Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:03 PM

160 posts, read 187,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
There is nothing even close to comparable as "The Woodlands" in San Antonio.
Well that's disappointing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 03:07 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingutah View Post
My brother lives in The Woodlands. No suburb in San Antonio can compare (IMHO) having spent time in both areas. The Woodlands, (again, IMHO) is far nicer with nice tall trees, spacious lots and more shopping options. There were a bit smarter out there about not plowing every single tree down and pouring cement as they seem to do here.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:28 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
281 and 1604 in South Bexar County is mostly middle to lower income rural area, some very nice ranch homes here and there and then some dumpy trailers here and there. If you have a good income, one could live very very comfortably on some acreage in a nice custom ranch home anywhere from La Vernia to Lytle along South loop 1604.

But since you will just be renting for a temporary amount of time, how about the newer apartments near Mission Del Lago golf course? If you wish to live in the city, anything below loop 410 seems doable, anything above that turns into a traffic nightmare. Or if you prefer come up from rural areas, La Vernia or Floresville are nice.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
We will probably be renting our budget is 1500/mo and we have 2 dogs that need a yard so we are looking for a house or townhouse.
I missed this piece about dogs and yards, so the apartments I suggested will not work.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
My brother lives in The Woodlands. No suburb in San Antonio can compare (IMHO) having spent time in both areas. The Woodlands, (again, IMHO) is far nicer with nice tall trees, spacious lots and more shopping options. There were a bit smarter out there about not plowing every single tree down and pouring cement as they seem to do here.
I hated it at first, but it's really grown on me. When I go to other areas around here they just don't compare to The Woodlands. I am sad to be leaving but ready for the next Texas adventure.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
281 and 1604 in South Bexar County is mostly middle to lower income rural area, some very nice ranch homes here and there and then some dumpy trailers here and there. If you have a good income, one could live very very comfortably on some acreage in a nice custom ranch home anywhere from La Vernia to Lytle along South loop 1604.

But since you will just be renting for a temporary amount of time, how about the newer apartments near Mission Del Lago golf course? If you wish to live in the city, anything below loop 410 seems doable, anything above that turns into a traffic nightmare. Or if you prefer come up from rural areas, La Vernia or Floresville are nice.
From what I've seen online anything below the 410 loop looks a little sketchy. I really hoped that traffic would not be as bad as it is in Houston, so we could live in north SA, I am getting really disappointed looking at the neighborhoods in south SA.

Last edited by leavingutah; 03-15-2017 at 10:28 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 11:38 AM

When I said below loop 410, I mean below North loop 410, AKA within the loop. You can live anywhere within the loop and get to the South 281-1604 in a reasonable amount of time, definitely within 40 mins which is one of the parameters you gave.

Most traffic in SA seems to commute North, so if you do move into the actual city of SA, your hub will likely have a reverse commute.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
When I said below loop 410, I mean below North loop 410, AKA within the loop. You can live anywhere within the loop and get to the South 281-1604 in a reasonable amount of time, definitely within 40 mins which is the parameters you gave.

Most traffic in SA seems to commute North, so if you do move into the actual city of SA, your hub will likely have a reverse commute.
Aha that makes sense! I thought you meant south of south 410! That's great news!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:27 PM

Yes, I have land in Southern Bexar County where your hub will work, actually just a few miles from the location you described. It's a great area to buy a few acres and build something nice and live tranquilly. But you are right, as far as rentals, I would imagine most in the area would be hit or miss or even mostly sketchy as you describe.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:01 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
The LeonSprings / La Cantera area is just as "nice" if you can get past replacing pine trees with shorter Live Oaks. It is not as developed as the Woodlands but it is rapidly expanding. Since San Antonio is not as big as Houston and our traffic is not nearly as bad we do not have any large developed suburb. That and Houston metro is the wealthiest metro in Texas while San Antonio is least of the 4 large metros.

Stone Oak is also very manicured and once they fix 281 would be a great place to look. Both of the recommend areas have a great hill country feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio