Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 9,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Funny, you would think a chubby girl like me would be scarfing that stuff down--but I've eaten it like twice in my life. Just doesn't do it for me.

My husband had it at Good Time Charlie's. He was not that impressed and we were starving the day we went. But he is really not a CFS lover, either, so maybe we shouldn't be the ones to comment.

fair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 9,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I know you were asking about here in San Antonio but if you ever do a little traveling, go down 181 2 miles south of Falls City (thats about 15 minutes S of Floresville) and try Shorty's CFS. The best CFS I've ever had.

fair

Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
My son had one at Bobby J's the other day, and he was licking the plate...must have been good. I hear Grady's BBQ over here off of Bandera rd has a decent one also. Tip Top is good, as is Bud Jones, but the best I've ever had was not in SA, but at Andy's Cafe in Dime Box Tx. Don't ask how we wound up there because I don't remember, but my dad and I stopped in there a while back and it was not only the tenderest and tastiest one I've ever had, but it hung off the side of the platter. Couldn't finish it...it won that day. I'll be back.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
We went to The Grain Bin over towards Seguin Friday night....they have killer CFS (my wife loved it). I had a hamburger steak w/brown gravy, cheese an' jalepeno's.....to DIE for!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I had a hamburger steak w/brown gravy, cheese an' jalepeno's.....to DIE for!
yea, many people apparently do die from that.

JK. Sounds good.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,184 times
Nod goes to LuLu's

Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 AM

574 posts, read 1,338,573 times
Tip Top has the worst CFS, it's big and bland. The gravy is equally as bad.

Good Time Charlie's CFS is pretty tasteless too.

Tim's Country Kitchen and Lulu's get my vote for good CFS. They are leaps & bounds better than Tip Top. They are good but not great, I'm still looking for the elusive lip smackin' CFS.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:58 PM

218 posts, read 501,577 times
I went to Lulu's about 3 months ago for the first time. The steak was tough and the crust had no flavor. This was all said by all 5 people in our party. We went because we heard that the were know for this. It pissed me off more when the waitress asked how it was. I told her that it was bad and she stomped off telling the cook something. I thought maybe we would get a sorry or she would call the manager over. Nope, she came back didn't say a word and gave us our checks. I can say that I will never go back again.

Alamo Cafe get's my vote for best CFS. Mama's is a close second. It was my favorite, but for some reason the Nacogdoches one isn't as good as the old one on 281.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,275 times
Default Cfs

Been to all mentioned in San Antonio. Over time things change. Tip Top was a great CFS and the waitresses with their uniforms was a great throwback. Especially this one, can't remember her name but after many years of trying I finally got a smile out of her. She was pleasant, just never smiled. Bud's...never all that great but passable. Alamo Cafe was much better before the move. Once they went north up 281 the quality went south. We quit going there and got our TexMex fix at Casaritas on Thousand Oaks. Lulu's...have been both places...Jailhouse and on 281 near 35. Jailhouse was better. Quality was always consistent. Not so much at the new location.

But...best, and biggest, CFS in Texas has to be Heitmiller's in Elm Mott, Texas. Which is just north of Waco. However, I understand they moved to a new location. See Alamo Cafe above. I haven't been so won't say it is the same but just throwing that out as a caution.

It's been a few years since I have been in SATX...where I live now I ordered chicken fried steak at Cracker Barrel, one of the few places you can get it up here, and they brought me chicken fried chicken...she missed hearing 'steak'.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM

89 posts, read 258,964 times
I love the chicken fried steak at MK Davis on N. Flores St. A small hole-in-the-wall place with great prices. Of course it doesn't hurt that they also have nice, cold schooners of beer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio