Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2007, 10:26 PM

116 posts, read 472,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I asked this about 20 pages back....so I'll try again. Anyone remember EDGE FALLS?

Please...tell me I'm not dillusional! Edge Falls did exist, right?

Sounds like this:

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/...s/KK/hnk9.html

Old 03-17-2007, 11:24 PM

106 posts, read 449,349 times
Brock's Books was on Commerce either next door to or a few doors west of Schilo's. There's a parking garage there now. It was the weirdest used bookstore I've ever been in. Books jam-packed in there as if by someone with hoarding disorder. They aisles were so narrow you'd be afraid of turning around and knocking a whole column of books over. By the time I discovered the place in the late 70s the second floor was so structurally unstable you couldn't go up there. The basement had a few bare light bulbs hanging from the ceiling and a bit of light from glass blocks in the sidewalk overhead. They had piles of excess books thrown behind the shelves long the north and south walls. Great place--wish I'd been able to go there with adult amounts of money.

I remember when Joske's downtown had a fancy bookstore--sometimes in the basement, sometimes on the first floor. And I remember the rare stamp and coin departments.

I remember every time I visited SA I had to buy souvenirs at Kerr's--often Mexican jumping beans or Cantinflas marionettes.

I remember as a little kid going to some restaurant with a miniature suit of armor outside the entrance, and when the waiter asked us what we'd like to order I belched loud;y and embarrassed my parents.

I remember El Matador restaurant in the basement of the Aztec Theatre, with Arturo the waiter and the faux log cabin.

I remember Playland at night and how bad my hands would smell after gripping onto the bar on the caroussel.

I have lots of old SA postcards, including a few of "Algo Diferente," a castle built by the widow of Albert Friedrich of Buckhorn Saloon fame. Does anyone know if the house is still standing?

I remember Rosengren's Books in the Crockett Hotel. They had such an amazing selection, and, rare for bookstores at that time--chairs.

I remember the Witte used to have several house museums in its courtyard. One was a doll museum. But the last time I went to the Witte--about 1980--they had the courtyard locked and the houses were inaccessible.

What happened to the car museum on the Hemisfair grounds?

Old 03-18-2007, 07:53 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
That sounds a lot like a bookstore that used to be on N St Mary's. I think it was called Donaldson's. Stacks and stacks of books and very narrow aisles. Almost scary.

Does anyone remember the Woolworth's near the Alamo? I remember reading national columnist Bob Green talking about his visit to the Alamo and being disillusioned that it was located in the middle of a downtown area. He said, "There was even a Woolworth's across the street," just to illustrate his point. That was probably written in the 1980's.

It's ironic that nowadays people are more apt to remember the Woolworth's more fondly, as something from a bygone era.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:01 AM

106 posts, read 449,349 times
I may have gone inside that Woolworth's before.

I read in a book on SA history how much Norman Brock's son had asked for the entire stock of his father's store when it closed and have kicked myself I didn't know about it then. Apparently many of the potential buyers--themselves book dealers--were put off not by the price but by how much it would've cost to ship all those thousands of books.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:38 PM

48 posts, read 251,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I really miss Winn's and other dime stores.
Amen to that, Ozzy!!! Gosh, I really do miss Winn's and Woolworth's. I remember when I was very young there was a Neisner's in McCreless Mall. But Winn's was everywhere and you could ALWAYS find something there!

Old 03-18-2007, 01:09 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,153,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia_Impaled View Post
Would anyone be interested in pics of various places? It's amusing that the 'First Mate' sign is still standing; I'm seriously thinking of rescuing it. My job has me traveling all over the city during the week; let me know of any requests.
I'd love to see some pics of anything, including the old First Mate sign...I'm not in SA as much anymore (only about every 3-4 months) and would love to see any and all pics that folks post on here. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-18-2007, 01:17 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,153,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomer46 View Post
Elvis Presly came to San Antonio for a one performance evening. He was way overweight and couldn't complete any of the songs he sang but he was STILL A LEGEND! I saw that performance and not too long afterwards he died in Memphis.

I actually liked some of his music and watched his old movies that channel 5 would play on occasion when they had the CBS Friday Night Movies on at 10.30pm after the news. I remember hearing that he was in town for a concert and for some reason, we were out and about near the airport that same night and we saw his airplane parked there. We were close enough to see the "Lisa Marie" name there near the cockpit window. I still remember the day he died in 1977 and how it was all over the three TV channels at the time...four if you count SIN channel 41.

That's cool about seeing JFK and Jackie...and interesting that NISD allowed the students to leave school and head to the airport to see them back then. I have no personal recollection of them since I was born after he had been assassinated.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:31 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
That sounds a lot like a bookstore that used to be on N St Mary's. I think it was called Donaldson's. Stacks and stacks of books and very narrow aisles. Almost scary.

Does anyone remember the Woolworth's near the Alamo? I remember reading national columnist Bob Green talking about his visit to the Alamo and being disillusioned that it was located in the middle of a downtown area. He said, "There was even a Woolworth's across the street," just to illustrate his point. That was probably written in the 1980's.

It's ironic that nowadays people are more apt to remember the Woolworth's more fondly, as something from a bygone era.

I loved the bookstore on St Mary's, I bought many comic books there for about a dime. There were tons and tons of books there.

I loved woolworth a lot, bought many baseball cards there. The one in Mccreless was pretty cool. I miss that mall along with Central Park, and Windsor.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:38 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Anyone remember this place " Mickey Mantle's Country Cookin". If so where were the locations.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 25,335 times
Who remembers Dow Sherry the weatherman on channel 4 I believe, who always gave the temperature in Muleshoe Texas, could have been his hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio