Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,299,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg1208 View Post
The A.J.Ploch owned truck stop your referring to was at 35 & O'Connor,
and he also owned the one at IH10 & Fred Rd. They sold Texaco products.
Those Ploch's were a prolific bunch! I have seen that name on so many maps and plats and documents that I wish I owned stock in it!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 17,896 times
Default Old Aerial Photo of Fredericksburg Rd.

Somewhere on this forum, I think I ran across an aerial view of Fredericksburg Rd. (1920's - 1930's ish) and someone had labeled some of the places in red. I have searched everywhere and now I can't find it. Can someone point me to it?

Thanks!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 AM

237 posts, read 847,268 times
Default Bohunks, kolaches, Shiner Beer and Adolph Hofner

[quote=Dwangle;7258789][quote=BudB;7250177]
"She said she was Bohemian and my grandfather was Czech."
Dwangle, I hope you won't be offended but the word I always heard in reference to mixed eastern European stock was "Bohunk" and the region east of San Antonio & Austin toward Brenham/Houston and the Coastal Bend is full of them, thank goodness. If it weren't for such people there might never have been any kolaches, Shiner Beer, Adolph Hofner and the Pearl Wranglers, wurstfests, old time dance halls like Lubianskis at St. Hedwigs or Schroeder Hall near Goliad and dozens of others all over that area, painted churches at Praha and Panamaria, plus a long list of other fabulous things from that mixed up legacy.
I wish I could get that recipe for kolaches even if it is trouble because fresh baked ones are truly great especially the ones with that special cheese filling, my favorite. Thank you for mentioning your heritage. Bud

Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,527,877 times
[quote=BudB;7285374][quote=Dwangle;7258789]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
"She said she was Bohemian and my grandfather was Czech."
Dwangle, I hope you won't be offended but the word I always heard in reference to mixed eastern European stock was "Bohunk" and the region east of San Antonio & Austin toward Brenham/Houston and the Coastal Bend is full of them, thank goodness. If it weren't for such people there might never have been any kolaches, Shiner Beer, Adolph Hofner and the Pearl Wranglers, wurstfests, old time dance halls like Lubianskis at St. Hedwigs or Schroeder Hall near Goliad and dozens of others all over that area, painted churches at Praha and Panamaria, plus a long list of other fabulous things from that mixed up legacy.
I wish I could get that recipe for kolaches even if it is trouble because fresh baked ones are truly great especially the ones with that special cheese filling, my favorite. Thank you for mentioning your heritage. Bud
Those things never offend me. Great Grandma lived in the same town as Sigmund Freud but I can't remember the name. She came over on a sailing ship and settled in the Poth, Kochuskio (sp?) area. When I was a kid my grandfather took me fishing down there on what I think is the San Antonio river. We would set lines and check them all night and end up with 20 to 30 Catfish! My dad's grandfather was named Otto Kraus and he had a shoe store in San Antonio about a hundred years ago. His house still stands on Virginia st. It's the first big two story house on left from New Braunfels

Old 02-02-2009, 03:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times
Adolph Hofner, I grew up two streets away from his house. Right down an old alley from us. He lived on Sayers St. many many years. He had a brother over in Highlands! Been in both of their houses. Well his brother actually lived in an upstairs apartment. Went to H.S. with Adolph's daughter. Used to see that old bus in the alley all the time. Went to a party at St Hedwig's way back. Always heard of dances there but never went in earlier C/W dancing days!! The party was in 70's and I'm sure they still had dances then!! I would head west myself, Castroville and Quihi!! Golden Stallion (here) was huge!!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:46 PM

22 posts, read 71,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I remember the jingle for Rosow and Kline. It was done like an old Vaudville routine
Now THIS brings back memories. My parents bought the house where they still live back in 1971. The listing agent was Eva Rosow, which very soon afterwards became Rosow/Kline. To this DAY, that old commercial will just pop into my head........"Thank you kindly, Mr. Rosow. You are welcome, Mr. Kline"! Hilarious.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 PM

[quote=jg1208;7267611]The A.J.Ploch owned truck stop your referring to was at 35 & O'Connor,
That's it! Thank you!!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck in florida View Post
Since I'm new to this discussion, please forgive me if I repeat things that have already been talked about. I seem to remember that there was a radio station that broadcasted from CPM. You could stand outside the mall and look into the broadcast booth. I think it was on the side opposite of Loop 410 in one of those big office buildings. Am I right? and if so does anyone remember which station?
Not sure about CPM, but the San Antonio classical station, KMFM, used to broadcast from North Star, in that little area of offices up the spiral staircase in front of Frost Bros. As a high school student, I just to go drop in on B.J. McLean, who was the main DJ there. I think she loved that some kid was interested in classical music. KMFM later moved out near the Medical Center on Fredricksburg, and I heard that B.J. died a few years back.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM

KMFM or KTFM ??

Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Newt Godfrey was a Chevrolet dealer also! He was around a little longer I think.
Whew, still wading through two years of postings, so forgive me if this has already been addressed.

Newt Godfrey Chevrolet was downtown on Main, by Roy Akers Funeral Chapel. It later became Ancira-Winton Chevrolet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio