Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 24,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Waitz was over near Sunset Ridge where the EZ's is now, I believe.
I remember there used to be a book store called Book Stop. It was a shame that Barnes and Chernobyl bought them out and closed them down.

And across the street was Jam and Jelly - the place you could buy your concert tickets (before Ticket Masters).

Old 05-07-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodywood View Post
I'm not sure what local channel that started it's newscast with: I'ts 10 o'clock do you know where your children are? Should still use it now!
Channel 4 WOAI

Old 05-07-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john559 View Post
What was the name of the ice cream company that had the vehicles with an open cab in the front and the cooler in the back? I have never seen any vehicles since then - they usually look like the ice cream truck/van like the one driven by Borat in the movie. Was it Tiner's Ice Cream? My neighborhood was so tough, that they used to race through the streets at 45 MPH - I was never able to get a fudgicle.
Yep, that was Tiner's Ice Cream but the drivers in our neighborhood looked liked spaced out hippies .

The was another ice cream guy named Dave who drove a Red Wing Ice Cream truck. We liked his fudgicles better because they featured "Elsie Sticks".

Old 05-07-2007, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 38,188 times
Hi there, sorry about the length of this post but once I got to reminiscing I just couldn't stop.

My memories are going to be very recent due to my age, but I find it interesting that I still can manage to remember things that have been no more for several years, at least. I remember that single-theater movie theater that was located on Fredericksburg, between Fulton and Hildebrand. There's an El Paraiso close to where said theater used to be located, which was once a Popeye's Chicken. I remember this because I saw a couple of movies at that theater (one was Mask, starring Cher and Eric Stoltz) with my mom, aunt, and cousin, and we would walk over to the Popeye's for after-movie eats.

Around that same area, right where there was (as I remember it) a traffic island, there was a Jim's Frontier location that was my absolute favorite place to eat hamburgers in the whole of San Antonio. I adored their hamburgers and loved their onion rings, and I remember that was the one place I could indulge in the rare treat of a Delaware Punch. I can approximate the food by ordering a hamburger and onion rings at any Jim's, but it's just not the same.

(Funny, so many of these memories happened during the summer -- for four years in my childhood I visited S.A. during the summer while my parents were working out-of-state.)

I still miss the Central Park Fox. That used to be my favorite movie theater in the whole of the city. When I was about five or so, I got to see E.T. when it was re-released to the theaters (due to its massive popularity) and constantly badgered my mom to watch the movie again and again until I saw it eight times in a row. Then I badgered my parents to buy the VHS of it, and for the E.T. shoes "from Buster Brown", and I harbored a baby crush on Henry Thomas. I got the VHS in 1988 (at a Tower in San Francisco), never got those E.T. shoes, and felt old when I spotted a photo of Thomas on IMDb several years ago.

Central Park Mall remains my favorite mall of any I've ever been, and I've been in some impressive malls up and down the West Coast. CPM had this old-timey feel to it and the architecture was so impressive, so beautiful, so classically European. It broke my heart in a billion little pieces when I found out it was going to be torn down. I think I even sobbed when I found out. After a long period of living in a neighborhood where the closest mall was Ingram Park Mall, I now live close enough to be able to easily drive out to where CPM used to be (and where a Sears still resides), and I could embrace North Star Mall, but I never will, because of the feeling always in my head that that was where the rich people went to shop, and Lord knows I will never be a "rich person", not even if I'm a millionaire. I will always be the daughter of a construction worker and a data entry clerk, and I will always believe that malls such as CPM are for "people like me", while North Star and similar malls are for those other people.

I remember the "neighborhood" Handy Andy, located at the intersection of Hildebrand and San Pedro. Later on, when H-E-B built a new supermarket on W. Olmos (this would be ca. 1991), it was the talk of the neighborhood, and as Handy Andy aged terribly, H-E-B attracted virtually all of the neighborhood business. The last time I was in Handy Andy was shortly before it was demolished, back in 1994, and I was shocked by the decayed and decaying appearance of, well, everything. It implanted lots of "how did I manage to survive childhood?" questions into my head, though I'm thinking that Handy Andy deteriorated rapidly during those years my family and I were away.

I too remember Winn's as being THE place to get your school supplies. I was so excited to go around picking up school supplies and, at the very end, I always got a treat for behaving well. The treat? A cherry Icee. Yum.

So many things that are gone, that I remember, and I'm not that old. Oh, and whatever happened to the Racquetball and Fitness Clubs? There used to be one on 410 and Summit Parkway, close to the neighborhood I just moved away from. Also in that area there used to be a Half Price Books where there is now a Nine Lives Books (with cute little kitties throughout), so maybe not all changes are negative. I remember G.W. Jr. very, very vaguely, and I think I only went to a location (close to Culebra and Callaghan) maybe a handful of times. And a Toys R Us I remember being close to 410 and Ingram has been closed for a few years, which is a major bummer but not all that surprising considering the heavy road construction going on nearby. OH, which reminds me -- there used to be a KFC off 410 and Evers that used to be the closest KFC to where we lived and basically what my parents and I lived on throughout the three years my dad was battling terminal cancer and kidney failure, and having to go to dialysis three times a week. Especially the last six months, and I remember very clearly going to that KFC to pick up dinner for Mom and me the night before we had to make the difficult choice to send Dad to hospice, where he would last but a week. So many intense memories were made that were connectable to that KFC, and seeing it shuttered symbolized a lot of closure in my life. (It is now a McDonald's, which is way odd for me to see.)

One more reminiscence: The Apple Records on San Pedro, across from where used to be a Sound Warehouse (oh, and some bridal shop is there too *wink*), is where I got my first Duran Duran (and post-1978) album, Rio, back in 1991. I remember it so well because that was the first music purchase I ever made of my own volition and the first step I made in developing a taste in music separate from my parents'. Now it's a CD Exchange.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:21 PM

14 posts, read 68,288 times
Default Just came across this thread

Just came across this thread and registered to get in on some of the "fun"

I remember many of the things discussed here on the thread...G.W. Jr's, Jud Ashmore, Bruce Hathaway, Midget Mansion, Northwest 6, etc.

Bruce Hathaway is alive and well. I was at an event this past week-end and Bruce Hathaway was the master of ceremonies.

Some other newscasters I remember... Gene Tuck(KSAT anchor), Don Colson(KMOL - now WOAI - anchor), and the beautiful Lori Tucker (anchor in the mid-80's).

I have really enjoyed this thread - lived here in the early 70's and then since 1980. Graduated from Marshall in the mid 80's.

Thanks for the memory's.

P.S. Spent lots of time at Kiddie Park on the same ride mentioned earlier - the self propelled cart on the "train" track.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:59 PM

262 posts, read 910,865 times
Default My First Slice Of Cheesecake In The First Luby's Cafeteria Downtown SA

It was back in 1967, and this 13 year old knight of the altar was scheduled to serve the 6pm Sunday Mass at St. Mary's Catholic Church downtown. My Dad dropped me off and I was to take the Nolan bus home after Mass.

Mass was celebrated by a young energetic priest, Father Isidore Garcia, OMI, a newly assigned priest to the parish. Fr. Garcia must have been in his late twenties. Fr. Garcia was also in charge of altarboys at my school, St. Mary's.

After a well attended Mass, I piously tended to my altarboy duties, washing the cruets, securing the chalice and seyborium and shutting down the Church.

Fr. Garcia questioned how I was to get home, I told him the bus. He asked if I would like to have dinner. I said "sure Father!"

We walked up College street, in back of the Majestic theatre. At the corner of Presa & College we walked into a building, then down two flights of stairs. I had never been to a restaurant in a basement. The sign said Luby's Cafeteria.

Man, was I amazed, I had never seen so much food laid out, a paradise of salads and desserts. All the waitresses were nicely dressed in white. Fr. Garcia showed me how to get my tray and utensils and slide down the aisle. I had fried fish, plenty of tartar sauce, mashed potatoes & corn, with a steaming hot roll. We sat and enjoyed dinner. Good thing I brought my good clothes. The glasses of tea with flaked ice were endless. I had never been served like this.

After dinner Fr. Garcia asked if I wanted dessert. I said it was okay. He got up and came back with 2 slices of cheesecake with strawberries. I had never tasted cheesecake. It was absolutely delicious. I had met a new weakness. Man this was the life! I wanted to be a priest and eat at Luby's!

Being a poor boy from the east side this kid had never been to a cafeteria. My first Luby's!

The waitresses at Luby's were constantly at our service, I felt like a little king.

To this day, I religiously order the fried fish with tartar, corn and mashed potatoes and don't forget the cheesecake!

Thank you Fr Garcia and thank you Luby's for making growing up in San Antonio so much fun.

As you may know, Luby's is celebrating their 60th anniversary this year based on the opening of that downtown location in 1947.

Happy Anniversary Luby's.

Rick Melendrez

Last edited by Nix54; 05-08-2007 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,154,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by super-FISH-ial View Post

Some other newscasters I remember... Gene Tuck(KSAT anchor), Don Colson(KMOL - now WOAI - anchor), and the beautiful Lori Tucker (anchor in the mid-80's).
I remember Gene Tuck used to also be the anchor on KENS channel 5 before Chris Marrou came on the scene in the 70s. He eventually came back to the market later and was an anchor for a while on KSAT 12.

Lori Tucker is now the anchor for WATE channel 6 in Knoxville, TN after leaving SA for Houston where she didn't last for very long.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyson View Post
I remember there used to be a book store called Book Stop. It was a shame that Barnes and Chernobyl bought them out and closed them down.

And across the street was Jam and Jelly - the place you could buy your concert tickets (before Ticket Masters).
I like the EZ's next to where bookstop used to be, it has a very nostalgic look to it.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushsister View Post
Hi there, sorry about the length of this post but once I got to reminiscing I just couldn't stop.

My memories are going to be very recent due to my age, but I find it interesting that I still can manage to remember things that have been no more for several years, at least. I remember that single-theater movie theater that was located on Fredericksburg, between Fulton and Hildebrand. There's an El Paraiso close to where said theater used to be located, which was once a Popeye's Chicken. I remember this because I saw a couple of movies at that theater (one was Mask, starring Cher and Eric Stoltz) with my mom, aunt, and cousin, and we would walk over to the Popeye's for after-movie eats.

Around that same area, right where there was (as I remember it) a traffic island, there was a Jim's Frontier location that was my absolute favorite place to eat hamburgers in the whole of San Antonio. I adored their hamburgers and loved their onion rings, and I remember that was the one place I could indulge in the rare treat of a Delaware Punch. I can approximate the food by ordering a hamburger and onion rings at any Jim's, but it's just not the same.

(Funny, so many of these memories happened during the summer -- for four years in my childhood I visited S.A. during the summer while my parents were working out-of-state.)

I still miss the Central Park Fox. That used to be my favorite movie theater in the whole of the city. When I was about five or so, I got to see E.T. when it was re-released to the theaters (due to its massive popularity) and constantly badgered my mom to watch the movie again and again until I saw it eight times in a row. Then I badgered my parents to buy the VHS of it, and for the E.T. shoes "from Buster Brown", and I harbored a baby crush on Henry Thomas. I got the VHS in 1988 (at a Tower in San Francisco), never got those E.T. shoes, and felt old when I spotted a photo of Thomas on IMDb several years ago.

Central Park Mall remains my favorite mall of any I've ever been, and I've been in some impressive malls up and down the West Coast. CPM had this old-timey feel to it and the architecture was so impressive, so beautiful, so classically European. It broke my heart in a billion little pieces when I found out it was going to be torn down. I think I even sobbed when I found out. After a long period of living in a neighborhood where the closest mall was Ingram Park Mall, I now live close enough to be able to easily drive out to where CPM used to be (and where a Sears still resides), and I could embrace North Star Mall, but I never will, because of the feeling always in my head that that was where the rich people went to shop, and Lord knows I will never be a "rich person", not even if I'm a millionaire. I will always be the daughter of a construction worker and a data entry clerk, and I will always believe that malls such as CPM are for "people like me", while North Star and similar malls are for those other people.

I remember the "neighborhood" Handy Andy, located at the intersection of Hildebrand and San Pedro. Later on, when H-E-B built a new supermarket on W. Olmos (this would be ca. 1991), it was the talk of the neighborhood, and as Handy Andy aged terribly, H-E-B attracted virtually all of the neighborhood business. The last time I was in Handy Andy was shortly before it was demolished, back in 1994, and I was shocked by the decayed and decaying appearance of, well, everything. It implanted lots of "how did I manage to survive childhood?" questions into my head, though I'm thinking that Handy Andy deteriorated rapidly during those years my family and I were away.

I too remember Winn's as being THE place to get your school supplies. I was so excited to go around picking up school supplies and, at the very end, I always got a treat for behaving well. The treat? A cherry Icee. Yum.

So many things that are gone, that I remember, and I'm not that old. Oh, and whatever happened to the Racquetball and Fitness Clubs? There used to be one on 410 and Summit Parkway, close to the neighborhood I just moved away from. Also in that area there used to be a Half Price Books where there is now a Nine Lives Books (with cute little kitties throughout), so maybe not all changes are negative. I remember G.W. Jr. very, very vaguely, and I think I only went to a location (close to Culebra and Callaghan) maybe a handful of times. And a Toys R Us I remember being close to 410 and Ingram has been closed for a few years, which is a major bummer but not all that surprising considering the heavy road construction going on nearby. OH, which reminds me -- there used to be a KFC off 410 and Evers that used to be the closest KFC to where we lived and basically what my parents and I lived on throughout the three years my dad was battling terminal cancer and kidney failure, and having to go to dialysis three times a week. Especially the last six months, and I remember very clearly going to that KFC to pick up dinner for Mom and me the night before we had to make the difficult choice to send Dad to hospice, where he would last but a week. So many intense memories were made that were connectable to that KFC, and seeing it shuttered symbolized a lot of closure in my life. (It is now a McDonald's, which is way odd for me to see.)

One more reminiscence: The Apple Records on San Pedro, across from where used to be a Sound Warehouse (oh, and some bridal shop is there too *wink*), is where I got my first Duran Duran (and post-1978) album, Rio, back in 1991. I remember it so well because that was the first music purchase I ever made of my own volition and the first step I made in developing a taste in music separate from my parents'. Now it's a CD Exchange.
Welcome to the thread, you brought up some great memories and spots from my childhood.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 AM

Anyone remember the old handy andy at the corner of fredricksburg and woodlawn, the place is now a homeless shelter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio