Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 09:24 PM

45 posts, read 149,578 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember Fantasy Land in Joskies (I think) downtown during the holiday season? I fondly remember going there to see Santa. There were huge (or so it appeared at the time) slide things with elves at the top you talked to and before you left they sent down a trinket. What about seeing Santa arrive at McCreless Mall in a helicopter then enter the mall on a fire truck? I was born and raised in San Antonio. Moved to near Corpus Christi in 1976. I return "home" as often as I can. The house I grew up in with my grandparents is no longer there - now it's apartments. Also, downtown there was a park that had a huge fountain with spot lights that changed color. I would often require my parents/grandparents to take me to see the "Pretty Water". What was the name of the park?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryest View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the old burger shop on pleasanton and hutchin? its not longer there and cant remember the name of that burger joint.
The name was Skee's. They had huge wonderful burgers and the best pineapple shakes!!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 12:14 AM

The more I read, the more I remember!!!! Does anyone remember The Spotted Horse Drive Inn on SW Military Drive and I-35 with car hops? Taco Hut off Pleasanton Road near SW Military Drive (the best "little tacos I ever had. Craved them when I was pregnant in 1984, my father made a special trip to SA from near Corpus to get them for me)? The frozen shark in a refrigerated truck in the parking lot of the Sears on SW Military Dr.? Jack and Janet Kindergarten near Harlendale High School with a teacher named Mrs. "B"? The resturant inside JC Penney at South Park Mall? The Pan American resturant when it was small before it was renovated with the little paper cups of guacamole? More later, must sleep - thanks for the wonderful memories which will make for sweet dreams!!!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 02:08 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena1961 View Post
The name was Skee's. They had huge wonderful burgers and the best pineapple shakes!!!!
It's Abe's now!!
Quote:
The more I read, the more I remember!!!! Does anyone remember The Spotted Horse Drive Inn on SW Military Drive and I-35 with car hops? Taco Hut off Pleasanton Road near SW Military Drive (the best "little tacos I ever had. Craved them when I was pregnant in 1984, my father made a special trip to SA from near Corpus to get them for me)? The frozen shark in a refrigerated truck in the parking lot of the Sears on SW Military Dr.? Jack and Janet Kindergarten near Harlendale High School with a teacher named Mrs. "B"? The resturant inside JC Penney at South Park Mall? The Pan American resturant when it was small before it was renovated with the little paper cups of guacamole? More later, must sleep - thanks for the wonderful memories which will make for sweet dreams!!!!!
Yep ,Spotted Horse was where the McDonalds is now across Military Drive from South Park Mall!! Taco Hut is still there but now a Rolando's Super Taco!!! Shark in a refrigerated truck at Sears ..no! Kindergarten near Harlandale High..I think so!! Rest. inside J.C. Penny's ..Yes! Pan American Restaurant before and after remodel.. very well !! Remember the Texan?? AMA Wrecker Service?? Pure Ice?? There is a photo of an add from Spotted horse in this thread!! Check you later. Of course we all remember Fantasyland at Joske's!

Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 PM

I'm curious - anyone else here remember a doctor on the southside, Dr. Harry Wilson? He was in solo practice and then was joined by his son. The Sommer's or Rexall Drug Store on SW Military across from the HEB, behind the Thom McCan shoe store. Our neighbor worked at the lunch counter (Mrs. Teter). Buddy's Supermarket on Commercial? Pure Ice???? I do remember the ice house on Plesanton Road (I think) where they would bring out a hugh block of ice with ice tongs (or whatever you call them) and put it in the red metal Coke ice chest (still remember the smell) in the back of my grandfather's International truck.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:24 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
Quote:
I'm curious - anyone else here remember a doctor on the southside, Dr. Harry Wilson? He was in solo practice and then was joined by his son. The Sommer's or Rexall Drug Store on SW Military across from the HEB, behind the Thom McCan shoe store. Our neighbor worked at the lunch counter (Mrs. Teter). Buddy's Supermarket on Commercial? Pure Ice???? I do remember the ice house on Plesanton Road (I think) where they would bring out a hugh block of ice with ice tongs (or whatever you call them) and put it in the red metal Coke ice chest (still remember the smell) in the back of my grandfather's International truck.
Dr. Wilson was my Dr. at one time! Had his office in a two story house on South Flores about 2 blocks North of Military Drive! House is still there but now an appliance shop! Remember the Jaeckle's Dentists , couple of them up and down S.Flores? Sommers on Military next door to L&M Western Wear! Across the street from HEB and Brunners and a stamp Redemption Center! Thom McCann's Military & Pleasanton RD., got all my shoes there and Sears!! Pure Ice Station it was called!! Started as an ice factory became a meat locker and ice house convenience type thing. Knew everyone there well. Southside Reporter had a nice write up on the place . It was on Pleasanton Road and Hart. It was between the Pan American Restaurant and The Texan on opposite side of the street!! Pan American is now Gonzaba Medical Center and the Texan is still in business!! I don't remember your grandfather's International Pickup unless it was black and used to be parked behind the White's Auto on S Flores!!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:42 PM

139 posts, read 504,371 times
Dr. Herbert Was my Doctor on the south side. Also went downtown to a Doctor Nixon. I remember the Frozen Shark in the Trailer in front of Sears. It cost like 50 cents to view it. I also remember an exhibit Of a Giant Water Tank with Scuba divers in it. It might have been in front of a fast food place. Also Ben's Ice house on Pleasenton and Petaluma had Curb service also Neal's on South Presa.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:22 PM

Dr. Wilson delivered me at Santa Rosa Hospital and was my doctor up till his suicide then I would see his son as needed. Oh I'm sure Paw's truck was seen at White's (or Western Auto) on the corner of Southcross and Commercial often but it was dark blue. Remember Mr. Barry's store on Commercial? The Barry's lived on Hutchins in the rock house across from Terrell Wells Junoir High School. I also remember Paw would meet up with some of his WWI buddies at Blackie's Tavern on Commercial right past Hutchins. They would play dominos and have a beer.

Last edited by Nena1961; 12-28-2008 at 03:54 PM..

Old 12-28-2008, 03:28 PM

That's it!!!!!! Thanks hhwolfman - it was Ben's Ice House. And thanks for remembering the frozen shark. I drove my grandmother crazy - had to see it every time it was there. Same shark, different day, week, month, year after year probably until it got freezer burn!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:18 PM

22 posts, read 57,598 times
great .I miss that place.. why did they have to tear it down for blockbuster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio