Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 05:42 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Let's see where did I go when I was little. Hmm, my mom and dad used to take me to Luby's. That's it! That's the list! So, unlike Abigailnewrob, I have to say there was only one restaurant. And for that matter, it was a cafeteria.

But once I got older, the places I liked were Maggies, Lyndys, La Fogata and The Original downtown. But for a good time, Dick's on the river was the best. (Legendary for me)
Same for me, every Sunday night was Lubys on Bandera Rd next to the Bruners. Same thing, fish filet, corn, roll and a quart of ketchup. Yummy!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:22 PM

14 posts, read 50,039 times
To Texasborn
The drug store was called Sommers - I think that's the correct spelling.

{Does anyone recall the Rexall Drugstore on the corner across from the Post Office and the Alamo (circa mid-60's)? Twirling on those seats at the soda fountain (cherry coke please with extra cherry, sir). Walgreens will NEVER compare to Rexall}.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:31 PM

catriona

I definitely remember Fantasyland- I wish they had something like that for the kids today.

It seemed so real to me - of course I was a kid but it was beautiful with all the fake snow - it was like a real fantasyland because SA doesn't ever have a white Christmas!! YES and big ole' SANTA on the rooftop of JOSKES!! Great memories...........

Who remembers Fantasyland at Joske's? I loved to go there and see all the little animated displays and ride the train. Remember Santa on the rooftop?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:39 PM

SA GREED
I remember those commercials and just recently saw the one you're talking about. I never understood why they would have the lady say she's returned 4 times - I hope it wasn't for the same furniture each time. That would make it sound like maybe their upholstery re-dos maybe didn't last very long.............

Also I noticed on the Arrow apolstery commercial they are using a different older lady. They had lady from a while back do another commercial I want to say around 5 years ago where she says, “I’ve gone back FOUR times haven’t I?”

Old 02-16-2008, 08:49 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPriss4 View Post
To Texasborn
The drug store was called Sommers - I think that's the correct spelling.

{Does anyone recall the Rexall Drugstore on the corner across from the Post Office and the Alamo (circa mid-60's)? Twirling on those seats at the soda fountain (cherry coke please with extra cherry, sir). Walgreens will NEVER compare to Rexall}.
Walgreen's use to have cafe areas and soda shops too. (I wonder why drug stores have changed.)

Old 02-16-2008, 08:56 PM

Space for rent....
Does anyone remember Friday night "SHOCK" at 10 PM? Didn't Capt Gus play the guy dressed in all black to scare the kids? It had lightning and sound effects that were supposed to scare you and it DID back then.....I believe this aired in the late 50's, early 60's.

{{{ I also remember "Project Terror" on Friday or Saturday night. Used to scare the bejeezus out of me..and that was just the opening! I think it was also WOAI channel 4 that used to play that little blurb before their 10pm news..."Parents, it's 10pm, do you know where your children are?"}}}

Old 02-16-2008, 09:03 PM

Dementia_Impaled
It's called SPLASHTOWN.

It's still there on I35 not too far from the Kirby/Binz Engleman exit.

{{{I've been digging for any info on the waterslide park that was either on 281N or 35N; a kid was sucked into the return pump and drowned, iirc}}}.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:22 PM

irnag
Speaking of the Municipal Auditorium............I went to the Jimi Hendrix concert there in 1967,
I believe it was 67. Can you imagine? Didn't need any drugs.......Jimi had all the seats and
the whole place VIBRATING!! WOW! I remember he played the guitar behind his back and
kept fighting his shadow that showed on his huge speaker until he finally put a hole through
it. Sure wish I would have kept my ticket stubs...probably worth a fortune now. Don't
remember how much the tickets were but they were probably between 5-8 dollars a piece.
WHAT A SHOW!! Not the best of places for his music but I believe it was before the convention
center was built.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 PM

I miss Montgomery Wards! It had everything.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 PM

What was the 1st strip joint for women to go to on San Pedro? Bare ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio