Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
103.3 The App was ok, I believe there were no DJ's on that station the few times I listened to it. I personally think the station would have been more popular had they thrown in a few songs from 99.5 KISS rotation. This would have helped siphon off bored listeners from that station. A little Metallica, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Rage and Gun & Roses would have gone a long way mixed in there with the newer Muse, MGMT, Fritz & the Tantrums, Imagine Dragons etc. The few times I listened to it it was straight up newer alternative rock only format which is ok, it just disengages your age 35+ listeners, a little older alt rock would have been sweet too like some Depeche Mode, Cure and Social Distortion. Even throwing in some Johhny Cash, Bob Marley, Cypress Hill and House of Pain would have helped. The new alt rock format was boring after you start to notice the songs repeating after two hours.

This is why stations like KROCK in LA and 91X in San Diego are so popular and sound good, they aren't afraid to mix old rock/new wave with the newer alt rock format.

Oh well, I find myself listening to KKYX Classic Country and spanish radio alot lately when in SA.

A little Morrisey and I would have definitely been a loyal listener of 103.3.
103.3 was the the only decent station in town IMO. Your "few time" comment shows you know little. The California station's you listed are slightly better then KISS imo. That's saying very little. I listened to 101x up in Austin for almost a decade and there's only certain number of Spoon songs a casual listener can take.

It's a shame it's gone for another hip hop station. But, numbers don't lie. Back to Sirius full-time, and the death of traditional radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 07:00 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
103.3 was the the only decent station in town IMO. Your "few time" comment shows you know little.
My only point is that mixing in some older "familiar" songs would have been a good move for the now defunct radio station, the format was new to SA and you can't just ram it down an unfamiliar audiences throat without giving them something familiar. It seemed like it was geared towards a 30 and under millennial listener, the music was fine, it just started to repeat after a couple of hours.

Since you seem to have been a loyal listener, can you name a few of the older classics they played? I think I heard an old Beck song once, but that's about all I remember.

Spoon, LOL, I haven't heard them in years but I am sure 101X shows them love because they are from Austin.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:13 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times
Quote:
My only point is that mixing in some older "familiar" songs would have been a good move for the now defunct radio station, the format was new to SA and you can't just ram it down an unfamiliar audiences throat without giving them something familiar. It seemed like it was geared towards a 30 and under millennial listener, the music was fine, it just started to repeat after a couple of hours.

Since you seem to have been a loyal listener, can you name a few of the older classics they played? I think I heard an old Beck song once, but that's about all I remember.
I wouldn't call myself a loyal listener. I would turn it on a couple​ times a week on my laptop at work. No more then an hour. I graduated high school in 2000, so I know all about the familiar songs you speak of. That's what KISS is for and now even some of the "classic" rock station's. I want to hear bands that are now and up and coming. I'm sick of of listening to the same old Sublime, Weezer, Bush, Smashing Pumpkins, etc! I've heard those songs a hundred times and can listem to them anytime and just about anywhere.

I would like to hear Cold War Kids, Bastille (they rocked the crap out of Maverick Music Festival by the way), Cage the Elephant, Portugal the Man, and so on.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
I wouldn't call myself a loyal listener. I would turn it on a couple​ times a week on my laptop at work. No more then an hour. I graduated high school in 2000, so I know all about the familiar songs you speak of. That's what KISS is for and now even some of the "classic" rock station's. I want to hear bands that are now and up and coming. I'm sick of of listening to the same old Sublime, Weezer, Bush, Smashing Pumpkins, etc! I've heard those songs a hundred times and can listem to them anytime and just about anywhere.

I would like to hear Cold War Kids, Bastille (they rocked the crap out of Maverick Music Festival by the way), Cage the Elephant, Portugal the Man, and so on.
I graduated from a high school on the South side of town in 1999, so you and I are around the same age. We can probably agree that hip-hop was probably the most listened to genre of music amongst our peers during our high-school days. It would stand to reason that a throwback hip hop station would replace 103.3 The App.

I saw Portugal the Man play live 3-4 years ago on the Conan O'Brien show, love their sound.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 PM

115 posts, read 279,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm seeing two different things in this thread. Is it a throwback, hip hop station or a station that plays a mix of old songs? I know people on this forum tend to think that any station that plays a few hip hop songs is a hip hop station even though it's clearly a mix station.
You are right. SA doesn't know what a real hip hop station is because we have never had one.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:34 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
You are right. SA doesn't know what a real hip hop station is because we have never had one.
SA hasn't had a real hip hop and r&b station in decades. 104.5 was the closest thing in recent years, but it's gone now. The Beat is supposed to be rhythmic, I believe. They play a good amount of rhythmic pop. Austin has a couple of truly urban stations.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 AM

693 posts, read 1,502,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
Why are people upset by the radio selection in the year2017!?

Radio should/is obsolete. Why aren't you using Bluetooth or transmitters connected to your phone to play. Us if? Music you like, music without commercials?

Seriously?

Being upset with radio is like being upset there are no more blockbusters or tower records.

Why do you care if people are upset about a radio station changing formats without notice? Many people on facebook were upset because they liked listening to 103.3. Kens5 must of thought it was newsworthy because they posted an article on their website about it. They also shared it on their facebook page too. It got lots of comments from loyal listeners that were annoyed the station is gone.

Unless you have a newer car with bluetooth and/or usb port with a smartphone or mp3 player then you're stuck listening to the radio. Some people don't have the extra money or don't want to spend money for spotify, pandora, or sirius.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:01 AM

693 posts, read 1,502,159 times
Quote:
103.3 The App was ok, I believe there were no DJ's on that station the few times I listened to it. I personally think the station would have been more popular had they thrown in a few songs from 99.5 KISS rotation. This would have helped siphon off bored listeners from that station. A little Metallica, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Rage and Gun & Roses would have gone a long way mixed in there with the newer Muse, MGMT, Fritz & the Tantrums, Imagine Dragons etc. The few times I listened to it it was straight up newer alternative rock only format which is ok, it just disengages your age 35+ listeners, a little older alt rock would have been sweet too like some Depeche Mode, Cure and Social Distortion. Even throwing in some Johhny Cash, Bob Marley, Cypress Hill and House of Pain would have helped. The new alt rock format was boring after you start to notice the songs repeating after two hours.

This is why stations like KROCK in LA and 91X in San Diego are so popular and sound good, they aren't afraid to mix old rock/new wave with the newer alt rock format.

Oh well, I find myself listening to KKYX Classic Country and spanish radio alot lately when in SA.

A little Morrisey and I would have definitely been a loyal listener of 103.3.

I'm glad The App wasn't like KISS! KISS plays the same songs over and over again. I loved that SA finally had indie alternative rock station! The App also played older songs from The Cure, No Doubt, Third Eye Blind, and Oasis to name a few. They also had DJ's too.

Anyone have any suggestions of other stations, apps, or websites that play same type of music as 103.3? I wish I could find a playlist somewhere of the songs 103.3 played.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:15 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
So, is 103.3 now a good replacement for 104.5? I can't get 103.3 in South Austin, though, like I do 104.5. I would have to listen to it whenever I travel to San Antonio.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:37 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
Why do you care if people are upset about a radio station changing formats without notice? Many people on facebook were upset because they liked listening to 103.3. Kens5 must of thought it was newsworthy because they posted an article on their website about it. They also shared it on their facebook page too. It got lots of comments from loyal listeners that were annoyed the station is gone.

Unless you have a newer car with bluetooth and/or usb port with a smartphone or mp3 player then you're stuck listening to the radio. Some people don't have the extra money or don't want to spend money for spotify, pandora, or sirius.
One of the reasons why I will always buy CDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: