Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 10,593 times

Advertisements

Aloha! The countdown is on...

The hubby and I are flying up to check out some neighborhoods next month, and was looking for some input. We have 4 students in the house at every stage of school (elementary, middle, high school, and one that will be going to Texas A&M, San Antonio). A realtor that we've been communicating with is recommending the section between the 1604 Loop, Hwy 281, 410 Loop, and I-10 because the school system there is good. I've been looking at areas in the Schertz/Cibolo part of town, possibly up towards New Braunfels; but know nothing about schools there.

Kids are currently active in Boy Scouts, soccer, and piano. Husband is very active in the Hawaii music scene. If you have any recommendations regarding those activities, they are welcome!

Also, does anyone from Hawaii has any tips on what we need to stock up on before the move? Things that are not available there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 04:11 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiMomma4 View Post
Aloha! The countdown is on...

The hubby and I are flying up to check out some neighborhoods next month, and was looking for some input. We have 4 students in the house at every stage of school (elementary, middle, high school, and one that will be going to Texas A&M, San Antonio). A realtor that we've been communicating with is recommending the section between the 1604 Loop, Hwy 281, 410 Loop, and I-10 because the school system there is good. I've been looking at areas in the Schertz/Cibolo part of town, possibly up towards New Braunfels; but know nothing about schools there.

Kids are currently active in Boy Scouts, soccer, and piano. Husband is very active in the Hawaii music scene. If you have any recommendations regarding those activities, they are welcome!

Also, does anyone from Hawaii has any tips on what we need to stock up on before the move? Things that are not available there?
What is your budget for real estate?I think New Braunfels is nice.Have you guys found jobs yet?

Old 02-04-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
What is your budget for real estate?I think New Braunfels is nice.Have you guys found jobs yet?
We're planning to rent for the first year - I don't want to purchase a home before we live in the area and become familiar with the schools, traffic flow, etc. While renting, hoping to stay closer to $1500, but under $1850. Will eventually look for a purchase price in the $300K range.

As far as jobs, the hubby is getting paid to go to school (lucky duck!) - he'll be attending Texas A&M, San Antonio. I'll need to job search, and am hoping that I can find something within a few months. I know we say this now, but a good neighborhood and schools trump work commutes.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:05 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Texas A&M San Antonio is in southwest San Antonio. Schertz is in Northeast San Antonio.. I'm wondering why you've gone in this area? IYour realtor is correct in the assertion that good schools are in that area mentioned. However, with needing to be a 410/Zarzamora which I would probably recommend looking in the Alamo Ranch to Potranco and 1604 area not going too far inside 410 on the westside for good schools and good and general environment. Driving from New Braunfels to campus would be at least a 45 minute drive and you'd either have to go all the way around loop 410 (and get stuck at 410/151 and 281/410 madness or drive right through the city. Either way it's a rough commute while there are several options that have good schools and are a closer commute.

And yes, what is your budget? What is your field for employment?

Old 02-04-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
And yes, what is your budget? What is your field for employment?
We're planning to rent for the first year - I don't want to purchase a home before we live in the area and become familiar with the schools, traffic flow, etc. While renting, hoping to stay closer to $1500, but under $1850. Will eventually look for a purchase price in the $300K range.

My background is administrative. Have management, HR, and Accounting experience. Worked in the restaurant, and hotel industries. Skill sets are very transferrable.

Not sure why I ended up focusing on the Schertz/Cibolo/New Braunfels area...positive reviews, housing market seems to be in our price range? Posting the inquiry because I'm open to looking at other areas. We'll be coming to SA in a few weeks to check out the recommendations. I appreciate all input!

Old 02-04-2017, 11:08 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
Yes - the commute from New Braunfels to A&M WILL be a long one, but I suspect you're somewhat used to traffic from what I've seen of Hawaiian traffic in the more populated areas. The nice thing is that your budget will stretch further here than it will in SA, and I think you'd be comfortable here. Will he be going daily, or a couple of times a week - and any idea as to class schedule?

Old 02-05-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yes - the commute from New Braunfels to A&M WILL be a long one, but I suspect you're somewhat used to traffic from what I've seen of Hawaiian traffic in the more populated areas. The nice thing is that your budget will stretch further here than it will in SA, and I think you'd be comfortable here. Will he be going daily, or a couple of times a week - and any idea as to class schedule?
Thank you for replying, TexasRedneck. Our current commute on Maui is about 45 minutes for a 20 mile drive...worse when tourists rubberneck trying to see whales, and insane whenever there's an accident on the 2 lane road. Not sure what his class schedule will be like...if it's anything like his current course load, he'll be taking some online classes, and some in-person. I don't think he'll know for sure, until he completes the registration process this summer.

What can you tell me about the school system in New Braunfels? Any subdivisions that you'd recommend over others? Know anyone that you can refer us to for Scouting, soccer, and private piano lessons?

Old 02-05-2017, 06:38 AM

9,849 posts, read 13,690,768 times
In my opinion the commute from new braunfels to Texas a&M San Antonio could be as bad as austin during Saturdays (which is slightly better then a weekday but still crawls). Even if you are used to commutes you could find a verynice home in Alamo ranch for your. I'd get that would put your commute closer to 20 minutes. Campus is in a generally less densely populated part of the city so you are usually going against traffic whereas the commute to new braunfels is in all the traffic. The Alamo ranch area is highly sought after here on this board and you will find lots of great reviews (minus a few detractors due to congestion). This area is inzip ode 78253 and 78251 (and a bit of 78245). While the new braunfels school district is good check out schools within Northside ISD that will put you within that 20 minute commutes. A big difference is that new braunfels is more rural and the other area is more suburban. New braunfels (and even Schertz) developed as independent cities outside of San Antonio proper. They have their own police departments and governments. They aren't even in the same county, for the most part, as San Antonio. New braunfels is the furthest north area of the San Antonio metropolitan area. Everything north is Austin. I just am going to strongly encourage you to go south and not north. You'll be coming to visit in a while which will help you see that it is quite a distance away. Maybe even put some addresses into google maps snd see how long it would take during rush hour.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 02-05-2017 at 07:15 AM..

Old 02-05-2017, 06:49 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,545 times
I would caution you against New Braunfels because the commute is going to go from bad to insane in the next 10 years. And don't drive a nice car on that commute thanks to the 17 active quarries in the area. Constant dirt and grit on the road. Ask your realtor to locate you far away from an active quarry

Old 02-05-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
In my opinion the commute from new braunfels to Texas a&M San Antonio could be as bad as austin during Saturdays (which is slightly better then a weekday but still crawls). Even if you are used to commutes you could find a verynice home in Alamo ranch for your. I'd get that would put your commute closer to 20 minutes. Campus is in a generally less densely populated part of the city so you are usually going against traffic whereas the commute to new braunfels is in all the traffic. The Alamo ranch area is highly sought after here on this board and you will find lots of great reviews (minus a few detractors due to congestion). This area is inzip ode 78253 and 78251 (and a bit of 78245). While the new braunfels school district is good check out schools within Northside ISD that will put you within that 20 minute commutes. A big difference is that new braunfels is more rural and the other area is more suburban. New braunfels (and even Schertz) developed as independent cities outside of San Antonio proper. They have their own police departments and governments. They aren't even in the same county, for the most part, as San Antonio. New braunfels is the furthest north area of the San Antonio metropolitan area. Everything north is Austin. I just am going to strongly encourage you to go south and not north. You'll be coming to visit in a while which will help you see that it is quite a distance away. Maybe even put some addresses into google maps snd see how long it would take during rush hour.
Thank you for your input - we will definitely look at the area! Traffic patterns are something that you can't really judge looking at maps, and I appreciate all of your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio