Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 05:01 PM

6 posts, read 29,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodywood View Post
Who remembers Dow Sherry the weatherman on channel 4 I believe, who always gave the temperature in Muleshoe Texas, could have been his hometown.
I remember Dow Sherry - I think I last remember him doing the news on channel 12 (KSAT at the time), and I remember Jim Dawson as well. The one thing I remember about all the weather guys back then, was that they used to use a dry ink marker to write on their weather boards, long before they had satellite images, and I always thought that you really had to know what you were talking about when you did that.....My favorite was old Jud, though.....

Old 04-24-2007, 05:11 PM

6 posts, read 29,520 times
Default Ice Cream Trucks

What was the name of the ice cream company that had the vehicles with an open cab in the front and the cooler in the back? I have never seen any vehicles since then - they usually look like the ice cream truck/van like the one driven by Borat in the movie. Was it Tiner's Ice Cream? My neighborhood was so tough, that they used to race through the streets at 45 MPH - I was never able to get a fudgicle.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
Thanks willsatx...I wish I would've known of the place off 410...thanks!
It was open from around early 2000 till about 6 months ago, the food was awesome and I miss the food. But I asked him about the location on Military and he told me he ran it with his dad.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:40 PM

11 posts, read 60,173 times
Default 1511 Bandera Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus40 View Post
There is an Art Deco building with the original deco sign located at 1511 Bandera road. It is nestled behind a Drivetrime auto dealership near Quill and Bandera. It has a palm tree in front of it and is no longer in use. If you or anyone knows the history to this lost treasure please share.
Wow, maxus40! The Handy Andy building that prompted this question was a few blocks from my childhood home. The building that you are asking about was a few blocks from the childhood home of the love of my life, back when much of the route between the two could be traversed to a single play of the new release, Stairway to Heaven, on the car radio.

As I recall (keeping in mind that I was very distracted), the building, set back with only grass and parking lot separating it from Bandera Road (across from Kinney Shoes if anyone wants to chime in), housed a furniture store. My love was always looking in the visor mirror to see how pretty she was (and still is), and I was looking at her, so neither of us can remember the name. I'll have to ask my in-laws to determine if anybody was paying attention and update this entry.

Last edited by askinnybuddy; 04-27-2007 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-27-2007, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 69,740 times
Default KKYX Radio Towers

Myself and my family lived almost beneath those radio towers for years. They were surrounded by dairy farm land owned mostly by the Steubin's, our neighbors. I believe prior to being KKYX the towers were owned by KENS.
There were 4 towers and a small building located right in the center of the area where the towers were. Right across the street from KKYX was a Diamond Shamrock. It was there for years. I used to work there on the weekends when I was 12. I earned 50 cents an hour. One week there was a gas war and gasoline dropped to 15 cents a gallon. Farmers from everywhere came in their pickups with 50 gallon drums in order to fill them while gas was so inexpensive. Average price of gasoline at that time was 23 cents a gallon.
Oh! For those days! The Texas Star Inn was right up the road..on the way to San Antonio. There's now a hardware store where our home was. We owned a little over 2 acres there. We purchased fresh dairy milk in a gallon jug from the dairy owner's for 50 cents and fresh butter for 75 cents a lb. Mmmmm!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john559 View Post
I remember Dow Sherry - I think I last remember him doing the news on channel 12 (KSAT at the time), and I remember Jim Dawson as well. The one thing I remember about all the weather guys back then, was that they used to use a dry ink marker to write on their weather boards, long before they had satellite images, and I always thought that you really had to know what you were talking about when you did that.....My favorite was old Jud, though.....
Jim Dawson also wrote cartoons during his weathercast during his last few years at KSAT.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 AM

48 posts, read 251,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
There's an interesting documentary series on old San Antonio that was produced by local PBS affiliate KLRN. I bought them a while back on DVD and they were really entertaining, shed a lot of light on how SA was back in the day. And no, I'm not trying to hawk a product, and didn't produce them or anything, just think they're a great intro to SA for newcomers, and pretty nostalgic for old-schoolers (my grandmother loved them), plus they support public broadcasting if you buy 'em, which doesn't hurt. You can find them at the KLRN site (klrn.org).

The 3 titles are:

San Antonio Remembered: HemisFair
Relive HemisFair, the 1968 World's Fair, and a grand fiesta in celebration of San Antonio's 250th birthday during one of the most tumultuous years in American History.

San Antonio Remembered: Downtown
Remember when downtown was the place to go? Relive those memories in this nostalgic visit to the old San Antonio that exists now only in our memories.

San Antonio Remembered: The Good Times
A trip down memory lane to places that don't exist anymore, and interviews with the people who were there.

Thanks so much for sharing the info about the SA documentaries. I LOVE SA history and would love to add these to my collection!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I loved the old Earl Abel's building.
By any chance does anyone have photos of the old Earl Abel's they are willing to share here?

I am an avid scrapbooker and part of what I've incorporated into my scrapbooks are so many of the memories discussed here. I like to incorporate photos and stories of places we went and especially those we grew up with that are no longer part of the San Antonio landscape.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Fellow Southsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
LOL I also grew up on the SE side near HHS! I recall one of those decorated houses had a pair of angels pulling on a rope to ring a set of bells. I think the house must have been a two story or else had a fireplace in the front. The bells were attached to the top of the house/chimney and when the angels pulled the ropes, the bells moved back and forth. Very cool!

I'd forgotten about the Indian scalping the soldier. That exhibit was very vivid. I wonder if it is still at the Buckhorn. Haven't gone there since they moved it down town. We went to the brewery as a field trip to the Buckhorn when I was in elementary school. There was this huge bear in the entrance; I think it was either a polar bear or a grizzley. For a small kid, that animal was frightening! I think they had the two-headed calf, too.

Did you ever go to the Luby's in McCreless for lunch following church on Sunday? My aunt used to take us about once a month or so. Remember those long lines to get in? Or the smell of the restaurant once you crossed the threshold? My mom used to gripe about the .20 for tea! And I loved their fried chicken!

Anyone have any pictures of the inside of McCreless Mall in the 60's?
Catriona, like you and Daddy-O, I also grew up on the southside and have many wonderful memories. We used to live in McCreless Mall. (ha!) I remember the long, long, long lines to get into Luby's as well as the smell. I'd love to see pics of the mall. My older brother and sister may have some - I'll check with them.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
Great thread! I'm new to the forum but I'll throw in what I recall about San Antonio. I grew up on the southside and there was a drive-in on Military Drive between Roosevelt and Flores. It used to be where the old Wal-Mart is located at...Does anybody remember the name of it? It used to have a huge painting of a cowboy on a horse on back of the main screen (I think). Also, there used to be a fantastic pizza place on Military and Commercial next to Flipside I believe...What was the name of that place?
Arizona - the Mission Drive In is on Roosevelt and was recently on the news for being vandalized. There is discussion on whether or not it will reopen. I was glad that it was operational for a while. Allowed my sister and sister in law and families to take their children for a drive in experience. The one you're thinking of was the TRAIL drive in. I remember being very young and passing it and being awed by that cowboy on the horse. I also remember one time coming home from a shoppping trip at Sears on SE Military (we lived just past Brooks) and a movie was playing. I just remember there being images of partially clothed people and my Mom covering my eyes with her hand! (LOL!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio