Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 08:09 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,399,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
All Carl's Jr's in SA shut down in 1986.
There was also one on Fredricksberg and I-10. They all became Burger Kings. They had a different floor plan than the traditional BK's at the time. They had the order counter at the front of the store and the seating area along the side. Traditional BK's had used a standard rectangle formula with the counter on one side of the dinning room and all the seating stretching back from it. The first real BK building was on Huebner and Babcock. It might be some kind of Tequira de whatever now. I think the second was at (then) Wonderland Mall. I only know this cause in high school it was kind of a game for us to spot the original Carl's Juniors!!!

BTW, I recently took my nieces to the new Carl's Jr's near Kirby. They LOVED it. They told everybody when we got back that they "were so full, but couldn't stop eating!". Me, I thought it was a little better than a Mickey d's or Wendy's.
I know its funny how BK has not been in town just a little more than 20 yrs, Carl's Jr is good. I was in LA a few month back and the burgers are good.

Gwhopper good to have you back, glad to see some of the posters who have helped this page grow.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:19 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,267,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigailnewrob View Post
It is still there blocked off from driving through behind the train station near the zoo . does anyone remember the sky ride ?
I did manage to find this postcard featuring the sky ride over sunken gardens
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-sunken-gardens-wit-sky-ride.jpg  

Old 10-25-2008, 09:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,479,986 times
Yep, I remember the Skyride!! Do you remember the Carousel in the parking area??

Old 10-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Yep, I remember the Skyride!! Do you remember the Carousel in the parking area??

I had completely forgotten about that! Now I am going to have to hunt down some pictures of that!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post

I had completely forgotten about that! Now I am going to have to hunt down some pictures of that!
Wasn't that Playland Park's old Carousel??

Old 10-25-2008, 10:45 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,111,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Wasn't that Playland Park's old Carousel??
I thought Playland's carousel was sold off to different individuals. I may be wrong. I heard the Brack. Park one, or the Central Park one, went to the Eagles Nest Church. Can any one verify?

Old 10-25-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I thought the town and country motel was there?
I did manage to find this on the net.

I did a look up on the address and a Walgreens is there now. You can see it on streetview:

6901 san pedro san antonio tx - Google Maps
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-tand-c.jpg  

Old 10-25-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
I thought Playland's carousel was sold off to different individuals. I may be wrong. I heard the Brack. Park one, or the Central Park one, went to the Eagles Nest Church. Can any one verify?
Yes, I think you're right!!

Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I remember the Ramada in had lot of little cottage/motor in type lodges spread out all the way up to the cloverleaf.

I can't really tell if the Smuggler's Inn...is there..(The Present day PT/Perfect Ten)...it should be there in that time frame.
Could this be the same Ramada Inn? I have seen this picture before and thought that it couldn't be because the address is 333 NW Military. A google maps query revealed that there no address in the 300 series anywhere on NW Military. We grew up near NW Military and I don't remember there ever being a Ramada Inn out there. However, this card is from the 50's and I did little sluething (No wacko nut-job recointering this time) and discovered that Harry Wurzbach road and NW Military highway where once the same road. It was called Harry Wurzbach's Military Highway and it ran exactly the same path as 4-10 today takes by North Star Mall. That section of what is now 4-10 is what connected Harry Wurzbach to NW Military. Fasinating history, apparently they called it a "Military highway" because it linked Ft. Sam to the training grounds that would eventually become known as Camp Bullis. I am sure it's no coincidence that it also ran conveniently close to the Wurzbach estate and farms which became present day Colonies North.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-ramada.jpg  

Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,399,776 times
GW great postcards, but that is indeed the hotel that was where the present day best buy, barnes and nobles, and circuit city is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio