Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:32 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,525 times

Advertisements

I live in L.A. and there is a major difference in culture between Texas and L.A.

The people in L.A. are almost "racist" toward Texans, they are ignorant and think that mainly "hicks" live in Texas.

I think most people in L.A. will like Austin, but would not like a conservative place like Dallas or San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 PM

147 posts, read 241,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
I live in L.A. and there is a major difference in culture between Texas and L.A.

The people in L.A. are almost "racist" toward Texans, they are ignorant and think that mainly "hicks" live in Texas.

I think most people in L.A. will like Austin, but would not like a conservative place like Dallas or San Antonio.

Yes! We have noticed that the Californians are "almost racist" towards Texans! That is why we are not thrilled to see Californians. Also, the secular Californians are really judgmental. They write letters to the editor of the Dallas newspaper and complain that we go to church, as if it is their business. How judgmental!

Old 12-08-2006, 04:05 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
yall should see what has happened to pristine Vermont when the "flatlanders" from NY, Boston, and New Jersey came in. Housing prices shot up to unbearable levels, crime and tension between the Vermonters and the people who come in and dont values Vermont just in terms of what they can take from it.

we have a saying on the east coast, where we see Northeasterns coming in with sprawl, with rude behavior and mass consumption--"Dont Jersey our Land"
Its NOT northeasterners but people from the NYC metro area that you are referring to. And Californians are nothing like this (not nearly as rude, hostile & shallow either).

And there is tension here in the NYC area between native NY'ers & all these yuppie transplants who somehow are able to spend $3,000 a month for a one bedrooom apt and 1 million for a small condo.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:08 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,525 times
I guess in San Antonio people do not like Californians because they come with all this equity and buy homes in the dominion as if it were nothing.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:07 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,551 times
Hmmm, none of the Californians I know that have moved out here had any equity, including us. I only have 1 friend that owned a house, the rest of us couldn't afford one. We made in the 6 figures and lived month to month renting in San Diego. I'm paying $300 more to own my house here than renting an apartment in So Cal. That includes the 3% taxes and insurance. Actually that includes insurance on both of our cars too since my insurance company just lumps it all together. In the end we pay less to live out here and own than renting in So Cal. We did not buy our home and think nothing of it. Owning is a big deal and not something that we did without sacrifice. We left the only city we ever called home along with all our friends and family. That was no small decision and I suspect many other Californians are doing the same. Might I also mention that the only hositlity towards newcomers I've found was at the DPS when getting my drivers license. I didn't take it too seriously though, I think that woman had issues bigger than her complaints about the newcomers.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:37 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Default Out of State Investors Buying Houses

I have no problem with Californians moving here to San Antonio or anywhere in Texas. I think what is hurting here are the out of state investors who buy up many of the new and used houses and turn them into rentals. In a fairly new (2 years old) part of our subdivision, there are numerous (about 7 or 8 on a block of 40) rentals with signs in front at this time. To me, this tends to destabilize the neighborhood as more home owners move out, and you guessed it, sell their house to an investor and further contributing to the cycle.

Interesting though, I just read in today's EN that average rental prices have come down $200 to about $1100 since last year. Perhaps some of them will lose interest and sell the houses.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:45 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,551 times
That's true, the rentals do bring down the neighborhood. Many builders (including ours) now require a 1 year no sell or rent contract when you buy. Only the buyer or a relative can live in the house for the first year.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 AM
lcw

118 posts, read 669,662 times
The one thing I have noticed recently (which may or may not be due to Calis) is there are many more agressive drivers on the roads. My driving habits haven't changed and, in my very unscientific methodolody, have determined I have been flipped off, honked at and given more dirty looks in the past year os so then I had in my previous 15 years of driving combined.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:46 AM

470 posts, read 1,952,871 times
I'm sure if Texans had the opportunity to "buy homes in the dominion as if it were nothing", they wouldn't think twice about it. Nothing wrong with that if you work hard to make this possible.

As a general comment (not directed towards anyone)... Frankly, I think it is immature to pre-judge and generalize folks and their motives, no matter where they're coming from or how much financial muscle they can flex.

I certainly don't feel it necessary to have to explain myself to anyone why or how I bought. Who cares of if I payed cash for my house, or not? It's not an indication of my character of motives for relocating. Most people who have any issue with this are usually jealous more than having genuine concerns about the impact of these "invaders" from the east and west coast are having on their utopia. I hope that they are just as fervant to preach against the other "invaders" from south of the border.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand the very legitimate concerns that surround the influx of newcomers, but we shouldn't hold everyone suspect to narrow generalizations. This only helps create walls of social segregation. It makes some Texans sound very self-righteous and unwelcoming.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:18 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Guys, I think he was kidding. Really do. It's one of those tongue in cheek ways of saying something that some may think about SOME people that move here. Not many but a few that do have attitudes and bring a lot of their preconceived notions about Texas and Texans. It does make me laugh too pretty good and want to say something like that to them in a humorous way in response. My fellow native is right though, I've read some of their letters to the paper complaining about our way of life, it's pretty funny. LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio