Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
The Piggly Wiggly on Fredericksburg, if I had to guess was at Northwest Center. It's funny, after not seeing Piggly Wigglys for years, I went Texas A&M from 81-85 and there were Piggly Wigglys all over College Station/Bryan.

I remember the staircase at North Star. It was in the boring part of the mall because upstairs there were just offices, no retail at all. I don't recall the fountain being spectacular or anything, just something for me to toss pennies into.
Remember the HEB Thrift Tex format. They had a store at Northwest Center was that where the old Pig was?
I was at TAMU in the early 70s and that is where we stole our Christmas Trees from.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:40 PM

91 posts, read 323,678 times
Default Fountains at North Star Mall

The fountain with the blue Mexican tile was in front of Frost Bros until the remodel and addition of the Saks wing in 1984-1985. There were two fountains which "rained down" from the ceiling. One was in the court in front of Cinema I/II/III/IV and Joske's (where Luciano's dining area is now) and the other down toward Walgreen's/H-E-B. Both of these disappeared in the mid 80s as well.

Primo - there indeed was a mall entrance along side Rhodes/Liberty House which opened into the old court where Guarantee Shoes, etc. were. This was closed in when Marshall Field's was built in 1985-1986 and the stores were built a little further out in the mall. eliminating most of the open court. I remember the mall entrance as it had an ornate rock wall along a good length of it. I can still hear the buzzing sound from the neon signs above Lerner Shops and Carl's.

Before there was an Oshman's at North Star Mall, there was Cullum & Boren Sporting Goods. Cullum & Boren was bought out by Oshman's and that's how Oshman's ended up at the mall even with their big store across the road...

tcs got the answer to the trivia question - it was Jordan Ford which was at 410 and McCullough before moving out to Live Oak.

Lastly, to tcs and irnag - Gig 'Em!

Macgrad89

Old 09-13-2007, 01:58 PM
tcs

GIG'EM!!!!!

And while at Jordan Ford he bought a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500. Big old V8 with a 2bbl and he went to the Sears Fuel Center on San Pedro and 410 and told the gas guy, "I would like a dollars worth please". Gas was .139 and we think that today 2.49 at the QT is cheap.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
tcs

Man I Need Some Reputation Points, Click That Scale Next To The Message Number in the Blue Bar, I Have Clicked All Of You Guys Already!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
When I have some time I will take 940's piggly wiggly list and inform everyone what is there, also anyone remember the goofy Ford commericals with the guy who would dress up all the time. For thanksgiving he was a turkey, easter he would dress up as a bunny. I would love to see those commericals again, the guys name was Gene Goodson.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:31 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
There was a fountain in front of Frost Bros (as mentioned earlier) which is now Mervyn's. So it was roughly where the escalators are now.

Does anyone remember what was in front of the Luby's before the big remodel of 1980 or so? Was it the same water fountain that's there now, or possibly a different fountain?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:43 PM

91 posts, read 323,678 times
Default North Star Mall Luby's

Ozzy Rules,

One of the postcards I have of North Star Mall shows the area in front of Luby's. Best I can tell the photo was taken around 1965-1966 and shows a round fountain with a single thin spray of water shooting 10-12' in the air. There's also a lot of greenery/trees/shrubs around this fountain. I don't remember ANY of this in the 70s. The fountains which were in front of Foley's have been removed and filled over in the last couple of years as a result of the massive remodeling going on now.

Macgrad89

Old 09-14-2007, 02:49 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
Hey GWhopper...I try hard, VERY hard to forget Aptis, too! You talk about a headless company...well, poor choice of words!
Headless, directionless, leaderless, clueless. There's an aweful lot of words that can describe that place. Unfortunately, the words I would use would get me thrown off this forum. This could be a source of a whole other thread....but who would care?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:58 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
Ozzy Rules,

One of the postcards I have of North Star Mall shows the area in front of Luby's. Best I can tell the photo was taken around 1965-1966 and shows a round fountain with a single thin spray of water shooting 10-12' in the air. There's also a lot of greenery/trees/shrubs around this fountain. I don't remember ANY of this in the 70s. The fountains which were in front of Foley's have been removed and filled over in the last couple of years as a result of the massive remodeling going on now.

Macgrad89
Can you post the image? I'd love to see it!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 AM
tcs

Thanks for the points!

Here is one that is kind of off the trail, but does anybody remember the trolley in Selma? My bud and I went out there one night to look for it. We were on a dirt road and there were only 2 cars on it, ours and the Selma Police. You know where that evening went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio