Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 PM

15 posts, read 70,375 times

Advertisements

Many club names... Teen Canteen, Skip Willies, Fitz willies, Prize Bull (country)

Old 06-08-2007, 03:32 PM

15 posts, read 70,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingtime View Post
I'm still catching up, so will condense the rest of my comments into one entry:

I just asked my stepdad, who is in his 80s, the name of that barn-like C&W dance hall at Pat Booker and I-35. It was The Roundup. (Round Up?) He moved here in the late '40s and it was already there, so it was pretty old. He added that it was across the highway from Boysville.

I used to go to Lyndy's on Fredericksburg Rd. with friends after work. Nice place. There was also a little take out place at the corner of Fred Rd. and Medical in the early '80s called Naugle's. It was sort of a Mexican-restaurant-meets-Dairy Queen type of place. All I remember were their delicious taco salads -- to this day, the best I've ever had. Every time I think about that place, I think of the cashier (manager?), who had this l-o-n-g copper-painted pinkie nail. Funny the little things you remember.

First Mate was a favorite. Their prices were great, too. I remember they had really big, restaurant-style oysters that you wouldn't expect from a fast food place.

I wish I could think of the name of fish place that was in a free-standing building in the parking lot of the Colonies North Mall parking lot in the '80s. Really good (and cheap!) fish and shrimp.

We used to shop at the Albertson's at West & Blanco all the time. When it was first built, we were ecstatic because it was so convenient (and seemed so huge). My friend lived in one of the apartment complexes across the street and we walked over just about every day for snacks and goodies. I bought a watch, of all things, at the counter up front. Their prices were great.

Forgive me if I've already asked this, but who remembers The Jam Factory downtown? We went there one night in 1970 after a ZZ Top concert -- they were third billed, after The Guess Who and someone else.. haha; this was in the early days of their career, obviously -- and wound up sitting next to them. Nice bunch of guys. Gene Coleman, a local drummer, used to head up a band that played there a lot.

Didn't they turn the Smuggler's Inn on 410 into a Bombay Bicycle Club?

I'm SO glad someone mentioned those Doppelganger guys! OMG, they were so funny! Their karate skits just had me rolling, with the lip synching out of whack and all. I taped a couple of their shows, but never labeled the tape. Maybe one day I'll luck upon it.

Funny hearing Lyndy's. I used to work there back in the late 70's. The family also owned Crystal Pistol (on San Pedro) Bombay Bicycle Club, Crystal Baking Company (on 410) and the 1st Taco Cabana on San Pedro and Hildebrand.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:54 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,398,106 times
Crystal Baking Company, damn I forgot about that place on 410.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:46 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,760,890 times
Does anyone remember a giant billboard on I-35 between New Braunfels and San Antonio (going south towards SA) advertising a "big cheese pizza" or something? A large picture of a pizza which always made me hungry riding past it. This would have been late 70's or 80's.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 21,774 times
Smile Does any1 remember the clubs in the 80's "image and dj's" they were on the southside of SA

looking for any1 who remembers these clubs "image or DJ's"? They were on the southside of SA..Hey any1 remember the cool thing was cruising SW Military Dr. when it was safe and fun.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:21 AM

523 posts, read 491,318 times
Default Jammin

Remember the TV Dance Show Jammin? look what i found

YouTube - The Krayolas - Find A Girl - Jammin'

YouTube - The Krayolas - Jammin' Intro

Old 06-09-2007, 12:22 AM

305 posts, read 1,612,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
ok, a few more...
*local bands...Heyoka from SA, Too Smooth from Austin (opened for Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic stop), OzKnoz from Houston.
*Was it Par-Tee House, the target par three course on N35 near O'connor?
*Dr Pepper and Coke Basketball tourneys
*Iceman's poster...still the finest...well, next to Farrah's...
I remember two local bands, one called The Max and one called The Clocks.

The target par three course I remember out on I-35 and O'Conner was called Chuck Klein's. Back in the day when only geeks played golf, there were three pitch and putts. Klein's, Conrads (located on San Pedro near the rollerrink) and Carpenters. (located on Hamilton Wolfe and now Medical) Also, I remember a driving range over by Malibu Grand Prix that featued a large golf ball that you could try to hit with your drives. I think there was a hole in it and if you got it in there you got a free bucket or something like that.

I remember the Coke tourneys at Alamo Gym and later at St. Mary's gym. Those were great, one ticket and then you could watch B-ball games all day long.

As far as posters, I had the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders! Hated the team, but loved those cheerleaders.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 AM

61 posts, read 256,867 times
A few random thoughts
*Paul Thompson and Eyewitness News Wants to Know (simply the gruffest old man ever...hilarious!)
*The Light had a four page black-n-white comics (front/back and fold on a single sheet of paper) that could be pulled out and given to the kiddos so they wouldn't bug you while you were trying to read the paper
*the movie Viva Max! being filmed here
*the drive-through convenience store (Short-Stop) on Randolph AFB
*Hurricane Beulah
*Henry B.'s TV show/report every Sunday morning (like at 6 a.m.)
*5 Star Shock

Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 AM

472 posts, read 1,785,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidnas View Post
looking for any1 who remembers these clubs "image or DJ's"? They were on the southside of SA..Hey any1 remember the cool thing was cruising SW Military Dr. when it was safe and fun.

I remember cruising Mil and Brack. It was safe and fun and youd see the same people all the time. It was totally cool parking anywhere on Military and having the low riders put on mini shows. I remember if you cruised all the way down Military passed S. Presa you'd see street races. Taco Cabana was the place to be as well, the one just south of 35. Cruising Military was a southside tradition for decades. Too bad the stupid little wanna be gangsters had to mess that all up forever.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,124,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
A few random thoughts
*Paul Thompson and Eyewitness News Wants to Know (simply the gruffest old man ever...hilarious!)
*The Light had a four page black-n-white comics (front/back and fold on a single sheet of paper) that could be pulled out and given to the kiddos so they wouldn't bug you while you were trying to read the paper
I totally forgot about Paul Thompson..he was a gruff character..he reminded me of old Marvin Zindler on channel 13 in Houston (who is still on the air after umpteen years)! Didn't Paul Thompson also have a newspaper column with either the Express or the Light? I do remember my parents got three newspapers a day when I was young. The daily edition of the Light, the morning edition of the Express and there was an evening edition titled The News. The Light is obviously no more, and the Express and The News merged into today's Express-News.

I remember the comic book the Light had..my parents always had it set aside for me and I thought I was some big honcho "reading" the newspaper with them!

As an aside, this thread sure has taken on a life of its own...I'm glad it's been well-received by those with long memories of the city. I wonder if this SA thread is one of the largest (and longest) on the City-Data forum??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio