Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:04 AM

20 posts, read 68,936 times

Advertisements

Even the nuns couldn't stop 281.

Does anyone remember Senorita Barerra on KLRN in the 60's? She had her hair up in a bun. We had to watch it in elementary school to learn spanish. Hola Questa Comes stas? That all I remember about that.

Does anyone remember The CBS Childrens Film Festival with Kukla, Fran and Ollie that would run on KENS at 11:00am on saturday mornings in the late 60's? The had foreign films for kids. The Red Balloon, etc. And I swear, I swear but don't know how it could be that the person who programmed daytime movies on Sunday on KENS must have loved foreign films cause I remember seeing the Shop on Main Street ( a Czech film), Fellini's 8 and a half and other films dubbed into english on Sunday afternoons on channel 5. Does anyone else remember? Wish I could find a TV guide from those days and scan Sundays and see. I think the foreign films were inexpensive to show on the air so they used them as filler between ball games and bowling.

Does King Antonio still go around to all the elementary schools during fiesta week and make an appearance? We used to have to stand outside and he would pull up in his chauffer driven convertible with his crown and cape on. My brother said he tried it once at a high school and got a lot of catcalls and hoots.

I think the actor who played Capt Gus also used to introduce Saturday horror films 5 Star Shock at 3:00. He had a cape.

I remember when Capt Gus came on at 3:00 or 3:30. I'm not sure if it ran an hour or an hour and a half. Everytime he would interview a cute little girl he would ask "How did you get to be so pretty?" The girl would answer "I dunno" and He would always respond "I guess you just worked at it". He said it so often we would shout the reply with him everytime he said it.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:18 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,135 times
We watched that KLRN Spanish show also at Glenoaks Elementary. All i can remember is Tengo catarro, have a cold. We had a B&W tv on a roll around cart, could only afford 1 TV I guess, we had to watch in the cafeteria.
Y tu is another thing.

And watched POPEYE everyday, always got home on time because the bus #63, dropped me off at the front door.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Default Dr. Urrutia

San Antonio, San Antone, Texas

This page is some good reading. I am not saying it is gospel....but I am still researching.

The Urrutia Family name has been well known in Mexico and San Antonio since its the late 1600s. There is one story in San Antonio about a headless angel onced located on Urrutia property near Brackenridge Park and now owned by Southwester Bell. As the story goes, at one point during a Mexican revolution the Urrutia family had captured a peasant and cut his tongue out during the revolution to prevent him from talking. In vengence, a daughter of the family was caught and beheaded. Consequently Dr. Urrutia having great love for his daughter and missing her then had a headless statue built in her memory. A granddaughter of the family told this author that the truth was nothing more than a piece of art in the way of a statue that was brought from Europe.

The story of the headless angel's arrival is an odd one in itself. When the angel arrived at the docks, she was returned by the shippers because they thought she had been broken during the voyage. On the third attempt to ship the angel to the Urrutia family, the angel proceeded on its journey after the workers had been told that the statue was suppose to look like it did. The statue is a reproduction of Nike of Samonthrace Greek, ca.190 B.C. presently displayed in the Louvre. The windblown Winged Victory has her wings spread out as though she has just landed on the front of a sailing ship. Anyone wanting to start their own tale or simply want to display the statue in their home or office garden may attain a reproduction for under $5,000.0.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
We used to go to Electric light and sound all the time. Sit on those carpet covered risers and cubes. It was still Mama's when we left SA in '89. And the bottle rocket wars MAN! After a night of throwing those things around we were going to my buds house off West Ave and I tossed one into an on coming car. Their drivers window was down and the rocket went into the car and blew up on the rear deck. Funny thing, the guy kept driving. I thought for sure we were toast.
He probably didn't because in all likelihood he probably soiled his underwear.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortscorner View Post
I remember the Sinclair Dinsoaurs outside Wonderland in the late 60's and the plastic dinos you could create fresh in the machines. I have photos I will try to find and post.
Finally, someone can validate my story!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:32 AM

20 posts, read 68,936 times
Here's a good website what shows where the goodyear blimp was stationed during the late 60's early 70's. It was north of Houston but must have spent a lot of times buzzing the skies of SA.

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Texas, Northwestern Houston area

Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortscorner View Post
Here's a good website what shows where the goodyear blimp was stationed during the late 60's early 70's. It was north of Houston but must have spent a lot of times buzzing the skies of SA.

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Texas, Northwestern Houston area
That is an excellent website for aviation history buffs! I spend a lot of time just surfing through it...

Cheers! M2

Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,187 times
I would like to see the piggy wiggly pics.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:20 PM

34 posts, read 107,349 times
i am sure it has come up before but remeber little hipps near downtown and all the fuss
when it closed down Just FYI but Timbo on Peal park way is little hipps reopened
they moved to Spring Branch after little hipps closed and now they are back in town
same great food and the same tables ( Cold beer too ) Tim Lane still runs the place Welcome To Timbo's - Cold Beer, Good Food, & Good Cheer!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Very Good to know! Little Hipps was a long time tradition and if Timbo's is serving the same fries, then Timbo's will be too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio