U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:55 PM

159 posts, read 715,889 times

Advertisements

Im glad this thread went up. Im about to buy a metal detector and would have posted a thread like this soon. Im going to buy the high end Whites metal detector ($1,100) for myself, and the ($300) for my daughter. Should I spend more on hers? Are the ($300) Whites detectors any good?

Quote:
There's a complete petrified clam shell, what appears to be a petrified worm segment, an ancient man-made hatchet head and spear tip, and a broken dinosaur tooth. All of it was found NW side of San Antonio up to the hill country around Medina lake, and I have more too. This area really is rich in fossils, but most people overlook that for some reason.
Wow, I throw aways rock way better looking than those. I often find what I would like to think are arrowheads or hatchetheads and throw them away because they dont look "Arrowheadish" enough for me. That worm looks like an old rusted screw and that tooth looks like a deformed pecan. The rest look like "Any rock U.S.A.", but I know nothing and Im glad I saw those pics. I need to stop looking at the detector websites and the Whites testomonial page, thats the reason I throw half this stuff away because it doesnt look as good as theres. Indians are people too there very well could have been some half-assed Indians out there crafting half-assed arrowheads, Im missing out. I did find a rock about the size of a grapefruit with a perfectly smooth hole through it about the size of a sharpie. Could this be something? I wanted to throw it away, but my daughter kept it. Ill post a pic of it. My question is how is a hole like that made through a rock that thick. Could water have done this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:23 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,585,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
Im glad this thread went up. Im about to buy a metal detector and would have posted a thread like this soon. Im going to buy the high end Whites metal detector ($1,100) for myself, and the ($300) for my daughter. Should I spend more on hers? Are the ($300) Whites detectors any good?
What kind of research have you done on the metal detectors? I started out with the $250 one just to see if this is something I want to pursue. Have you owned one before?
Sorry for all the questions. Just curious since I just purchased one myself.

Check out the prices at Metal Detector Super Store - Kellyco Metal Detectors they had some bonus freebies with every order and free shipping.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:36 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,092,007 times
According to the metal detecting forum, the Ace 250 is a great place to start. That seems to be the model that is recommended most for those just starting out. I'm thinking about ordering one myself.

Speaking of rock collecting, I have so many rosk that I had to build a special bin to keep them all in outside. I was supposed to go rock hunting down in Eagle Pass this weekend but I have too many other things going on. There is a rock quarry down there that will let us go though the piles of rock that they don't want. They mostly want gravel. We take the grapefruit sized rock.

Wow, I just checked out the KellyCo site. Thats a pretty good deal. Free shipping too?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:58 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,585,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Wow, I just checked out the KellyCo site. Thats a pretty good deal. Free shipping too?
yeah, not bad. The total charged was $212.44. Did you see all the freebies you get with it? I just couldn't pass it up. Now I have to hide it from my husband

Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM

I just registered at the metal detecting forum. I guess that seals it. Next I'll be buying a detector. My birthday is one month from today. I guess I'll have to buy myself one. Just what I need, another hobby. No clubs though I will not join a metal detecting club. The first thing that would happen is I would be so busy with club stuff that I would not have time to go metal detecting.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM

4,132 posts, read 6,466,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
According to the metal detecting forum, the Ace 250 is a great place to start. That seems to be the model that is recommended most for those just starting out. I'm thinking about ordering one myself.
If you check the link on one of my earlier posts about Garrett detectors they have a spring special for the Ace 250 with a lot of accessories. I'm biased. I have an old Garrett's detector and they seem to be the best made. The owner of the company is a "treasure hunting fanatic" and has some of his stuff on display at the Garland headquarters. A good place to visit to really get the bug. AND if you have an older Garretts (like me)they will accept trade-ins on newer models......

Last edited by Deep Forest; 03-27-2008 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 08:41 PM

380 posts, read 1,197,427 times
I just got mine in December and enjoy using it. For those that are interested, we should set something up, thoughts?

Also, to keep this thread relative to SA. Close by here is an old treasure story of the lost gold mine near Llano. Never been found...happy hunting.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:42 PM

380 posts, read 1,197,427 times
Pinpointers are a plus, so I'm told. I don't have one but I hear they work great for pin pointing your treasure.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 PM

4,132 posts, read 6,466,852 times
I just checked KellyCo. It appears the price break they get from the manufacturers are passed on to the consumers. I wonder why the White's detectors are not priced ??? Hm-m-m-m. Never mind buying directly from Garrett (but do go see his museum of artifacts).

Last edited by Deep Forest; 03-27-2008 at 10:21 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 10:30 PM

Just bought one from Kellyco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio