Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 03:13 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times

Advertisements

Regarding Big John's Steakhouse, I found this tidbit on Wiki:

"Big" John Hamilton, supporting actor, friend of John Wayne, owned and operated Big John's Steakhouse in San Antonio, Texas, appeared in The Alamo (1960 film) (produced & directed by John Wayne at Alamo Village, The Deadly Companions (directed by Sam Peckinpah at Alamo Village, Two Rode Together (directed by John Ford at Alamo Village, McLintock!, Bandolero! (filmed at Alamo Village, Hellfighters', The Undefeated, and The Sugarland Express (directed by Steven Spielberg).

Old 12-05-2007, 03:19 PM

If anybody is curious as to what John Hamilton looked like, I found this on the web. He's the guy on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mystery48.jpg  

Old 12-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Does anybody know where Bowen's Mill used to be? I think this was in Alamo Heights, on the banks of the San Antonio. If anybody has any memories of this place, or knows any information about it and would share it, I would really appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-bowensmillsa.jpg  

Old 12-05-2007, 05:25 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
You lived on the Southside and you never went to the Donkey Lady Bridge? The DLB was located on Apple White Rd. Unfortunately it is gone. The one lane bridge has been turned in to a 4 lane road and is very close to the Toyota. That place was scary for sure.
The bridge is still there, as is the road that leads up to it. You just have to park past Toyota and before the new bridge, and look for the old road on your right. Walk down and you can see the bridge.

Or, you can take the immediate right once past the new bridge and follow the road until it makes a sharp left down by the creek. Jump over the guardrail and the old Donkey Lady Bridge is right there.

We were just out there a few weeks ago. I am glad it is still standing.

Cheers! M2

Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,153,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Does anybody know where Bowen's Mill used to be? I think this was in Alamo Heights, on the banks of the San Antonio. If anybody has any memories of this place, or knows any information about it and would share it, I would really appreciate it.
I found this information but I'm not sure if it's related...the location is downtown and not Alamo Heights...I'm also wondering if this could be part of the old homestead mentioned below...the mill might have been included since this land was originally bounded by either the San Antonio River or by the acequia (Acequia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

"Bowen's Island
North side of the Tower Life Building at river level
St. Mary's at La Villita
This tract of land was a natural peninsula in the San Antonio River, bounded by the river on three sides and on the fourth by the Concepción acequia. In 1845 John Bowen, who served
San Antonio as postmaster and city treasurer, purchased the property and built a seven-room home on the island. He died in 1867 and was buried on the island. In the 1920s, when the river was diverted, Bowen's Island became part of the mainland."

Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I found this information but I'm not sure if it's related...the location is downtown and not Alamo Heights...I'm also wondering if this could be part of the old homestead mentioned below...the mill might have been included since this land was originally bounded by either the San Antonio River or by the acequia (Acequia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

"Bowen's Island
North side of the Tower Life Building at river level
St. Mary's at La Villita
This tract of land was a natural peninsula in the San Antonio River, bounded by the river on three sides and on the fourth by the Concepción acequia. In 1845 John Bowen, who served
San Antonio as postmaster and city treasurer, purchased the property and built a seven-room home on the island. He died in 1867 and was buried on the island. In the 1920s, when the river was diverted, Bowen's Island became part of the mainland."
Thanks, 940. I saw that one, too. I haven't had any luck in confirming there was a mill on the land, though. I was wondering if some one who grew up or lived in SA in the old days remembered hearing about the place. If it had it's own postcard, it must have been at least slightly famous.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,239 times
Default Thank you to all!

I just found this site after some period of feeling homesick! I love the warm memories that come flooding back! I grew up in SA- NW side- but moved to Colorado in 1997. I can never move back- but plan to visit- and miss it like hell sometimes. Thanks for the wonderful memories of home- which San Antonio will always be for me.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 PM

43 posts, read 112,677 times
I have a question that someone said would be best asked here...

There is a large wooded area across the street from Ingram Park mall and next to some apartments off the road Timberhill.. It's used as a dumping ground(which it shouldnt be)... Alot of trucks land up getting stuck in the mud out there as well...
Anyways...

There is some sort of building ruins hidden there in the woods and I was curious if anyone knows what used to be out there. I asked some Park Police who were patroling the area what it was and they said they thought it may once of been a truck
stop where they loaded trucks with gravel or something...

What is left is large pieces of foundation... concrete stairs which lead to the lower part where there is a larger building which appears to have been the place where trucks would pull in underneith...

I have also heard stories that it was a limestone mill. I am more or less curious when it was active and when it ceased it's operations.. From the looks of the place it seems it has been more than 15 years since it was last used...

Does anyone have any information what this place was? A history on it? It'd be appreciated.

Ty...

Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,981 times
There are also some old ruins still standing the present day Ventana Apartments are...across from the Flying Saucer. When I was young..that whole area was woods and my buddies and I would go exploring after school.

What we found in that area was a small complex of cobble stone buildings. There was what appeared to be the main home which had a basement or cellar (which was filled in with water). The home was about 1500-2000 sq ft. All the wooden timbers used in the ceiling rood, door frames was charred. There was a small rooms size building, and then what still stands today in the Ventana apartments...was a room size 2 story tower. All of this stuff appeared to be very old. Anyone know the history on this one?....I know it is a long shot.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 AM

88 posts, read 286,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
If anybody is curious as to what John Hamilton looked like, I found this on the web. He's the guy on the left.
Sorry there, GWhopper, but there is no "Big John" Hamilton in that photo. The actor on the left is definitely not him - doesn't look anything like him. Big John Hamilton was a big, tall man, and when he walked into a room there was no question that he was Big John.

He was a family friend, and my dad's collection of 35mm slides had many pics of him at his restaurant and also at his Lake McQueeney waterfront retreat. I need to make the time to go through his slide carousels sometime. Lots of "good old days" in those boxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio