Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 10:15 AM

60 posts, read 208,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samustang91 View Post
I think there was a WINNS at Blanco & Basse in the early 90s ('92-'94?)
That Winn's was there way back in the 70's because I remember it as a little kid. It was in the Allena Village shopping center. There was an HEB, Winns, some little music store, a doctor's clinic, maybe a cloth store and some other places I don't remember.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
That Winn's was there way back in the 70's because I remember it as a little kid. It was in the Allena Village shopping center. There was an HEB, Winns, some little music store, a doctor's clinic, maybe a cloth store and some other places I don't remember.
Is Allena Village where the Bowling Alley was or was that on West Ave north of Basse?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:32 AM

60 posts, read 208,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Is Allena Village where the Bowling Alley was or was that on West Ave north of Basse?
Allena Village is directly at the NW corner of Basse and Blanco (on Blanco). The old bowling alley (I can't recall the name right now.. was it Bowlerama?) was further north (a few blocks) on Blanco at Wiezmann.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:52 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times
Dellvillage on Vance Jackson and Latch was almost identicle to Allena village. It had an HEB and a Winns. Also a shoe store- Daura's Shoes, Dell pharmacy with a soda fountain. There was either a paint store or hardware store. Also a guy that gave guitar lessons. And my favorite place--The slot car shop! I remember going to Winn's and buying Mexican Jumping Beans for 25 cents. They really do exist.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times
Does anybody know what year the penny sales tax started. I remember buying something at Winn's for a quarter and was charged 26 cents.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
Allena Village is directly at the NW corner of Basse and Blanco (on Blanco). The old bowling alley (I can't recall the name right now.. was it Bowlerama?) was further north (a few blocks) on Blanco at Wiezmann.
I actually used to come in from near Boerne to bowl with an old friend back in the early 80's. Really can't recall the name.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Dellvillage on Vance Jackson and Latch was almost identicle to Allena village. It had an HEB and a Winns. Also a shoe store- Daura's Shoes, Dell pharmacy with a soda fountain. There was either a paint store or hardware store. Also a guy that gave guitar lessons. And my favorite place--The slot car shop! I remember going to Winn's and buying Mexican Jumping Beans for 25 cents. They really do exist.

Slot cars ! Did you check out my slot car thread? Anybody remember the Lafayette store on West Ave. or Vance Jackson? Good place for C.B. radio supplies in the 70's.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:07 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times
I remember a Centeno on Fred Rd down the street from the NW center, it now houses some HEB offices. There was also a paul anderson store at the end of the strip.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:24 PM

91 posts, read 323,790 times
Default Fred Rd.

Last I saw Nonken Plaza is still there. Unfortunately Hobby Center closed in October 2006. I spent the better part of 25 years of my life supporting Hobby Center and the way it ended just wasn't right (the center's new owners basically leased the hobby shop's space out from under them; the space is now a soccer shop.)

The lot north of Nonken is where Centeno's, Paul Anderson and Mickey Finn's was. H-E-B now has the ENTIRE building - their print shop, human resources, and training center are there. I had to make a BUNCH of trips over there when I worked for them. My guess is H-E-B now owns all that.

To the south of Nonken is Goodwill but at one time Quality Furniture was there. I still remember the commercials from years ago in which the pitchman always started the spot by saying, "Howdy folks!" and ended with the phrase, "And we'll be looking for you!"

My wife and I lived off Loma Linda and Babcock (Ewing Place) after we were married and lived there for 5 years. I enjoyed the area as we lived on a fairly quiet block but the sound of gun shots every so often was a bit unnerving for her.

Macgrad89

Old 08-02-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgrad89 View Post
Last I saw Nonken Plaza is still there. Unfortunately Hobby Center closed in October 2006. I spent the better part of 25 years of my life supporting Hobby Center and the way it ended just wasn't right (the center's new owners basically leased the hobby shop's space out from under them; the space is now a soccer shop.)

The lot north of Nonken is where Centeno's, Paul Anderson and Mickey Finn's was. H-E-B now has the ENTIRE building - their print shop, human resources, and training center are there. I had to make a BUNCH of trips over there when I worked for them. My guess is H-E-B now owns all that.

To the south of Nonken is Goodwill but at one time Quality Furniture was there. I still remember the commercials from years ago in which the pitchman always started the spot by saying, "Howdy folks!" and ended with the phrase, "And we'll be looking for you!"

My wife and I lived off Loma Linda and Babcock (Ewing Place) after we were married and lived there for 5 years. I enjoyed the area as we lived on a fairly quiet block but the sound of gun shots every so often was a bit unnerving for her.

Macgrad89
I think old man Nonkin was a local politician If I recall . Didn't know there was a hobby shop around there except for Dibble's on Donaldson by Jefferson H. Gun shots , well if you think of the area west of St. cloud back towards Bandera probably a passerby. But Ewing and Loma Linda back in there always seemed pretty quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio