Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 AM

15 posts, read 70,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Question for the experts of the board, back in the late 70's and 80's what was located on Jones Maltsburger where Wal-mart is today? What about the whole block up to 410?
Going south on Jones Maltsburger from 410: on the right was the Denny's with the Albert Pick Motel wrapped around it. The Brittney Apartments (which are stiil there) followed by 4 houses (which is where the fire station is now). Homes continued on after that short street. Rector, i think.
On the left across from the apartments was a long strip center (had a great little bike shop in it). Followed by the street. Then a small strip center (maybe 3 business's) first was a Jiffy Mart, then a hair dress place, and I can't remember the third business. From there it was fields and an old house about 40 yards down. My first job was at that Jiffy Mart. If I remember correct, both of the streets on the left (east-side of Jones Maltsburger) were built later. There was a street that ran between them close to where the fire station parking lot is which had the Jiffy Mart on it. Walmart was just a big lot.

Last edited by huffjs2000; 10-17-2007 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: street change

Old 10-17-2007, 10:45 AM

22 posts, read 83,520 times
Default 410 at JM

Wasn't Jordan Ford across the street from the Albert Pick? I remember the little shopping strip south of the apartments coming later. I remember hanging in a field there some before. I graduated from Lee in 78. Man this thread alone needs to have a get together. Did any of you ride dirtbikes back where they were constructing 37? I was the guy with the blus Kawasaki 100. This was in 74-75 when they had to halt construction while they worked out the environmental lawsuits in Olmos Basin. How about using cardboard boxes to slide down the hill behind Kiddie City?, or just hauling down it on your banana bikes. How about the field behind Mr Ms on McCulloch. This was a huge place to hang on weekends to drink various liquids purchased by our older siblings for us. Also I remember someone building caves in the field where the Century Building is now or maybe they were construction starts. But I remember playing in and around them.
Just thought of something they guy that owned the house across from the entrance to Rexford off of JM seems like he had his fence taking out like four times between 1965 and 1975. I remember the last time it happened I watched from my motorcycle as he had to be restrained from killing the kid that did it. Most of the time it was guys racing from the light at Sunset to the light at 410. JM got tricky right there is it went up a rise and the road tilted to the side. Thusly dumping out of control muscle cars into this guys backyard. Funny now but he was not amused.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,058 times
The Brittany Apts. There where we had our first beer party in hign school (1970). Miller High Life!!!! Auh the first drunk, and only on 2 beers.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:49 PM

20 posts, read 68,932 times
Chula Vista was or is the name of the apts at the south end of Walmat on JM. Brittany was on Sunset and JM or was that the Sandalwood Apts?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:16 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I remember the JC Penny's on Fredricksburg in the shopping center that had a pancho's was open till the very early 90's.
I believe that was Northwest Center

Old 10-17-2007, 01:21 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I remember Rhodes in Wonderland Mall, and for some reason I remember Handy Andy...was it Central Park Mall?...that had a service where they would give you a number for your groceries and then you would bring your car underground (??) and they would put them in the car for you. Wow. And the Scriveners Tea Room! Oh, I miss that place. Everyone knew you by name.
I think you are thinking of Wonderland, but it was not underground. If I remember, there was a steep hill and you could be loaded at the top or bottom of the hill and the area was all covered. I think 940? or somebody posted a picture that has a good shot of the area. But if you went around the corner, you were below Rhodes etc.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
I believe that was Northwest Center
Yes it is, Peter piper pizza is at the old JC Pennys location.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:19 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
I have vague memories of a red train car, like the engine or the caboose, being on display somewhere, someplace inside. Would have been during the 70's probably.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:45 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have vague memories of a red train car, like the engine or the caboose, being on display somewhere, someplace inside. Would have been during the 70's probably.
Could that have been the building over near Evers and 4-10? Used to be a Wendy's at one time? If not, do you remember what part of town?

There is a train car inside the spagetti works, but I don't think that was put there until the 80's.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
I don't think it was at 410/Evers. I didn't venture that far west when I was a kid. But it could have been somewhere in the NW or NC areas.

No, it wasn't Spaghetti W either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio