Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
ekd

2 posts, read 10,965 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that you could remember all the names of the news / weather people from 1972! That was the year I graduated from Roosevelt and reading your posting brought back some wonderful memories. Thank you for your concise wording and lovely visions!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
ekd

2 posts, read 10,965 times
I remember Dacbert's as being a great place to buy music for band instruments. Alamo was good for piano, but Dacbert's had the full band instrumentations! Dacbert's has been gone for a while (10 yrs?) and Alamo has moved. I guess downtown properties were too expensive - better to move the music store and sell the property for an enormous profit.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:46 AM

55 posts, read 232,599 times
Moved to SA in '76 after college. Here are a few of the things I remember:

Tiffany's Billiards (both locations) - it's still on San Pedro

New York Pizza in Central Park Mall

Tall Texan restaurant next to General Cinema in North Star Mall

Crystal Pistol at San Pedro and Hildebrand (it was like a party at someone's
two-story house)

La Fonda del Norte/Casa Mauricio/Maverick Cafe at San Pedro and Oblate

Learning to refer to convienience stores as "ice houses"

El Rancho Mexican Restaurant on San Pedro with a $3.99 all-you-can-eat deal

Rock concerts at the Municipal Auditorium (Van Halen, AC-DC, Rick Derringer)

Cool Site!

Old 05-13-2007, 05:11 PM

351 posts, read 1,584,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursemate View Post
I remember Edge Falls. I used to go camping along the river and went several times with my boyfriend and his family. It was so beautiful there. My sister is 10 years younger than me and she remembers our family going there once when she was about 4 years old (1968). Fast forward about 30 years and a doctor I worked with said he owned that ranch. Don't know if he was telling the truth as he was a little demented by then! I would love to go back. We also lived on the Kirsche (sp) ranch for a while in the 60's, just outside Boerne. The only thing in Boerne that I remember from that time was a small general store with a gas pump outside, and a small motel that we stayed at. Oh so many memories are coming back. I was in 2nd grade and we could buy chocolate milk for mid-morning snack for 2 cents.
Hi,

I asked a few post back, got lost in the following post:

"Where is Edge Falls? Who owns it now? Is there any way to visit again?"

Spent a magical summer day there many years ago and would love to go again.

I do remember having to climb over RAZOR WIRE!!

This trip was back in my "ahem" smoking days , so I do not remember where it was.

Thanks,

crazedchef

Old 05-13-2007, 09:01 PM

523 posts, read 494,677 times
Smile Southwest Championship Wrestling

Remember Southwest Championship Wrestling? It was our city's major wrestling promotion(way before WWE took over the worlds promotions). I remember it pretty well, they had shows that aired every saturday night(i think) on channels 12 and 8(KWEX). I remember the host Steve Stack and spanish host Rapido Rodriguez. They had some shows at HemisFair Arena. And the big time wrestlers that were in the promotion......such as......Scott Casey, Tully Blanchard, Adrian Adonis, Bob Sweetan and so on. Check the link below.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:30 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
Anyone remember shakeys on San Pedro and on Fredricksburg road? were there any others?

Old 05-14-2007, 04:28 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
The one place I miss the most from Central Park Mall is really the Christmas store. It was located on the lower level next to Sears. It was on the side opposite the lower entrances, under the ground level of the upper story, so it was really like being in a mystical cave. Like something out of Tolkien's Middle Earth. Not just the unique Christmas items in the store, but the layout of the store itself.

Does anyone know how long it was there? It must have been at least 10 years, which is hard to believe. I remember it being there in the early 1990's probably until the mall closed a few years ago. Right before that for a brief time there was a small amusement center/snack bar with video games, skee ball, etc. Before that I don't remember what it was, maybe a boutique.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyson View Post
La Fogota was Gomez Drive-In and before that was a gas station. The Del Mar pharmacy and Addax Ice House next to the restaurant .
Also, if I am not mistaken, La Fogata actually moved to it's present location. Where that other location was, I am clueless. Maybe I just dreamed it.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:14 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,051 times
I remember Wahoo McDaniel

Old 05-15-2007, 09:21 PM

523 posts, read 494,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
Remember Southwest Championship Wrestling? It was our city's major wrestling promotion(way before WWE took over the worlds promotions). I remember it pretty well, they had shows that aired every saturday night(i think) on channels 12 and 8(KWEX). I remember the host Steve Stack and spanish host Rapido Rodriguez. They had some shows at HemisFair Arena. And the big time wrestlers that were in the promotion......such as......Scott Casey, Tully Blanchard, Adrian Adonis, Bob Sweetan and so on.
I have pics of the Junction(home to Southwest wrestling), i took

Clip from SCW on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eod0bZC-CHs

Last edited by DGarcia879; 05-15-2007 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: added a link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio