Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,002 times

Advertisements

We have several patches of Crabgrass in our Bermuda Grass yard. We're tired of pulling it out and setting my mower to a low setting with the bag won't work.
There are several Chemical Sprays out there ready to apply and concentrates.
I've read that a simple mixture of Baking Soda, Cinnamon, and water can be sprayed.
Before I try anything drastic I wanted to see what you've used to tackle this mess.

Thank You

Last edited by wellguy; 02-19-2017 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 12:43 AM

56 posts, read 52,148 times
A couple times I did spot treatment with Roundup, with no lasting damage to the surrounding grass.
Remove any seeds that may be present. Cut a hole in the bottom of a breadbag and a gallon ziplock bag, gather up the leaves and stems, put them inside the double bag, close off the bottom loosely with a twist tie, spray the leaves, then close off the top of the bags with another twist tie or string or whatever.
It's probably just as labor intensive as trying to uproot the thing by hand, but I've done several times with success on low sprawling weeds similar to crabgrass.
photo - this wasn't crabgrass but is posted for visual reference
Attached Thumbnails
Crabgrass Control and Killer-img_9485_bjp25c.jpg  

Old 02-24-2017, 06:02 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,767 times
For bermuda lawns, I use Celcius.
It is expensive at around $115, but you use so little of it at a time, it will last a very long time and end up much cheaper than other brands from the big box store. It takes a little longer to work, but it works, and works better in the summer than anything else.

During the winter, if bermuda has gone dormant, you can use roundup to kill weeks, but make sure the grass is completely dormant.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:10 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,590 times
Well I just laid down the Scotts Halts Crabgrass Preventer.
Haven't used it before, so we'll wait and see what comes up over the next few months to see if it worked or not.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
We have several patches of Crabgrass in our Bermuda Grass yard. We're tired of pulling it out and setting my mower to a low setting with the bag won't work.
There are several Chemical Sprays out there ready to apply and concentrates.
I've read that a simple mixture of Baking Soda, Cinnamon, and water can be sprayed.
Before I try anything drastic I wanted to see what you've used to tackle this mess.

Thank You

I have a whole thread about how I beat crabgrass in my lawn. I usually spot treat with BAYER all-in-one lawn weed and crabgrass killer. You can get it at lowes or homedepot. Its pretty cheap, then I got a 5 gal backpack style sprayer from harbor freight. I'd mix 2-3 gallons in the sprayer with a little bit of dish soap (helps it cling to the leaves better). Then right before sunset I'll just walk around and spray any crabgrass I see. 2-3 days later the crabgrass turns bright red, a few days after that its dead down to the root. I'm now on year 3 of pre-emergent early spring (actually just put it down), Weed and Feed late spring, Overseed in the fall. I'm really hoping this is my year of very minimal weeds due to all the work I've put in since buying the house with a yard that was nothing but crabgrass. I use product from tractor supply, its so darn cheap it is hard to buy anything else, I just got 50lb bangs of pre-emergent fertilizer for $17.99 a bag, maybe they were priced wrong but you just can't beat that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: