Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 10:57 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times

Advertisements

Does anybody remember a hamburger place on Medical and Fredricksburg, where the whaterburger limited is now? I'm not talking about the Ralley's or Checkers that was there before, this was back in the late 70's, maybe really early 80's? It was called something like Johnny Applseed's, and the burger buns were shaped like an apple. It was owned by a nice Iranian gentleman. However, he closed the place during the Iran Hostage Crisis. I remember my parents saying there had been some threats or vandalism involved.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:25 PM

Some users have already mentioned Luca's Pizza. I've got two good stories about that place. My parents are from the east coast, so we used to eat at Luca's almost every Saturday, primarily at the one in Ingram. The brothers who worked behind the counter there knew us by name. Does anybody remember the layout of the restaurant? In the back was this server's alcove that had all the silverware, napkins, parmesean cheese shakers, and this little door that any one looking at would assume was a mop closet. One day we are sitting there eating our pizza and the two or three sterotypical mafia-looking guys walk in (older men, bulky, open collars with gold chains) and greet old man Luca. Then they all go into the little alcove and open the broom closet. I was walking up to the counter and look over (I must have been 10 or 11 at the time) and I see instead of a broom closet this whole other room in the back with tables and chairs!

Later, around 1990 or so, the Express-News reported that the police had arrested Luca and one of his sons. They had filed a stolen car claim on a Mercedez one of them owned. The police found the car, determined somehow that it wasn't really stolen, so it became an automatic insurance fraud case. Unfortunately, they also found several kilos of cocaine in the car, too. The Ingram store closed very shortly after that. I was surprised to hear on this thread that the Windsor store held out untill the mall finally closed. I would have liked to have gone there again.....

Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I was curious to know in what area it was on.
It was by the Winn's against the concrete wall that runs along Wurzbach. It was real close to the ramp that runs down from Wurzbach into the parking lot.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post

Anyway, the old shop at North Star Mall with the churros and animatronics was called Whimsy Works. Seems to me there was one at Ingram Park too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
While reviewing this LONG thread, I saw the photo of the Whataburger inside Windsor Park Mall. That was Burger Country when it first opened in 1976.

More to come...
Thank You so much for these names! I have tried to remember each of these places over the years and could never remember the names!

Since Whimsy Works was at the entrance to North Star Mall food court, do you remember the Daisy Tea Room at the back of the food court? There was also one at Jackson-Keller and Vance Jackson. The family that owned those Tea Rooms sold them around 1985 and opened up the Upper Crust Bakery and restaurant behind the Gallaghers (now a Taco Tote) on I-10 and Wurzbach. That's where I had my very first job in 1986, as a busboy. That building is now a bar called BoneHeadz, but before it was the Upper Crust Bakery it was built as a restaurant/store front for a winery. You can still see the grapes in the big stain-glass window in the back on the second floor. Does anybody remember the name of that winery place? or know anything of its history? The architecture inside is really different, real California-like. The bar that is there now doesn't do anything to maintain it, which is a shame.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:58 AM

55 posts, read 232,712 times
On a darker note, the movie theatre also showed X-rated movies such as
"The Opening of Misty Beethoven".

Old 09-02-2007, 07:06 AM

28 posts, read 153,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I am surprised no one has mention Wolfe's Inn. It was an old fancy house that was converted to a restaurant on Fredricksburg and Warzbach, where the Hooter's is now. You can still see part of the old stone fence that surrounded it right on the corner.

And what about Stewert Anderson's Cattleman's Company where Sugar's is now?
Thats funny you mentioned 2 places that have real meaning for me. For my senior prom my boy friend and I went to Wolfe's Inn. That was a pretty cool place.

And as far as Stewert Anderson's Cattlemans Company, my husband proposed to me there.

Someone earlier on this thread mentioned radio and TV commercials. I still remember the "Arrow Upholstery" commercial...they sang out their phone number 227-5051. Also the culligan man commercials I remember back when I was only around 3 or 4 years old....that would have been around 1965 or 66 I think.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:09 AM

28 posts, read 153,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Thank You so much for these names! I have tried to remember each of these places over the years and could never remember the names!

Since Whimsy Works was at the entrance to North Star Mall food court, do you remember the Daisy Tea Room at the back of the food court? There was also one at Jackson-Keller and Vance Jackson. The family that owned those Tea Rooms sold them around 1985 and opened up the Upper Crust Bakery and restaurant behind the Gallaghers (now a Taco Tote) on I-10 and Wurzbach. That's where I had my very first job in 1986, as a busboy. That building is now a bar called BoneHeadz, but before it was the Upper Crust Bakery it was built as a restaurant/store front for a winery. You can still see the grapes in the big stain-glass window in the back on the second floor. Does anybody remember the name of that winery place? or know anything of its history? The architecture inside is really different, real California-like. The bar that is there now doesn't do anything to maintain it, which is a shame.
I rmember the Daisy Tea Room. I worked at Hickory Farms around the corner there in North Star. I remember liking that Baked Potato place there in the food court.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,564 times
Question was there ever a handy andy in north star mall

Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 8,747 times
Hi everyone. This is my first posting. Forgive me if I re-ask questions previously answered.

I remember one of the Sound Warehouses on San Pedro. It was on the south side of Ridgeview Elementary. It was across the Street from the Old K-Mart there (now it's a Dollar Tree). I believe the old Sound Warehouse is now a kidney treatment center (before it was a kidney treatment center, it was Oriental Rug Gallery).

At last check, Murf's was still open. I live in the neighborhood and shame on me for not frequenting it more.

What happened to Blauser's Pharmacy? Did they retire?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burwood bomber View Post
Question was there ever a handy andy in north star mall
I believe so, then it became the Walgreen's. I know the Walgreen's was next door to Babbage's at one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio