Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 06:50 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTamer57 View Post
Thank you Kayanne. As we left Fredricksburg, we drove through Boerne and I remember thinking that it was really nice. I will check this town out further.

Guess I should ask you about the flooding there as well...is it very widespread or fairly localized near the rivers?
Actually where we live is not in "the town of Boerne" as most people think of it. We have a Boerne address, but we are in Bexar County (the same county as San Antonio) and kids in our neighborhood attend San Antonio schools. It's quiet, dark, with a peaceful country feel, yet an easy drive to the SA airport and downtown attractions.

In the 3 years we've lived here, I have not seen widespread flooding, and I doubt our house (or most houses around here) could ever flood, as we are on a hill. However, there have been a few times that the road in front of our neighborhood has flooded, temporarily causing people to be trapped inside (or outside) of the neighborhood for several hours. (There is only one way in and out). I'm told a bridge is being built nearby to give us another access in and out. (True story: Tony Parker, Spurs point guard, lives in the neighborhood next door. There was flooding along our main road the day before the season opener last year, and no one could get out of our two neighborhoods. Parker missed practice before that opening game. It was shortly after that when we began hearing about the bridge to be built!)

Bottom line, flooding in the Boerne area is not a major concern, only at some low spots in roads near creeks. Some roads have already been raised, and others are being looked at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:02 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Also check out Fair Oaks Ranch. It's mostly residential, but it's close to Boerne and San Antonio. Very nice upscale homes if that's in your budget.

I forgot to mention before, but there is a very fun and active Hill Country Newcomers Club for women that is comprised mostly of retired women from Fair Oaks Ranch and Boerne. I don't know if you're male or female, but many of the activities are for the members plus husbands/guests. My hub and I both enjoy it very much. There is also a ROMEO group (Retired Old Men Eating Out --- I love that name!) but my hub is not retired so he isn't in that.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:56 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
If your budget is on the low to moderate side, Boerne would be out of your price range. Wimberley, too.

Suggest you look closely at New Braunfels and San Marcos, and the little villages in their vicinities. Maybe Bulverde, Spring Branch and Blanco on US 281 as well. Then there's Canyon Lake, but the land costs here keep on going up and up, so I'm not sure what price range you'd consider low to moderate.

If you're looking for a small town to walk around in, New Braunfels, Blanco and Bandera seem to fit that bill, as does Johnson City. If you want to get further into the Hill Country, you could consider Brady and Mason for lower costs and walkability.

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTamer57 View Post
Hey There C24L - you get around on here! Thanks again for your replies and help as I sort through various possibilities. As you know form my previous posts, I was looking for a drier climate, but I also need to be somewhat flexible for my mom. Hill County seems like it could be a winner. Am fond of the smaller town sizes too, along with the relatively close location to bigger cities for the medical.

What can you tell me about the flooding these areas? I know 2015 and 2016 were not so good for many places in Texas. I am assuming that it's only parts of these towns closest to the rivers that would have the highest threat.
You are welcome.Flooding can be a major issue in the Hill Country but probably only in certain low-lying areas.I would look at flood plain maps before you make a purchase.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 PM

33 posts, read 52,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
If your budget is on the low to moderate side, Boerne would be out of your price range. Wimberley, too.

Suggest you look closely at New Braunfels and San Marcos, and the little villages in their vicinities. Maybe Bulverde, Spring Branch and Blanco on US 281 as well. Then there's Canyon Lake, but the land costs here keep on going up and up, so I'm not sure what price range you'd consider low to moderate.

If you're looking for a small town to walk around in, New Braunfels, Blanco and Bandera seem to fit that bill, as does Johnson City. If you want to get further into the Hill Country, you could consider Brady and Mason for lower costs and walkability.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks much on the budget information and the walkable towns Arkay66! Will check those out!

Old 02-19-2017, 01:08 PM

33 posts, read 52,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Also check out Fair Oaks Ranch. It's mostly residential, but it's close to Boerne and San Antonio. Very nice upscale homes if that's in your budget.

Thanks again - Kayanne! Will check it out.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,136 times
Retired military and soon to retire from federal civilian service at the 60 - 62 year old yard marker. Researched Stone Oak and New Braunfels. Wow, huge difference in property taxes between the counties. Any insights on New Braunfels besides what I see on Zillow? Some are buying a lot and building their homes in New Braunfels. Not interested in HOAs, their fees and restrictions. Will relocate from Woodbridge, VA to Vet friendly TX. Thanks in advance for tips.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:35 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredUSArmyOfficer View Post
Retired military and soon to retire from federal civilian service at the 60 - 62 year old yard marker. Researched Stone Oak and New Braunfels. Wow, huge difference in property taxes between the counties. Any insights on New Braunfels besides what I see on Zillow? Some are buying a lot and building their homes in New Braunfels. Not interested in HOAs, their fees and restrictions. Will relocate from Woodbridge, VA to Vet friendly TX. Thanks in advance for tips.
What is your budget for housing,RetiredUSArmyOfficer?Thanks for your service.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:47 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredUSArmyOfficer View Post
We retired in 2010 and left Fairfax County to come home. The first thing you will notice about Texas in general is that we have no income tax, so sales taxes and property taxes are fairly high. But the overall cost of living is about 27% cheaper than Northern Virginia, so costs are actually cheaper.

Comal County (New Braunfels is the county seat) has cheaper property taxes than, say, Kerrville, because it's a tourist destination for both New Braunfels and Canyon Lake. Lots of tourist dollars has helped keep the property taxes cheaper than the counties around us. Comal County also has more generous homestead and seniors exemptions on those property taxes. Firefighters abound, so fire insurance is the cheapest rate offered in the state.

If you avoid the newer developments, you'll avoid the HOAs for the most part. Anytime you see the words "gated community," pass it by. There are a lot of older housing areas where no HOA exists, and some open land in there where you could build. Cost is determined by whether or not you have a view of the rivers, Canyon Lake, or the Hill Country - and how enamored the seller is of his property.

If you decide to move upcounty to Canyon Lake, we have more hills than in NB, so if you get a hillside place, you'll be a lot cooler than in town. It's quiet out here, even when the power boats are on the lake. We have two VFW chapters at the lake, and the American Legion is in downtown NB. Two parades: 4th of July in Starzville and Christmas in Sattler, which are really nice small village parades. Whitewater Amphitheater features big name bands

From anywhere in Comal County, it's an easy run to medical facilities in San Marcos, New Braunfels, and San Antonio. BAMC is a straight shot down I-35, but retirees only get specialty care there. For TriCare pharmacies, there are several Walgreens in New Braunfels and a CVS here at the lake (although I heard it lost the TriCare contract to Walgreens).

As for insights on New Braunfels, we prefer rural to town, so chose to be out here. But NB is the county seat, so we do spend a fair amount of time there. It's an interesting and lively town. We like it.

If you'd like more details, pop me a PM and we'll go to email. We retired from civil service, but our best friends are retired Army and they can give you the down and dirty from personal experience.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:09 AM

37 posts, read 106,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
We retired in 2010 and left Fairfax County to come home. The first thing you will notice about Texas in general is that we have no income tax, so sales taxes and property taxes are fairly high. But the overall cost of living is about 27% cheaper than Northern Virginia, so costs are actually cheaper.

Comal County (New Braunfels is the county seat) has cheaper property taxes than, say, Kerrville, because it's a tourist destination for both New Braunfels and Canyon Lake. Lots of tourist dollars has helped keep the property taxes cheaper than the counties around us. Comal County also has more generous homestead and seniors exemptions on those property taxes. Firefighters abound, so fire insurance is the cheapest rate offered in the state.

If you avoid the newer developments, you'll avoid the HOAs for the most part. Anytime you see the words "gated community," pass it by. There are a lot of older housing areas where no HOA exists, and some open land in there where you could build. Cost is determined by whether or not you have a view of the rivers, Canyon Lake, or the Hill Country - and how enamored the seller is of his property.

If you decide to move upcounty to Canyon Lake, we have more hills than in NB, so if you get a hillside place, you'll be a lot cooler than in town. It's quiet out here, even when the power boats are on the lake. We have two VFW chapters at the lake, and the American Legion is in downtown NB. Two parades: 4th of July in Starzville and Christmas in Sattler, which are really nice small village parades. Whitewater Amphitheater features big name bands

From anywhere in Comal County, it's an easy run to medical facilities in San Marcos, New Braunfels, and San Antonio. BAMC is a straight shot down I-35, but retirees only get specialty care there. For TriCare pharmacies, there are several Walgreens in New Braunfels and a CVS here at the lake (although I heard it lost the TriCare contract to Walgreens).

As for insights on New Braunfels, we prefer rural to town, so chose to be out here. But NB is the county seat, so we do spend a fair amount of time there. It's an interesting and lively town. We like it.

If you'd like more details, pop me a PM and we'll go to email. We retired from civil service, but our best friends are retired Army and they can give you the down and dirty from personal experience.

Arkay66, thank you so much for the detailed information.
Can you tell me if Canyon Lake has a Community College? if not, where would the closest one to the Canyon Lake area be?

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio