Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 AM

50 posts, read 168,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
You know what miss that is Gone But Not Forgotten in SA? The old Book Stops. Anybody remember those? They got bought out and shut down by Barnes & Nobles. There was one in Sunset Mall in Alamo heights and one in the old Shanendoa(?) Skating rink on NW I-10. I got addicted to reading books at an early age, around 10, and loved book stores as much as toy stores.

Also, it looks like all the mall-based bookstores are all gone now. I remember when every mall had two books stores, Walden Books and B. Dalton Booksellers. My favorite was the B. Dalton's in Ingram, it was cramped, but had two stories. The press of all those paperbacks in such a cramped space gave the place a sort of pleasant but musty odor. Do any malls in SA still have any of these stores? The last one I remember seeing was the Walden's in Ingram, but I haven't been to that mall in years.
The best bookstore in Texas was Rosengren's behind the Alamo in the Crockett Hotel Building.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepwebster View Post
Second mansion built on Broadway, where VW dealership later built.
There was another mansion? Where?

Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 AM

50 posts, read 168,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Arias View Post
The new Earl Abel's is very much the same as the old restaurant, even down to the 40 year old red carpet. Yes, we had the old carpet pulled up, cleaned of course, at Aladdin, and reinstalled at the new location. If you visit Earl Abel's new location, you can see this carpet in our private dining rooms, along with all the other original memorabilia from the Broadway location.

If anyone wishes to contact me about the new restaurant, I will gladly take your calls to discuss everything we've done to make our many customers feel right at home.

Roger Arias
President & Owner
Earl Abel's Restaurant
(210) 822-3358
roger@earlabelssa.com
So glad Earl Abel's has transitioned and survived. Though Terrell Plaza was looking a bit woebegone last time I was in San Antonio. A very safe place to "park" in the 60s. What was the name of the club across the highway, north of the Bun & Barrel? I'm going to take my daughter to Earl Abel's next time we're in town.. Can't point out where Henry B. decked the guy who called him a Commie. Did that piece of carpet make the move?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 34,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Could the grocery store orginally been a Handy Andy?
I don't think so. I remember the Handy Andy down at Evers and Glen Ridge. Where the Big Lots was.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM

13 posts, read 38,504 times
Does anyone remember Landis Lakes. It was a group of Aframe houses and assorted other houses and duplexes rented out by an old man named Landis Wilson. It was located on Ackerman Road in Kirby about a quarter mile from the Golden Stallion. It had a couple of fishing ponds and an Olympic size pool with a 10 meter diving tower. It was a great place to live and I lived there from 1967-1970.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM

9 posts, read 34,168 times
In response to bookstores that are still in San Antonio malls there are Waldenbooks in Ingram, Rolling Oaks, and South Park Mall. As for other stores they have been bought up by the bigger companies.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis1836 View Post
In response to bookstores that are still in San Antonio malls there are Waldenbooks in Ingram, Rolling Oaks, and South Park Mall. As for other stores they have been bought up by the bigger companies.
If I remember correctly, there were 2 books stores in Ingram mall...back in the day. The Waldens which was on the 2nd floor near JC Penny and Toy Box...it had funky wood facade. The other book store was on the first floor on the former food wing (just the chic filet and McDonalds)....it was across from the intelectronics store. I think that was B Dalton?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:50 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Quote:
Then you'd remember the original Frontier Drive-In (which wasn't a drive in) across from the Witte, and at the back of the parking lot, Mrs. Hasslocher rented bicycles to enjoy through Brackenridge Park. Or the second Urrutia mansion on Broadway, later replaced by the VW dealership.
We frequented the Frontier on Austin Hwy more often, but I do remember the one closer to the Witte.

As far as the Urrutia mansion, it was long gone by the time I hit SA. I've done some research on the exact location....but there is a great link to the history of it and Dr. Urrutia if I can find it. Has lots of pictures and stories.

The sad thing about that mansion is that it was torn down by O'Neil Ford of all people! He got the contract to design that VW dealership and he was part of the site selection committee. His competitor, Bartlett Cocke had also bid on that project, and his office was located across Broadway from the Urrutia Mansion. Ford had enough ego and power to snub his competition to build that dealership right smack in Cocke's view! This story is right out of the book about O'Neil Ford....great read on his life and projects.

I'll try to find the link to Urrutia with the pics....it's wonderful!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Quote:
So glad Earl Abel's has transitioned and survived. Though Terrell Plaza was looking a bit woebegone last time I was in San Antonio. A very safe place to "park" in the 60s. What was the name of the club across the highway, north of the Bun & Barrel? I'm going to take my daughter to Earl Abel's next time we're in town.. Can't point out where Henry B. decked the guy who called him a Commie. Did that piece of carpet make the move?
The club is now Tong Thai and they are doing a booming business. Always busy and they have a fleet of little Sushi "vans" for delivery.

Terrell Plaza was brought back to life some years ago, but the "plan" (now possibly on hold), is to tear it down and put a Super Target in it's place. Not sure where they are on that project. Possibly Roger Arias can fill us in!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:19 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
If I remember correctly, there were 2 books stores in Ingram mall...back in the day. The Waldens which was on the 2nd floor near JC Penny and Toy Box...it had funky wood facade. The other book store was on the first floor on the former food wing (just the chic filet and McDonalds)....it was across from the intelectronics store. I think that was B Dalton?
Actually, It was the other way around. The Walden Books was on the first floor of the wing with the Sears at the end. The B Dalton's was the one on the second floor next to the old Toy Box and had the funky 70's wood facade.

I remember when that Chic-Fil-A and McDonald's where there next to the Sears. I think the electronics store across from the book store was originally called United or United Electronics, I remember buying a camera lens there in 1986.

When I was younger, on a typical Saturday my parents would take me to the Toy's R Us and I would blow my allowance on a star wars figure, then we'd go to the mall and eat lunch at the Chick-Fil-A, then my Mom would go shopping while my Dad and I wondered aimlessly through the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio