Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 08:54 AM

265 posts, read 1,190,839 times

Advertisements

Our move is finally in the works - we will be in SA by April. Just hoping to connect with other Michiganders who have made the move. Hoping to get some insight about where we should live (we are renting for 4 months until we decide). What Detroit surburb could you compare Stone Oak to?
Also, how can you compare the shopping, traffic, people, etc?
How did you adjust to the first summer? Did the heat become more tolerable the longer you lived there?
Do you want to come home to Michigan or are you HAPPY in SA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
First summer will probably be miserable. It doesn't even start cooling down until Halloween. I am originally from NY..then to SoCal..then here...so it gradually got hotter for me, sorta eased into it. Coming right from MI to SA will be quite a difference. You'll probably adjust next year...you learn to get things done EARLY in the day etc....
The thing that bothered me the most was the length of the summer. I can take the temps for a few months...but I'm ready for cooling to start in mid September...and it doesn't. By the end of September it begins to be a drag..cooling down starts around Halloween..that's a good measuring stick.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 AM

454 posts, read 505,439 times
I'm not from Michigan but I did move here straight from Indiana, about 1 mile from the Michigan border. I didn't find the summers a challenge at all, but then though I'd lived 9 years in CT and IN, I am originally from SoCal so like the heat.

A word about "going home", IME, as long as some place else is home, you'll never feel totally at home in your new place. That doesn't mean you have to turn your back on the old place, but I think you do have to perceive the new place as "home" and it becomes so. It can take some time to adapt though.

Most of my family is still in SoCal, but my home is where I am now, and has been in each place I've lived. I always miss things about each place, but find new things to appreciate in the new place.

Can't comment on Detroit, since my MI experience is more the western part of the state.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:22 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I'm from Michigan, born in Adrian and grew up in Ann Arbor. If there was an economy in Michigan I'd be there in a second. The weather is a lot more to my liking and people know how to drive.. unfortunately the unions ruined the state though

Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
rd2007, I was born in Ypsilanti and have lived in Saline and Ann Arbor!
Motown Mary, Welcome to San Antonio!! I think that I've been out of Michigan (2008) too long to compare Stone Oak to a suburb, but Stone Oak is REALLY NICE. It's like a cross between the cool unique shops of Ann Arbor, without the college students, and maybe a really nice suburb like Auburn Hills or something. I don't know that youc an really compare. I loved my first summer. Did you know we hit the 90's this February. But it's a drier heat than Michigan, although last summer was humid. My first summer was dry, 100+ degree everyday, and it didn't bother me. I like it becuase you can sit out on the porch almost all year except maybe December and January and a few days before and after. It's hot hot hot hot. You really do get used to it. I hate going to visit my family when it's cold up there!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:23 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
small world.. I graduated Saline HS class of 85 and went to EMU.. My parents live in Saline now and it's definitely not the town I remember. I also haven't been there in about 10 years.
I don't think I'd compare Stone Oak to Ann Arbor, but that's probably because Ann Arbor is my most favorite city in the world and Stone Oak is in San Antonio... which isn't even in my top 50

Old 03-07-2008, 05:02 PM

72 posts, read 267,619 times
I'm a Michigander, too! We moved from Grand Blanc and lived in Dearborn and Plymouth for many years. I worked at U of M in Ann Arbor and loved, loved, loved the place! I'd say Stone Oak is like a Rochester or Birmingham-only really hilly and new homes! When we first looked at homes here, Stone Oak really impressed us. We were told by many people to drive the area at rush hour before we made a decision-can you say GRIDLOCK? There is an issue with the public elementary schools, too. The NEISD just built a new middle school and high school and there are more elementary schools in the works but many kiddos attend overflow schools if you are new to the district. The great 281 toll road debate/debacle is another thing to consider. We decided to rent for a little while until we figured the area out and we are sooooo glad we did! I continue to be amazed at how truly welcoming people are here. Little by little, we are starting to believe San Antonio will eventually feel like home.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:28 PM

37 posts, read 119,533 times
I'm from Michigan too! I moved to SA in October... couldn't get out fast enough, and I'm so glad I did it! Especially when I see how lovely this winter has treated the mitten.

I moved here because I have family in the Valley, and SA was the biggest city in a central location, before I hit nothing. I'm originally from Kalamazoo, so I can't compare Stone Oak to the Detroit area.

All I know, is that I love it here! Traffic has been a bit of an adjustment, but I watch the news and listen to the radio before I leave for work in the mornings. I'm also finally learning my way around, and I know some of the back ways.

Weather makes the move worth it for me! I don't want to see snow ever again! I did miss seeing the leaves change this fall though. Fall in Michigan is beautiful! The biggest adjustment will be being away from my family and friends... But hey, if I can't make a leap this big while I'm young and unattatched, when would I ever do it??? I think the fact that I found a great guy, helps a little too!

Best of luck to you in your move!
(I drove down through IN, and spent the first night in Little Rock, Arkansas. Then made it a point to go through Texarkana, and Dallas, and hit 35 the rest of the way. No complaints! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio