Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 07:03 PM

305 posts, read 1,612,768 times

Advertisements

Anybody remember Paul Maries on Zazamora? Or the Black Cow on Nogalitos?

Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,769,285 times
There was a Black Cow on San Pedro briefly in the late 70's, just south of Jackson Keller I believe. It was like a little fast food shack if I recall. They had root beer floats which they called black cows. I still prefer Coke floats more than root beer.

Does anyone remember Simon's Pizza on Blanco? I think it was between Basse and Hildebrand.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,304,433 times
Default Edge Falls near Boerne

I asked this about 20 pages back....so I'll try again. Anyone remember EDGE FALLS? It was up around Boerne and a little fork off the Guadalupe River that went through a ranch up there. It was not open to the public, but the owner looked the other way while we had a ball up there. This was in the early 70's. OMGosh.....it was soooo dangerous....and lots of underage drinking and ...um...whatever! (not me of course!) I drove up there about 10 years ago to find it, and someone near the land said several people died from falls and they finally closed it up. They even dammed the river so that part of the falls is a dry pool now! It was probably best....but under the right circumstances it would have been a beautiful setting for a resort or hotel now.

Please...tell me I'm not dillusional! Edge Falls did exist, right?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 PM

48 posts, read 250,492 times
Default Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
These memories are lots of fun, aren't they!

I remember those little paper coupons from the Highland Hills Pharmacy!

I remember Record Rendezvous in McCreless. Did it move to the Dellcrest center? If so, is it the same two guys that were at McCreless, too?

Since you worked at Joske's, do you remember the name of the western themed restaurant that was on the street level?

You seem to have a lot of memories that I have -- which schools did you attend?

I'll have to ask my older brother or sister if Record Rendezvous was at McCreless Mall. I think it was, but don't quote me on that! And I know the two men there are the same ones that have always been there - even my older brother and sister tell me that.

I'm pretty sure the restaurant on the street level at Joske's was JJ's Cafe. I remember eating there with my friend and getting broccoli cheese soup for the first time. It had the coolest "big trees" at the entrance to the restaurant, that were inside of Joske's.

There was another restaurant upstairs, a more formal one, called the Camelia Room. And there was also a restaurant, or actually a little cafe down in the basement.

I actually attended schools in the East Central district.

Do you remember the big neon "star" light at Frank's Hamburger stand?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:01 AM

546 posts, read 3,095,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
Hey Oz good point of view, never heard that angle brought up before. I think its interesting you say that because, in the book The Secret School there is a part where he relives his first steps as a child (meaning he was a baby again) with his adult mind. There is also a part where he is walking down Broadway St headed for The Secret School, and his mind (for lack of a better term) splits so that he is in San Antonio, and also in a past life he had in Rome where he was heading for the for The Secret School as well. Your right Communion and Fire in the Sky are bad movies. They are both extremely watered down. So much more stuff happened in the book Fire in the Sky, I just dont think they had the time. Communion is really way too deep to try to relay that message or feeling in a movie. I just thought Id ask if anyone has heard of this in SA because so much "suppositly" here, glad you replyed. For the record, I have never seen anything UFOish just fasanated with the topic. I know this is a post for old SA, so lets get back to old SA.

I found a web site that has ALL of the listings of the old drive in theaters in SA. The guy goes out to the site to prove they were there. He tells the exact locating (so sites have the wrong address) and let you know if he found anything there. Some of them he has pictures of it then, and a google map view of how it looks now. He also post some of the ads and articles for these theaters as they were in the old news papers.There were about 20-22 in all (I think). Quite a few that were not mentioned here in this post. I was surprised to find that there was one out at Rigsby, but there is nothing there now a good job was done to clear it out. The one I was asking about off of HW90 and Gen McMullin was called the Kelly. Like I said the screen still stands,it was built with thick steel beams (unlike the other screens "woodys")and is not going anywhere. It is now a junk yard, but the restrooms and consessions stands are still there. There is even a little ticket both near the screen by the road. There was also one near Lackland, and one near HW90 and 410 (the guy kept calling 410, HW13...is that what it was before 410?) called Towne Twin. Nothing remains of these sites. He went out to where the Valley Hi drive in was and found the concrete pilliars that once held up the screens and some old poles that held the speakers still lay around there.

Near there close, or more so in the late 70's a lot of these drive-ins showed x-rated movies. Did anyone gout out there to get their freak on??? I bet those were the days, now its all about BluRay, and the Megaplex. Here is a list of the theaters he has, does anyone remember any more???

Alamo - Bandera - El Captain - Circle 81-
El Charro - Fiesta - Fredicksberg - Highland Park-
Judson4 - Kelly - Lackland - Loop 13-
Mission (duh) - Parkair - Rigsby - Roxy-
San Pedro - Starlite - Towne Twin - Trail-
Valley Hi - Varsity

Here is the Kelly
Attachment 1336

Ad from the Bandera Drive-in.
Attachment 1337

Here is Two of the old Fredericksberg know as "Drive-in", and how it looks now
Attachment 1339
Attachment 1340
Attachment 1341

Opening night ad for the San Pedro drive-in.
Attachment 1342

The Starlite sign and screen.
Attachment 1343
Attachment 1344
Would you happen to have the URL of the Drive-In page you spoke of, I'd LOVE to see it! Also, would you happen to have an address for the Starlite Drive-In? I remember driving past it in Schertz some years ago, but can't recall how to get there - I'd like to check it out again. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2007, 12:38 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,401,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories Galore View Post
I'll have to ask my older brother or sister if Record Rendezvous was at McCreless Mall. I think it was, but don't quote me on that! And I know the two men there are the same ones that have always been there - even my older brother and sister tell me that.

I'm pretty sure the restaurant on the street level at Joske's was JJ's Cafe. I remember eating there with my friend and getting broccoli cheese soup for the first time. It had the coolest "big trees" at the entrance to the restaurant, that were inside of Joske's.

There was another restaurant upstairs, a more formal one, called the Camelia Room. And there was also a restaurant, or actually a little cafe down in the basement.

I actually attended schools in the East Central district.

Do you remember the big neon "star" light at Frank's Hamburger stand?
When did the restaurants close at Joske's?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,126,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I asked this about 20 pages back....so I'll try again. Anyone remember EDGE FALLS? It was up around Boerne and a little fork off the Guadalupe River that went through a ranch up there. It was not open to the public, but the owner looked the other way while we had a ball up there. This was in the early 70's. OMGosh.....it was soooo dangerous....and lots of underage drinking and ...um...whatever! (not me of course!) I drove up there about 10 years ago to find it, and someone near the land said several people died from falls and they finally closed it up. They even dammed the river so that part of the falls is a dry pool now! It was probably best....but under the right circumstances it would have been a beautiful setting for a resort or hotel now.

Please...tell me I'm not dillusional! Edge Falls did exist, right?
wCat..I grew up in SA in the 70s and 80s and remember a lot but I honestly don't remember Edge Falls. I spent a lot of time in the hill country too but that doesn't ring any bells.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:03 PM

305 posts, read 1,612,768 times
wCat, sorry can't help you on the Edge Falls thing, but on doing a Google map search, there is an Edge Falls Road east of Boerne. It crosses the river and follows along the river for a short while. That may be what you speak of.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:29 AM

48 posts, read 250,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
When did the restaurants close at Joske's?
They were all closed right before or with the closing of the store itself. (When it sold from Federated to Dillard's in the late '80's).

Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 31,000 times
Default new here

I have just finished all 31 pages of posts. I moved from San Antonio 17 years ago right before I graduated from Roosevelt. I used to go to Windsor Park Mall all the time, I even made out with a boyfriend in their back service halls. I literally cried when I learned it was dead. I just said last night I wanted to see if it still had those cheesy water fountains in it. I see from the picures they changed those sometime after 1990. Does anyone remember Luca's pizza? They were across from Aladdin's castle on the lower level of the mall. I am so nostalgic and homesick right now, hearing about Solo Serve (also dead?), Baskin Robbins and Winns I used to walk to those on Walzem road (?) when I lived in Windcrest. I hung out at a teeny bopper pool place called Diamond J's. I took my husband there on our honeymoon in '91 just for fun. I remember Joe Anthony on KISS, I have recordings of his show on tape. There has never been a station comparable in Wichita Falls, I thought I had moved to hell when I was 17. Country hell. Thanks everyone for the walk down memory lane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio