Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 03:16 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times

Advertisements

Hey GBNF's, as I am writing this I have created a new thread. today, I discovered that the Starlite Drive-in is behind a lot of brush and it is all still intact. I took 45 photos of it today. Drop by and enjoy. I am also posting other drive-in photos:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/271482-photos-starlite-mission-other-drive-ins.html

Old 03-02-2008, 03:53 PM

10 posts, read 31,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49 Olds View Post
56 Desoto- thanks for the correct info on the cadillac limo. A very long black shiny car gave the buzz in the neighborhood and the mindset of a hearse.
Mr. Olds.
Do your San Antonio memories go back before WonderLand shopping center was built? Or before 410?
410 was seldom used (except late night drag races) for what seemed a long time. Before the mass migration from the north, south, east and west began in the sixties.
Recall when Siesta Motel's Coffee Shop was one of or the only(?)places that stayed open for the night owls on the Northside.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:12 PM

I remember the Siesta Coffe shop. They had the best coffee in town. I also remember having my 50 chev up to 120 on loop 410, long ago. Still under construction.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I remember the Siesta Coffe shop. They had the best coffee in town. I also remember having my 50 chev up to 120 on loop 410, long ago. Still under construction.
Now you're talkin' great ol' Northside memories!! Siesta not only had the best coffee in town, but served up life saving "get-them-sober-enough-to-drive-home" fare. That was the meeting place for the late night crowd before they went home. Those were great times. Inspiration Hills weekend parties were cool and numerous. Great view of the lights of the city. We watched out for of each other, for the most part. Not as many people as now. No connections anymore.
LONG orange sparks from tail pipes hitting the pavement in the rear view mirrors! Wow! Remember them very well on infant loop 410. Any little dip in the road over 100 mphs. and the car wanted to go airborne. How'd we ever make it to this point in time? Our guardian angles must surely have grey feathers about now.
Later.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Getting ready to add Marion, Cibolo, Schertz, Randolph AFB , Universal City to Towns around San Antonio. Come on over and follow me or wait about an hour and it should be up.
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...n-antonio.html

Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 PM

92 posts, read 303,313 times
56 Desoto- family moved out there in 1955. No 410, no Mall. Mudpuddle posted a couple pics of the area (1947 & 56) in a previous post. We hunted, fished, caught horney toads and killed red ants with lighter fluid. I think the Siesta restaurant was called the Waffle House. Ended many an underage night sobering up on the food to be able to go home. The waitresses were nice. Do you remember Franks Cafe down by the ol Sigmore and Shaffers garage in back, which was across the street from the Lighthouse courts. Erased and Long John Silvers built and now closed. Green Pastures (before 410) was a teen dance club now bank on sw corner of 410 and Fredericksburg rd. Indian Village near where Lubey's located. After 410 was built the ramp off to Fredericksburg road coming from Babcock was such a drop off you could get air borne. I was too young, but my older brother had it down. Your are right about the traffic. Go on a date and coming home at midnight only pass one or two cars. We raced on Louis Pasteur from Babcock going north. Up hill. Our drum brakes were suspect for downhill. Oakhills was another parking spot before the homes were built. Inspiration Hills was scenic. The lights flickering. Not the big hill, but the next street over. No homes in 1959-60. Then we had to move out to where USAA is located. The whole area was honeycombed with gravel roads. Then out to Dell Oak Park.
Development sucked!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 35,215 times
I have been around for awhile. I remember when there were no Expressways any where in San Antonio and Hemisphere Plaza was not there and the area was a very poor part of town. "Kallison's" was "The Big Old Country Store, Right Next To The Big Red Court House in San Antone and Perry Kallison was "The Old Trader " every morning on the radio.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 PM

92 posts, read 303,313 times
Mudpuddle and 56 Desoto – you both seem to have a handle on time, space and location so these questions are aimed at you.

The name of some lounges that have been posted, that I know I have been to. I have an idea, but their locations are foggy.

Blue Note Lounge

Melody Lounge

And the third: the name of the lounge opposite side of West Avenue and close to Jacala. In the early 60’s (we were in our early 20’s) there were a lot of 40 plus women that were divorced or running around and they would mob you when you entered the door.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49 Olds View Post
Mudpuddle and 56 Desoto – you both seem to have a handle on time, space and location so these questions are aimed at you.

The name of some lounges that have been posted, that I know I have been to. I have an idea, but their locations are foggy.

Blue Note Lounge

Melody Lounge

And the third: the name of the lounge opposite side of West Avenue and close to Jacala. In the early 60’s (we were in our early 20’s) there were a lot of 40 plus women that were divorced or running around and they would mob you when you entered the door.
Well now, the Blue Note was definetly an actual music appreciation place.
***** was a wonderful by-product of the music scene but always a vital factor. ***** has more pull than a freight train!! That place you named near Jacala was mostly a dog pound if I remember correcly. Horney women would pay young studs for their time & services. I never fell for that deal. Didn't have to. But it was a wild time if I recall. When did women ever not get what they wanted?? Where are these weak women I hear about?? Women get what they want. There are no weak women in my memories. Women Rule!!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 AM

45 posts, read 176,074 times
Default more bars/lounges

I was at SAC 1963-65 -- wondering whatever happened to the Crystal Pistol (I think on San Pedro or nearby) and Hipp's Bubble Room (with Little Hipp's behind)? As I recall, one of the Hipp's was too dark to read the menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio