Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,311 times

Advertisements

Algo Diferente was going strong as a country club in the mid fifties as my family was a member. Later the club changed ownership and built the golf course portions of which can still be seen in Elm Creek along Lockhill Selma. I dont think the golf course ever opened and the club went bust in the early sixties or maybe even earlier.
Brad

Old 04-24-2008, 11:25 PM

92 posts, read 303,434 times
Brad Jowers- Your post on Algo Diferente- In 1954-55 my family went to an open house at the club. They were selling memberships. All I remember was a large concrete animal, maybe a bear in the front by the driveway. I was 11 so it may have not been so big. Does this ring a bell with you? We did not join.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:01 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,135 times
While we are on the subject, here again are the pics that GWhopper posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-algo-differenchie1.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-algo2.jpg  

Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,491 times
I knew an older guy who told me he saw Hank Williams Jr. at Algo Diferente shortly after Hank Williams senior died. Hank Williams Jr. was just a kid but he went out and played his dad's songs for the audience. I don't know if this is true or not. I also heard that Hank Williams last show was in a dance hall in Macdona, Texas. Macdona is just southwest of San Antonio near 1604 and Pearsall road. Hank went back to his home (Tennessee?) and then left on a tour of the east coast. He died on the way.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:42 PM

18 posts, read 71,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
It was probably the Trail Drive-In. Up till 1984, it had a real good drive-in sign. They redid the sign for a tv commercial, then they razed the drive-in. The Mission Drive-In is soon to join the list of the razed.
So the Mission Drive-In will be no more?!?!?! I thought I had read somewhere that it was planned to renovate it

Needless to say I am very disappointed and sad that it will no longer be

Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 15,427 times
Default Ingram Rd history

Does anyone know some history about the lot on Ingram RD that joins pizza hut and just across the road from Hill Top oaks appartments. I hear this used to be an old farm or maybe a large estate. There are what looks like a foundation but not much more.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
North Star Mall Basement.

I'm sure I've asked it here before, but who else remembers the North Star Mall "Basement" wing? It was located in the wing where Cheesecake Factory is now (which was probably Hoolihan's at the time). If you stood in the Starbuck's cafe now and looked across that hall, that is roughly where the escalators were to the basement wing. At the bottom of the escalator was about a 20 foot square common area. There was a record store, a video arcade, one or two professional offices of some kind, and a music store. The music store sold instruments (guitars, pianos, etc) and gave music lessons. (That store is now located in the strip center at Blanco and Oblate). The basement wing was there from about 1982 to 1985 roughly.

Sometime after that they sealed off the top access and put another shop on the top level, moved the escalators to the adjacent side and Oshman's sporting goods had their own escalators down into their basement store. The Oshman's was there for quite a while. I'm not sure how long exactly.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:51 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
North Star Mall Basement.

I'm sure I've asked it here before, but who else remembers the North Star Mall "Basement" wing? It was located in the wing where Cheesecake Factory is now (which was probably Hoolihan's at the time). If you stood in the Starbuck's cafe now and looked across that hall, that is roughly where the escalators were to the basement wing. At the bottom of the escalator was about a 20 foot square common area. There was a record store, a video arcade, one or two professional offices of some kind, and a music store. The music store sold instruments (guitars, pianos, etc) and gave music lessons. (That store is now located in the strip center at Blanco and Oblate). The basement wing was there from about 1982 to 1985 roughly.

Sometime after that they sealed off the top access and put another shop on the top level, moved the escalators to the adjacent side and Oshman's sporting goods had their own escalators down into their basement store. The Oshman's was there for quite a while. I'm not sure how long exactly.
There was actually 2 basement areas in that section of NSM. The escalators near the present day starbucks...let down to the "teenager hang out" section...If I remember correctly...it was an octogon area (like a small food court) with a video game arcade, record store, I believe there was a slot car track and snack bar.
The other basement area was Rhodes department store. It had 2 entrance/exit in the mall. One was near the American Eagle outfitters..and the other was a staircase near where the Eddie Bauer was...I think it is a forever 21 now. I posted a map and store directory of NSM from the 70s a while back, I know Rhodes was on there...I am not sure if the teenage area was on there. Anyone else with memories of NSM basements?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:56 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
[quote=Primo;2275000]

quote]

I am now thinking the teenage area at the bottom of the escalators came after Rhodes closed down.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:09 AM

19 posts, read 97,219 times
I have used live-search on that lot as well. I worked off of Ingram and Callghan Rd for twelve years and there was a sign posted that it was going to be a church but I have always wondered what was there prior to that. I'd love to know and would be interested if anyone can elaborate with photos or info!!! I have planned on walking the lot several times, just never got around to doing it. I will try to find out some info to satisfy our minds......
Tx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio