Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM

305 posts, read 1,617,916 times

Advertisements

To keep that thought going rsasse, my 6th grade teacher at Glenoaks was Miss Lee and was black. She was one of the best teachers I ever had and would tell us about growing up in the time of the Jim Crow Laws. We were in disbelief that less than 10 years before they had all the separate stuff around. I remember her telling us about the separate water fountains. She said curiosity got the best of her one day so she had to try the 'white' fountain. She informed us that it tasted the same.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 AM

34 posts, read 107,326 times
Default McCreless Market( MAll)

just when buy the old mcCreless mall site..
they are starting to work on the New HEB there... here are some pictures that i took ( new Frost bank and not sure if it is a theater or Marshalls
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mcreless-feb-2008-001.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mcreless-feb-2008-005.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mcreless-feb-2008-008.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mcreless-feb-2008-009.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mcreless-feb-2008-010.jpg  

Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mcreless-feb-2008-011.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-mcreless-feb-2008-012.jpg  

Old 02-10-2008, 12:50 PM

92 posts, read 303,286 times
rsasse-I was never into wrestling but the thought of football games at Alamo stadium sure brings a warm toasty feeling. The sound of the drums and the roar of the crowd.
Wearing a thin wind breaker with cold hands and feet but too "cool" to carry a blanket or thermos of coffee. Leave the game early or late to miss the traffic to go "park" on top of sunken gardens. Did not Denny Ezba and the Goldens attend Alamo Heights and play for the school events? Not to be rude, but in high school we heard Ezba had a wire holding an eyelid up and Augie Meyers had a prothesis (rubber) ear. It may have been jealousy rumors. I read where Ezba passed away and Augie is still playing.

Buckhorn- When I was 11 and 12 my aunt would take me on the bus (afraid to drive downtown) to downtown. We would go to the Buckhorn on Houston street to look at the stuffed animals and she would buy me a large package of foreign stamps for my collection. I don't remember the floor, mirrors or the magic tricks store. I guess I was dense or had a one track mind.

Thanks for stiring the football and Buckhorn memory.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:46 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,835,427 times
49, you and I are the same age. While you were buying stamps I was getting the children's rock collection from the Buckhorn and also loved to buy the Mexican jumping beans when I could find them. I also liked the rock candy from the Buckhorn. I would shop at the Buckhorn and maybe take in a movie at the Texas Theatre.
When I was with an adult we always stopped at the Casa Rio for lunch or supper.
Oh, check out my thread on photos of small towns around San Antonio. Just added San Marcos. Now have Gruene, Seguin, New Braunfels, Edge Falls, and San Marcos. Next week will add either Boerne or Wimberley or both.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:26 PM

22 posts, read 72,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManOnBass View Post
Any on remember the Owl Cleaners and White Star Clearners on San Pedro just north of downtown? Back in the day when cleaners would pick up and deliver, you could see the truck from both of these places running all over town. I also remember on the corner down the street from the Owl was an old drug store call Nash's (if I remember correctly). It reminded me of the drug store in "It's A Wonderful Life" It still had a soda/lunch counter and going in there was like going back in time.
Talking about delivery trucks, back in the day, before UPS there was a service called MDS Merchants Delivery Service that would bring purchases from Joske's Frost's.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eily71 View Post
Below is an image of Bowen's Island ca. 1874 showing a mill. It is a scan from my copy of A PLACE IN TIME, a collection of photos from the Express-News archives. The book was published by the E-N in 1980 and is long since out of print.

The Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library on the Alamo grounds may turn up more info on this subject if you are really curious.

Now for the picture.

I may be off, but since the headwaters of the SA River are below Incarnate Word, this can't be in Alamo Heights. As I recall from web scanning, this island is where the Tower Life Building is now

Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eily71 View Post
I did a thumb thru of A PLACE IN TIME....no mention of Avoca. This book actually has very little text...just enough to make one curious lol. Finding nothing in the book , I decided to google and found the reference to the apartments which from the way the reference reads, are part of Incarnate Word student housing. Another link led me to the Early San Antonio History thread on this forum and a post by wCat from 22 February 2007.

So it sounds as if the lost Irish settlement of Avoca is in the Olmos Basin area and may even be underwater due to the dam. Maybe wCat has more info on this?

There are more stories regarding Davy Crockett and his very short stay in San Antonio. That is what makes a hero of mythical proportions, which Crockett and the other defenders have become. Davy Crockett was in San Antonio not quite a month before the Alamo siege began and he stayed in town.....the areas around LaVillita and San Fernando Cathedral. When I worked at the Alamo as a guide, we actually kept a list of stories concerning Crockett and the other defenders. I wish I had copied it before I left in 1982.

As I said in my post upthread....DRT Library is a wonderful place to immerse yourself in the history of the Alamo, San Antonio and Texas in general. Warning: One path WILL lead to another ! lol

And being the trivia addict I am, I googled the meaning of Avoca...."great estuary", "where the bright waters meet" "where the river meets the bay/sea" or "the meeting of waters". There is no fact too obscure, no bit of trivia too small, lol.

Anyway, hope wCat's post helped.
I thought I was a history nut, but I never heard of Avoca. What I did want to share was this. I went to the main library when it was on St. Mary's and Commerce. I found several big volumes called insurance tracts. They showed graphic representations of buildings downtown. There was the old Plaza Theatre, H.L. Greenes.

I used to spend hours looking at these old books which I'm told were used by insurance underwriters for their business.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:05 PM

Speaking of Olmos Dam, does anybody know what happened to all those lamps that used to line the dam before they covered it with cement?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,853 times
Does anyone remember Sugar Daddys, The Last National Bank, Ect?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:56 PM

44 posts, read 192,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09er View Post
Does anyone remember Sugar Daddys, The Last National Bank, Ect?
I remember The Last National Bank! Went there in '76 with a couple of underage friends (I was 18, which was drinking age). They were pretty lax about checking IDs. They took a "look" at one of the girls and said, "how'd you like to enter a wet T-shirt contest tonight?"

This gal was pretty conservative and immediately asked that we leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio