U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 20,288 times

Advertisements

tesoro, garrett and whites make very nice detectors for $300.00.maybe even a bit less.those are the ones i would trust more.there is a tesoro dealer here in town also.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,827 times
Default Legal places to go metal detecting in san antonio texas

I just registered on city-date.com and i am looking for information that will tell me where i can legally use my metal detector in san antonio. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Thanks

merlin akers, (sat)

Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,083,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
OK, just got off the phone with Metal Detector Permits Section, Parks and Recreation. Ignorance is no longer a defense. Permits are required to hunt on city property (parks). The permit is FREE and the office where you get them is at 114 West Comerce, 10th floor, Ms. Barbara Galloway (207-8797) She said if you don't have one you could get a ticket....
If you are going to hunt on city property you will need a permit. Above is info on how to get one. SA has some really stupid rules on metal detecting in city parks. Of course private property is always OK if you have permission.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:18 AM

4,796 posts, read 14,202,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLINAKERS View Post
I just registered on city-date.com and i am looking for information that will tell me where i can legally use my metal detector in san antonio. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Thanks

merlin akers, (sat)
Merlin...thanks for bringing this thread forwards. I've always been fascinated with metal detecting. I have a friend that used to go out to the parade grounds at Ft. Sam and found lots of neat artifacts, uniform buttons, metal insignias...etc...but I'm sure that totally off limits now.

From your question, I'm assuming you didn't read through this entire thread. Go back to the beginning and it has everything you'd want to know about when, where, how and who as far as metal detecting and geocaching in this area.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any luck!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM

114,775 posts, read 57,858,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
If you are going to hunt on city property you will need a permit. Above is info on how to get one. SA has some really stupid rules on metal detecting in city parks. Of course private property is always OK if you have permission.
Good information, my son bought a pretty nice detector 3 or 4 yrs. ago. Then had to go to California ( Valencia ) and took it with him. Since then he has said he wishes he had left it here. He really doesn't get a chance to use it. He always flies in for holidays , guess he'll have to ship it to me. I,d love to do that kind of thing , just wasn't sure of the laws. It was probably around $300 I recall looking through a brochure. It was likely mid range price wise. Now that I think of it I might have purchased it myself.
I'd definitely get the permits.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 9,788 times
Default texascouncil.net/clubs/sanantonioclub.htm

San Antonio Area Metal Detector Club

I've always wanted to get into this too. Maybe soon as time permits... I plan to checking this thread often... thanks for all the information that peaked my interest again..jc

Old 09-09-2008, 03:32 PM

734 posts, read 2,810,504 times
Just found this thread - but I was wondering where there were good rock hunting sites in the San Antonio area?

Old 09-09-2008, 03:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 14,202,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
Just found this thread - but I was wondering where there were good rock hunting sites in the San Antonio area?
Cibalo Canyon and Creek is a great place to rock hunt. Also Canyon Dam. When the flood of 2002 hit, there was a breech in the dam a bit south of the actual dam itself. What happened was a land dam pushed through and exposed this wonderland of cavities and caverns and all kinds of land and rock formations.
It's open to the public, but by tours only. Some of the areas are a bit tricky to navigate so for liability purposes,as well as educational purposes, tours are required. There may be some areas close to this that you can explore on your own.

As far as Cibalo Canyon and Creek....there are plenty of places to access, just be sure you're not trespassing. Look for any roadways that cross the Cibalo and look for paths and access....and SNAKES! So wear good thick boots! And have a great time!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,083,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Cibalo Canyon and Creek is a great place to rock hunt. Also Canyon Dam. When the flood of 2002 hit, there was a breech in the dam a bit south of the actual dam itself. What happened was a land dam pushed through and exposed this wonderland of cavities and caverns and all kinds of land and rock formations.
It's open to the public, but by tours only. Some of the areas are a bit tricky to navigate so for liability purposes,as well as educational purposes, tours are required. There may be some areas close to this that you can explore on your own.

As far as Cibalo Canyon and Creek....there are plenty of places to access, just be sure you're not trespassing. Look for any roadways that cross the Cibalo and look for paths and access....and SNAKES! So wear good thick boots! And have a great time!
wCat, if your referring to th Canyon Lake Gorge you are right. It is a wonderful place to go for a nice hike and to see some really cool formations and fossils. I went on a tour with the Gem and Mineral club that I belong to. I took some pics along the way and posted them on our website. I highly recommend taking the tour. If you would like a little preview here is a link to the page on our website where the photos reside. They're on the bottom of the page. Some of them take a few seconds to fully load.

Southwest Gem and Mineral Society-Photo Album

Old 09-09-2008, 05:38 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,945,747 times
Is there anyone in Westcreek with a metal detector that wants to do me a favor?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio