Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 10:19 PM

12 posts, read 13,750 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm looking for the best places in San Antonio to take your well-behaved doggo, whether it be restaurants, retail stores, etc.

Does anyone have personal recommendations? Other websites mention places that are "technically" dog-friendly without much input on whether or not its a fun place to take the pooch.

Thanks for your recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 11:33 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Home Depot allows dogs in it's stores and I guess Lowe's does too as I saw a woman rolling a toy poodle into a store in a baby stroller. PetsMart & Petco allow dogs in their stores as well.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,058 times
Some Home Depot's do. Check with each one though.
I went to the one on DeZavala/I-10 and they had a sign out front stating "only service animals" allowed.

No sign that said "leashed pets welcome".
In my defense I didn't go in to ask management, but other stores have "leashed pets welcome" clearly posted.

Some Academy's allow pets. As well as Ross.
Outside of that, the usual dog parks.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Canyon Cafe in Alamo Heights allows dogs. What SA needs is a dog park/bar type thing. When I am home visiting family I long for a spot to grab a drink and let me dog run around. There are a few places like that up in Austin.

Otherwise I go to Hardberger Park with my pup when I'm in town.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:06 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
A lot of businesses allow Service Dogs only so it's prudent to ask or look for Service Dog signs. I saw some Stud at Home Depot with his Pit Bull on a large chain...really?

Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 AM

894 posts, read 1,545,948 times
The Luxury on Jones Street near Broadway takes dogs. Great place on the banks of the river, all outdoors...good place to drink beer and have a good sandwich or burger. Just don't park on Jones Street! Even though I saw no signs, SAPD loves to write tickets.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:23 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
I've taken big dogs (German Shepherd, Saint Bernard) to the Home Depot on SW Military several times, and they're always welcomed by the employees.

Pet supply stores (Petco, etc.) are more interesting for the dog because there's so much to smell.

My favorite eating/drinking places to take my dog are La Tuna, The Cove (they have an actual enclosed dog area, and you can also wash your dog while you're there; very nice acoustic live music), and the Alamo Street Eat Bar (food truck place, although often the music is loud and obnoxious, but open late).

ETA: Oh yeah -- forgot to mention The Friendly Spot (food's not great, but fab atmosphere) and B&D Ice House BBQ. I've been meaning to check out Casa Azul down the street. All of the places I've mentioned are within about a two-mile radius from Southtown, so this may not be useful for people living far north.

I've been meaning to check out The Luxury, but I keep forgetting about it. My car is on auto-pilot to La Tuna since I live so close to it.

ETA some more: I am 98% sure I've seen dogs at La Gloria, at the Pearl. Chris Madrid's used to allow dogs but no longer does.

Last edited by Kthnry; 02-15-2017 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 12:24 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Canyon Cafe in Alamo Heights allows dogs. What SA needs is a dog park/bar type thing. When I am home visiting family I long for a spot to grab a drink and let me dog run around. There are a few places like that up in Austin.

Otherwise I go to Hardberger Park with my pup when I'm in town.
You will definitely want to check out The Cove.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
You will definitely want to check out The Cove.
And yes, the Cove. They even have a small little area for them to be off leash.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:52 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Beto's (Broadway) also welcomes dogs on the patio. Le Peep used to, not sure about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio