Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times

Advertisements

Interesting article on B. Dalton's. Even mentions Book Stop.

B. Dalton Bookseller Inc.: Information from Answers.com

Old 11-20-2008, 12:03 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I remember when that Chic-Fil-A and McDonald's where there next to the Sears. I think the electronics store across from the book store was originally called United or United Electronics, I remember buying a camera lens there in 1986.
There was actually 2 electonics stores. United was just like Service Merchandise or Best Products. The other was was pure electronics and TVs...Lots of big screen tvs. Tt was like a bjorns. Maybe it was not called Intelltronics They sold atari games..but they were very expensive. It was directly across from the book store next to Spencers. The United was down next to the Chic Filet

Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
There was actually 2 electonics stores. United was just like Service Merchandise or Best Products. The other was was pure electronics and TVs...Lots of big screen tvs. Tt was like a bjorns. Maybe it was not called Intelltronics They sold atari games..but they were very expensive. It was directly across from the book store next to Spencers. The United was down next to the Chic Filet
I remember that second store with the big TVs now. They were always playing JAWS everytime we walked by. It would be interesting to find out that name.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:
You know what miss that is Gone But Not Forgotten in SA? The old Book Stops. Anybody remember those? They got bought out and shut down by Barnes & Nobles. There was one in Sunset Mall in Alamo heights and one in the old Shanendoa(?) Skating rink on NW I-10. I got addicted to reading books at an early age, around 10, and loved book stores as much as toy stores.

Also, it looks like all the mall-based bookstores are all gone now. I remember when every mall had two books stores, Walden Books and B. Dalton Booksellers. My favorite was the B. Dalton's in Ingram, it was cramped, but had two stories. The press of all those paperbacks in such a cramped space gave the place a sort of pleasant but musty odor. Do any malls in SA still have any of these stores? The last one I remember seeing was the Walden's in Ingram, but I haven't been to that mall in years.
Yes the old bookshops like Bookstop are missed, the one at Sunset mall had the futuristic sign of bookstop and Ez's. That was one of my favorite places for books, anyone remember the old Brock's bookstore downtown? Visited the place before it closed and WOW it had books up to the celing.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:44 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Default Book Stop

If I remember correctly. The I-10 Bookstop was in 2 locations. It was originally in the old Shenandoah Skating Ring (Present day John Williams Interiors - next to Pappasitos). Then it moved to the Colannade..it was on the corner where the rustic furniture shop (I think it is called Cienna?).

I remember back in the day, when it was in the Shenandoah skating ring location...right next it, in the same building...there was used book store that sold lots of posters...it also was a bicycle/bmx chop shop...there were high end bike parts all over the place. I never understood that operation.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:56 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Quote:
You know what miss that is Gone But Not Forgotten in SA? The old Book Stops. Anybody remember those? They got bought out and shut down by Barnes & Nobles. There was one in Sunset Mall in Alamo heights and one in the old Shanendoa(?) Skating rink on NW I-10. I got addicted to reading books at an early age, around 10, and loved book stores as much as toy stores.
After high school and during my college years at TU, I worked at the old Bookstop off I-10 at both locations...and all the drama involved in making the move up the street....just boxes and boxes of books that had to be packed and moved....yikes...it was surreal working where Shenandoah Skating Rink was b/c I remember skating there as a kid some years before...

Old 11-21-2008, 12:51 PM

9 posts, read 34,163 times
[quote=Primo;6252614]If I remember correctly. The I-10 Bookstop was in 2 locations. It was originally in the old Shenandoah Skating Ring (Present day John Williams Interiors - next to Pappasitos). Then it moved to the Colannade..it was on the corner where the rustic furniture shop (I think it is called Cienna?).

And now thats gone.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,675 times
What a place. I wish i would have taken some pictures last time we were there in the 70's.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 08:25 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
After high school and during my college years at TU, I worked at the old Bookstop off I-10 at both locations...and all the drama involved in making the move up the street....just boxes and boxes of books that had to be packed and moved....yikes...it was surreal working where Shenandoah Skating Rink was b/c I remember skating there as a kid some years before...

940 good to see you back and wow this thread keeps growing. I was wondering when the Bookstop left the building thats JW interiors now.

We forgot to mention the bookstop at 281 and bitters, its now a ski place.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,191 times
I grew up near Fredericksburg and Babcock near Northwest Center. It had a Penneys and Piggly Wiggly for years, and a playground where kids could play while their moms shopped, no way any store would have that now days. The Handy Andy in Wonderland had a drive-thru place where you picked up your groceries after shopping. You went through the checkout and paid for your groceries and they gave you a card with a number on it. Then you went to your car and drove around to the side and they loaded your groceries in your car for you. The Tip Top still has the same deer heads on the wall it had in the 60s. There was a great mexican food place not far from Northwest Center called La Paloma. It was near the drive-in theatre. Remember calling Mr. Ms or any convenience store an "ice house"? I learned in college only San Antonians called them that. Anyone have photos of the huge Christmas tree in North Star Mall in the 60s? It was from the nursery out in the parking lot - North Star Garden Center. A relative of mine had the nursery and we went to see the tree every year. I remember "the Castle" - an old burned out resort somewhere out the NW toward 1604 like out Blanco. It had hot springs until the 1930s and supposedly FDR came there. But the hot springs ran out and the place closed and burned. It was a place to go get scared at night for teenagers in the 70s. Like looking for Donkey Lady. The miniature golf place on Fredericksburg is still open, now its considered a landmark. The original Jims is gone but at least the chain still exists, that is comfort food for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio