, culebra park, loma park, and ingram hills area was and still is a great place to live.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 PM

i went to the one on bandera and woodlawn where some rent a tire place is. actually the shopping center is called varsity village.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:52 PM

i believe there was also a po folks on the southside. anybody remember where?

Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 PM

does anybody remember the kfc on bandera. it was right at the bandera and culebra y. now it is a parking lot right next to the valero. right next to the dominos and janies records strip.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westendwero View Post
i believe there was also a po folks on the southside. anybody remember where?
Yeppers...there was one just in front of Windsor park mall too close to where the Olive Garden is now.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:16 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times
[quote=Paka;1207711]Yeppers...there was one just in front of Windsor park mall too close to where the Olive Garden is now.[/QUOTE

I could be wrong but was it not at the corner of 35 and Walzem where Las palapas is at now?

Old 08-04-2007, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,376 times
anyone remember a hippy shop that sold all kinds of beads ,pipes tshirts ?it was close to a puffy tacos? and close to hawthorne elementary school? close to french street too? a little white building.it was there in the 70's

Old 08-04-2007, 05:31 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,921 times
[quote=Willsatx;1208491]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Yeppers...there was one just in front of Windsor park mall too close to where the Olive Garden is now.[/QUOTE

I could be wrong but was it not at the corner of 35 and Walzem where Las palapas is at now?
Actually ya'll are both wrong, it's where the IHOP is now. There was a Gas Station where Las Palapas is.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:25 PM

181 posts, read 642,743 times
I remember that place. Good chicken n' dumplings.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 AM

91 posts, read 323,661 times
Wow, I stumbled on this thread while doing some othr research and HAD to register and reply. I was born and raised in SA; grew up on the northeast side and went to Oak Grove Elementary, Garner Middle School and finally MacArthur High (the old campus). My wife is a Jay grad ('87) but she'll almost never admit it... We moved from SA to just outside Nashville, Tennessee 3 years ago when she got a nursing job at Vanderbilt University. To say I'm home sick is a gross understatement!

Anyway, the old shop at North Star Mall with the churros and animatronics was called Whimsy Works. Seems to me there was one at Ingram Park too.

For those who fondly remember Dick's Hobby Shop at Terrell Plaza - Dick Elvey (a.k.a. The Skipper) passed away about 10 years ago. His long-time counter helper, Walter, and I became good friends and we are still in touch (he's doing well, BTW.)

Shakey's locations I remember in SA - San Pedro (between Globe and Solo Serve), Fredericksburg Rd, Nacogdoches and Leonhardt (where Jerry Dean's Cocktails is now) and Austin Hwy across from the Seven Oaks Resort. The Shakey's building still exists on Austin Hwy but has an iron fence around it with an electric security gate. It's almost like someone lives there now...

Here are other oldies I remember:

Magnamart (on San Pedro across from Don Hickman's North Central Ford)

Frisco Electronics ("We beat ANY price!!!)

Dyer Electronics

The barber shop in North Star Mall (where Johnston & Murphy shoes is now; my Dad and I got up early one Saturday morning each month to go get haircuts at 7:30am...)

Pic-a-Pop (On Fredericksburg Rd next to Shakey's and at Walzem/I-35.)

Pix Shoes (one on Walzem, the other on San Pedro)

Kiddie City at Central Park Mall

LOTS of boxes of popcorn from the Sears at Central Park

Alwais' Toy Box stores at Ingram Park, Windsor Park and North Star Malls

Karotkins Furniture Store at North Star

The Four Seasons fountain at Central Park (middle of the mall; my sister and I hoped the water would touch the ceiling!)

I'll leave for now with these...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio