Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 PM

19 posts, read 96,787 times

Advertisements

One of my best friends lived on Rock Creek run, two actually and your first and third initials match one of thier names........hmmmmmmm

Old 01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
tcs

217 posts, read 873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdrummer View Post
One of my best friends lived on Rock Creek run, two actually and your first and third initials match one of thier names........hmmmmmmm
My folks built the house at 3519 and moved back later into 3303 as a rental for a short time.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:26 PM
tcs

217 posts, read 873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Primo and I went hiking out to the backside of Elm Creek this weekend, out by the railroad tracks that cross Salado Creek between Huebner and Lockhill-Selma, looking for any more remaining structures of the Algo Differente. We found a few.

(I would like to point out that neither Primo's girlfriend nor my wife would agree to accompany us on this journey. My wife made some cryptic comment about "getting shanked by railroad hobo's". I didn't think she knew what "shanked" meant)

Oddly, she sounded kind of hopeful.
You know it would be nice that who ever buys that lot where one of the covered sitting structures is could preserve it in their back yard.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:08 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,259,246 times
Speaking of Starcrest, I remember the OxTail Inn in the the shopping center with the gas station at Starcrest and 410. Is it still there? The St. Marys Hall girls would go there for a beer every once in a while.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM

19 posts, read 96,787 times
The farm on Braun/1604 belonged to Joseph Ruemple who was one of the first inhabitants of Helotes. Incidentally, he and Braun, Stuebing, Galm, etc. are responsible for beginning and building Zion Lutheran Church which is across 1604 from the homestead. I research alot for metal detecting historical areas *with permission of course* and located this info. If anyone's interested, google Zion Lutheran Church and check out thier history page. It's pretty much all about the Helotes area. Very detailed.
Tx-

Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,802,847 times
Back in the 1930s-1950s, there was a cool swimming pool called Terrell Wells. It was one of many warm springs around San Antonio. TW had a rotten egg smell to it. The Majestic Theatre had a warm springs source under it similar to Terrell Wells and was used for the Aquarium in the theatre.

Back to Terrell Wells. What was so neat about the place was the large size of the pool and the sled which went into the pool and also the swings built over the center of the pool. It was one of the most popular attractions in San Antonio. Unfortunately it had to close after the owner refused to integrate. Today, the water source exist in a school on the southside of town. It was located off SE Military Highway close to I-35.
I went there many times as a child.

Hot Wells was a very popular spa on the SE side of town on S. Presa just north of Military Hwy. It was before my time. People like Teddy Roosevelt use to go to Hot Wells. It had a hotel and warm springs. The hotel burned down in the 1920's.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 PM

141 posts, read 506,267 times
hey gy2020, how is the owner of Memories doing these days? i used to go into the store and buy movie memorabilia like scripts and posters...he was a great conversationalist and pretty cool ...last i heard he had a shop in that strip center behind CPM off blanco, near the Cathedral Store.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,802,847 times
rex:
I haven't seen him since I moved to St. Louis in 1999. I moved back in 2006. I did get a hold of Ron Sodders last week end. He had a heart attack a year ago, but has managed to survive. He no longer has his business. The last time I saw the gentleman from Memories he was having lung troubles from being around old magazines and newspapers. He was trying to sell his business. I promoted jewelry shows in the early nineties and he use to rent tables to me.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,076 times
Project Terror ("...where the scientific, and the terrifying...emerge... 'Tonight's movie:
Attack of the Mayan Mummy' ") was the Friday night show. For a while a program
called "Five Star Shock" presented monster/mystery movies on saturday evenings. I
think. Those movies scared the bloody-BM out of me. Now they seem so cheezy!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:40 AM

61 posts, read 256,978 times
TOTAL Five Star Shock fan...and earlier in the afternoon, KENS would play Bowery Boy movies. BTW...It was K-E-N-S...and K-S-A-T...don't know when the Kens and K-sat stuff started...but not during my watch!

And while we are on it...when did Brook Army become BAM-see, and thirty-ought-nine become 3-double-oh nine?

I left for a couple of years and then the secret Name Changer Alliance took force! No more Anderson Loop...or Death Loop for that matter...no more McAlister Freeway...no more Pan American Freeway...NIOSA became Knee-OSA...thank GAWD Blanco is still Blank-oh. Who called the meeting and why didn't I get the memo?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio