Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 04:13 PM

55 posts, read 137,537 times

Advertisements

Hey dwangle...I grew up at 147 Grapeland in the fifties. My best friend at 145 was Billy Locke. His dad was (and is) Rusty Locke who was the spokesman and steel guitar player for the Texas Top Hands. It was their band who backed up Hank Williams Sr. in Macdonna that day. Rusty said they had to hold Hank up by his rear belt area, and had to whisper the words to his own songs in his ear. It was really sad. They told his wife and doctor that the man needed to be in a hospital, not out signing. They guessed the money meant more than anything to them. Rusty quit the band a few years later because he was so tired of being on the road constantly. One of the band memebers was Easy Adams who wrote "Bandera Waltz" which was very popular back then. I was in total awe when I could hear Rusty's voice over the radio around noon back in the early fifties. They would play for about 15 minutes on the radio and that was it. How things do change.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 15,333 times
txdrummer
Keep me posted as I will you. Thanks for responding.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:01 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,769,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I am now thinking the teenage area at the bottom of the escalators came after Rhodes closed down.
Yes. I think the escalators must have been in the same location while it was still Rhodes. They led down to the Rhodes basement store. Rhodes took up that whole wing.

Right now they're not using that basement for anything. Not since Oshman's moved across the freeway. It would be cool to open it again.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 10,000 times
The RED BARON and the EBB TIDE... both on Harry Wurzbach just north of Ft Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
Yep the OutDoorsMan.

I had forgotten about the big fish on the sign.
Thanks for the reminder.
I see it perfectly clearly in my mind right now.

operated for 30 years +....... hmmnhhnm???

I do believe most of those are long gone.
The ones you mention.....

and???

The Texan, already on the record here.

M. K. Davis - near NorthSide on N. Flores.
(maybe more considered as eating establishment)

I think there are a couple on Fred Rd,
south of Woodlawn, don't know the names.

What's the name of the bar in the Menger Hotel.
I think it's been around for a hundred plus years.

Gotta be at least a few more DownTown.

Lotta bars been around as bars 30+,
but, with frequent name changes.

The Blue Room was there on San Pedro for quite awhile.
Not sure, I think it is gone now.
Next door, to the South was 281 Ice House.
It maybe gone now as well.

That's quick, off the top of my head -

Others??..................

mud

Old 04-29-2008, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Been There B4 View Post
When I was a youngster (I'm 53) we'd usually go to the Tee Pee or Big John's for steak, Hung Fong or Tai Shan for Chinese, El Rancho or Casa Rio for Mexican, Naples for Italian, Bavarian Inn for German, Bun & Barrel or Vic's Smokehouse for BBQ, and Bassett's, Jims Frontier, or Pig Stand for casual variety.

These restaurants were often visited after first stopping by one of the NE/Austin Hwy. watering holes such as The Tavern on the Green, Elbow Room, French Quarter, Rustic Lounge, etc... .
The bean pot, a perennial favorite
Sills Snack Shack - Home of the Texas Bean Burger
Little Hips
Shilos deli downtown
Barn Door, then owned by one of the 3 tassos brothers, the other was a coach at AHHS and the other owned the bean pot
Yea Jim Frontier Drive in on broadway, great burgers
tks for the memories

Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 AM

163 posts, read 544,655 times
I used to eat at the Jim's Frontier at Hildebrand and Fredericksburg. There's a pawn shop there now.

Man, those burgers were good!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
There was actually 2 basement areas in that section of NSM. The escalators near the present day starbucks...let down to the "teenager hang out" section...If I remember correctly...it was an octogon area (like a small food court) with a video game arcade, record store, I believe there was a slot car track and snack bar.
The other basement area was Rhodes department store. It had 2 entrance/exit in the mall. One was near the American Eagle outfitters..and the other was a staircase near where the Eddie Bauer was...I think it is a forever 21 now. I posted a map and store directory of NSM from the 70s a while back, I know Rhodes was on there...I am not sure if the teenage area was on there. Anyone else with memories of NSM basements?
The lower area of NSM that you are referring to used to have several stores down there in the 80's. The arcade that you're thinking of was a store called Expensive Toys for Big Boys, which sold computers (Apple II, Atari 800, etc), high end audio/video stuff and even arcade video games.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
does anyone remember when Wonderland opened?
Wonderland Mall (the first phase) opened on September 14, 1961 with Montgomery Wards as the major anchor tenant. I don't remember the actual opening though as it was about six years before I was born.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chent View Post
Really enjoy reading this post. I was born in 1970, so lots of these places I'm not familiar with, but great to hear about. I actually grew up in a small town in south Texas, (Port Lavaca) and they used to have stores called Gibson's, Bottom Dollar, and TG & Y. Did they have those stores here? And I'm a pretty big comic book collector, and I remember the only place to get some back issues were at the flea markets. Does anyone know what or where the first comic book stores were here in SA? Thanks!
Yes, San Antonio had many of those discount stores, including TG&Y, Gibsons, Globe, Woolco/Woolworths, Winn's (based in San Antonio), and several others that I can't recall right now.

Flea markets used to be your best bet for finding comics back in the late 70's and early 80's as that's where the local comic book specialty stores started. Northwest Center on Fredericksburg Rd. is were where Pete, the owner of the now defunct Dungeon, got his start. Northwest Center was also home to the Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Store that featured sci-fi novels, magazines and games alongside comic books. Going back even further to the mid-70's Northwest Center also had a store called Starbase One that was best source for the Star Trek merchandise that was starting to come out at the time.

The Eisenhauer Road Flea Market also had a very good comic book store in it although I didn't get out that way much back in the 80's.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:36 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,529,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Joe View Post
Hey dwangle...I grew up at 147 Grapeland in the fifties. My best friend at 145 was Billy Locke. His dad was (and is) Rusty Locke who was the spokesman and steel guitar player for the Texas Top Hands. It was their band who backed up Hank Williams Sr. in Macdonna that day. Rusty said they had to hold Hank up by his rear belt area, and had to whisper the words to his own songs in his ear. It was really sad. They told his wife and doctor that the man needed to be in a hospital, not out signing. They guessed the money meant more than anything to them. Rusty quit the band a few years later because he was so tired of being on the road constantly. One of the band memebers was Easy Adams who wrote "Bandera Waltz" which was very popular back then. I was in total awe when I could hear Rusty's voice over the radio around noon back in the early fifties. They would play for about 15 minutes on the radio and that was it. How things do change.
Thanks Blanco Joe I was way to young to be at that show ( I'm 55) but I am glad that I got the facts right. Oh I love the names of the guys from that time..Rusty Locke..Easy Adams. It reminds me of guys like Slim Pickens, Dusty Rhodes, String Bean, Chill Wills, Buck Owens..fun names!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio