Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:11 AM

265 posts, read 1,185,993 times

Advertisements

I know there is another thread going about apartments, but just wondering if anyone can chime in about the family-friendliness of any of the below apts?

The View at Encino
The retreat at Canyon Springs
the mansions at Canyon springs
the Abbey

We decided to rent for 6 months (at the advice of many of you!) and now want to hone in on a good place for us, our kids & dog. Up here in Detroit, there are places that definitely have a reputation as being "singles" hang outs (think Melrose Place). Just want to try & weed those out and go for a place where there might be other kids, may be a park, a pool where kids are welcome, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 05:44 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,500,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown mary View Post
I know there is another thread going about apartments, but just wondering if anyone can chime in about the family-friendliness of any of the below apts?

The View at Encino
The retreat at Canyon Springs
the mansions at Canyon springs
the Abbey

We decided to rent for 6 months (at the advice of many of you!) and now want to hone in on a good place for us, our kids & dog. Up here in Detroit, there are places that definitely have a reputation as being "singles" hang outs (think Melrose Place). Just want to try & weed those out and go for a place where there might be other kids, may be a park, a pool where kids are welcome, etc.
I would imagine that they all have pools. We rented in the Lodge at Sonterra after we sold one home and the other was under construction. Pool, game room, movie room (that you can reserve), etc. Lots of families at the time.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 PM

I think they all have pools but I was wondering more if there would be lots of singles laying out, getting annoyed that my 5, 3 & 1 year old kids were splashing around, or if we might find other kids around the complex to play with.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 37,881,914 times
Quote:
I think they all have pools but I was wondering more if there would be lots of singles laying out, getting annoyed that my 5, 3 & 1 year old kids were splashing around, or if we might find other kids around the complex to play with.
I believe it's a safe bet that with the large number of single-parent families and military folks in the area that you will find a mix of families and singles at any complex that offers 2 and 3-bedroom apartments. There is a new complex not far from where I live that has attracted a mix like that. My kids know other kids through their school who have moved in there.

If a complex has kid-specific recreational amenities, like play structures and not just pools, gyms and party houses, families would be most likely to gravitate there.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Do you know any complexes like that by name?

Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 37,881,914 times
Quote:
Do you know any complexes like that by name?
No, I don't.

There are free apartment locator services in town which are likely to be in touch with the market better than any of us are. Have you looked into using one of those?

Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,811,189 times
Register on moveforfree.com--they have a great search feature. They have specials listed, floorplans, and lots of info about each complex. You won't be able to move for free since you are coming from out of state, but you can still use the site.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:36 PM

163 posts, read 309,047 times
Default The Abbey

I just moved out of the Abbey after about 10 months. Overall, the only thing I was really happy with there was the attached garage that I used for storage. Staff turnover was constant, and they were largely incompetent. The place is fairly new, but very shoddily constructed and the unit was quite dirty when I first moved in.

Basically, "skin-deep" it's nice, but scratch the surface and you won't like much of what you find. That said, they have a children's play area along one side of the property and a large pool area. There seemed to be plenty of children playing in the parking lot, so probably a good number of families there.

If I hadn't moved into a house, I would have considered the new place right along the 1604 access road just west of Stone Oak. Review of the complex (The Enclave?) were much better than others. Speaking of, definitely read reviews before deciding:
Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:07 AM

we went with the retreat. after many months of banter & nervous posts, I step foot in SA finally next week. wish me luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:04 PM

22 posts, read 95,487 times
We lived at The View at Encino Commons for six months while our home was being built. We were quite impressed with the space. We had a 3 bed/2 bath and 2 car garage. There are a lot of kids and yes it's kid friendly. Their pool is nice and the people are friendly. Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio