Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 08:40 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,752,246 times

Advertisements

With all due respect, you appear to be ignoring folks' suggestions and input - so I see nothing to be gained by trying to add my thoughts.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 PM

36 posts, read 35,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
With all due respect, you appear to be ignoring folks' suggestions and input - so I see nothing to be gained by trying to add my thoughts.

Good luck.
I've listened, but sadly... I'm unable to afford some of the areas or the convenience factor when I take call and makes some of the areas unreachable to me, hence the 2 locations I listed as they seem far enough away or enticing price wise to be 'fair'. When I take call, I must be there within 30 minutes.

If I could move to alamo ranch, I would. But I can't find anything respectable for the price point I'm seeking, with the layout/needs that I need to meet.

By all means, I haven't seen anyone suggest any specific areas of interest that are under 20~min commute, under $225k and in a 'desirable' area, with a good builder that also justifies it.

Hence why I'm targeting the 'fair' areas.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,590,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deriggs007 View Post

Any advice is appreciated. My realtor hasn't really helped much in regards to which home could be more imporant or 'desirable' than the other. She says both should do fine if you were to sell in 3 to 4 years.

Again, looking for advice and personal opinions.
Your realtor isn't being helpful because they're saying the same thing we are. The areas aren't that great. You are getting personal opinions. They aren't the ones you're looking for. And you say you live in the area, you should be seeing some of the same things we have said.

If I were going to go with the two it would the one closer to Marbach just due to the amenities in the area. The Lakeview one has the HEB Plus nearby but otherwise that's about it. The one near Horal and Lakeview...that's just flat land that developers want to develop to make it look shiny and new. In reality after that shininess wears off it's going to be exactly like the other areas....areas that military, like you, bought into because they had to have new for the three years they are in SA, and then move and turn the property over to a property management company and rent to moderate income families (maybe even low income) that work too much or have too much going on to maintain the home, or rely on the management company to maintain, and then the values plumet. This is the life cycle of the Lackland area. The area around Highway 90 and Ellison, the area around Jay High School, the area around Ingram and 151, the area west of Marbach, this is the life cycle and you're just playing into it. Have you driven around the older areas that surround these new neighborhoods? Y

could go on and on and on about how buying in this area and then selling in four years is a waste of time, but like others have said, you've decided that you're going to buy in this area no matter what.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:

By all means, I haven't seen anyone suggest any specific areas of interest that are under 20~min commute, under $225k and in a 'desirable' area, with a good builder that also justifies it.

This is the first time I have read you are interested in other areas. Look into the area around Callaghan and Wurzbach. The homes are older (you won't be getting the shininess you are getting from the homes you are looking at) but it's within that twenty minute commute (maybe a tad more with 151/410). Zipcode is 78240 and 78238.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
This is the first time I have read you are interested in other areas. Look into the area around Callaghan and Wurzbach. The homes are older (you won't be getting the shininess you are getting from the homes you are looking at) but it's within that twenty minute commute (maybe a tad more with 151/410). Zipcode is 78240 and 78238.
I used to live out there when I was under a contract job for 6-7 months. The commute to the lackland area is closer to 30min when you're around normal 7-8am and 4-5pm traffic. It has to be under 30min, unless obvious wreckage etc.

It was one of my bigger priority areas since I was familiar with it, but it's outside the commute zone I'm allowed to be at. :-(

It's a bummer, I really am nearly only allowed to stay in fair places, and I'm merely trying to make the best out of the fair places, but I have to stay within a certain budget. For example, I was considering Dove Creek and considering a NewLeaf home there a while back, but it's literally right at the max of my commute zone.

I thought about commuting on the far south side, hopefully closer to the south east side as the drive is not as congested, but it's in bad parts too. The best parts seem to be in the north west, north east or just straight north.

Those areas I just can't keep under 30min, or under 240+ grand... hence the 2 locations I mentioned, they seem to be the 'best' I can get with what I can make due with.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I used to live out there when I was under a contract job for 6-7 months. The commute to the lackland area is closer to 30min when you're around normal 7-8am and 4-5pm traffic. It has to be under 30min, unless obvious wreckage etc.

It was one of my bigger priority areas since I was familiar with it, but it's outside the commute zone I'm allowed to be at. :-(

It's a bummer, I really am nearly only allowed to stay in fair places, and I'm merely trying to make the best out of the fair places, but I have to stay within a certain budget. For example, I was considering Dove Creek and considering a NewLeaf home there a while back, but it's literally right at the max of my commute zone.

I thought about commuting on the far south side, hopefully closer to the south east side as the drive is not as congested, but it's in bad parts too. The best parts seem to be in the north west, north east or just straight north.

Those areas I just can't keep under 30min, or under 240+ grand... hence the 2 locations I mentioned, they seem to be the 'best' I can get with what I can make due with.
Why do you have to buy? Wait until you find out where you're going next and then look there. As many have said, you're not going to make money and it's not the best area to invest since it's in that cycle.

Have you looked into renting in nicer areas? My parents live near 10/De Zavala and pay $1400 for their home. It's older but nice (this is just an example, I know you want to be closer). No, it would not be your own but you might be able to find something better for the same price that a mortgage payment would be. I lived at the Callaghan and Wurzbach intersection and commuted to 90 and Military Dr and very easily got there within those 20 minutes in the mornings at those peak times. Maybe i was speeding, though.

However, in reality, the area around Lackland is military and it's what you're going to get. Even Alamo Ranch has its military aspects to it, and will continue to move in that direction. To get nice you'll have to be outside of that 20 minute commute. And that's the honest truth.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the input, I did crunch these numbers quite a few times before deciding. I'm merely trying to look out what's in the best interest for myself/family.

I'd prefer to buy, I've been having to rent for close to 7 years and that's just income I've thrown down the toilet. I work in a military area, for the military on case by case basis, but I'm an independent contractor and a freelancer and also run a personal business for my income.

My current contract ends in 2020, and I should be relocated at another facility somewhere, but it's not a guarantee. I could be here another 10 years if they decide to keep me, hence more emphasis on wanting to buy now and either rent or sell later. I'm not in the market to capitalise on selling, I just want my money back, if I can't sell.. yes I'll rent. I'll atleast be doing something with equity, hopefully and not tossing rent down the drain.

Sadly, my personal business is slow for personal reasons so I'm adjusting my living conditions accordingly. I don't mind renting, but I couldn't find anything rent wise that's decent enough with what we need as a family. For example, I claim a large portion of taxes because I work out of an office 100% of the time. I literally need an office space (bedroom or actual office, or a converted garage) - family grew + 2 and I need at least a 4 bed just for the kids + an office space. I can't find a place to rent under 1800 that's not a slum, honestly. Yet, I can buy that space after taxes for 1400-1500, or 1600 in better areas (more enticing)

The major reason I want to buy a newer home isn't because I want the shiny, it's because I feel I have a greater risk at maintenance cost in an older home, with the quality of these homes... it's a ticking time bomb. Trust me, I grew up in 50/60's homes and they are better built than most homes I've seen in these areas, including "desirable ones'. They just don't build homes like they used to. It's just my personal preference, I've been plagued by older homes, I'm plagued by my current home that was built in 2012... hence buying something new that has a warranty while I'm here.

I've crunched the numbers. I know it sounds like I'm not listening, but I am. I wish I could get into some of the better areas, I just can't. If I could work at Randolph or Ft. Sam, that'd be best for me. Lackland isn't working out and I have to get what I can get. Really, the 30min cap thing is my biggest limitation, I wish I didn't have to accept that fate, but I do.

Ultimately, that's why I picked those 2 communities. Westward Pointe is pretty close to 1604, and there isn't much around it at all, even communities. There's a pretty decent Armadillo community right next to it, It's also close to shopping and easy access to major roads: Screenshot by Lightshot

Lakeview: http://prntscr.com/f6grtw I like simply because it's gated, the values all are pretty decent, it's a great deal on a home (Current offers at $218k, on a $232k home. The last 7 home closings on same floor plan was $228k). It's NISD school and the elementary that 2 of my kids are going to be attending is rated 7/10... much better than ANYTHING else within 20minutes.

However, I think it's in the 'ghetto' around it. I mean, it's not THAT bad. Really the fences are the only thing that needs work. People around the area seem okay, the houses aren't really run down, they're just old.

So as you can see, I'm trying to strategically pick the best I can with what I'm handed. I may even stay in my current rental for 3 more years, even though my family grew + 2 and the kids have to double stack in the rooms, lol. He may be enticing a 3 year contract by dropping the rent another $150. If he does that, I'll really really reconsider as I'd be paying waaaay less at that point and would tell the kids to suck it up butter cup

Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
So as you can see, I'm trying to strategically pick the best I can with what I'm handed. I may even stay in my current rental for 3 more years, even though my family grew + 2 and the kids have to double stack in the rooms, lol. He may be enticing a 3 year contract by dropping the rent another $150. If he does that, I'll really really reconsider as I'd be paying waaaay less at that point and would tell the kids to suck it up butter cup
There was no previous mention of children. Are they school aged kids? In that case I'd get out of that area as fast as I could. SWISD is not a good district and the NISD schools the kids would go to are top 5 worst in NISD (although not the worst in town, of course). If they're little stay, I guess.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:44 AM

693 posts, read 1,495,972 times
I work near 410 & 151 and commute from North Central SA in between Castle Hills and Shavano Park area. I work 2nd shift so I don't drive in rush hour. There is lots of construction at east and westbound 410 around Culebra to Waters Edge. Plus the whole 151 and 410 overpass that is being built. Traffic can easily back up with all the construction and if there is a major accident. It usually takes me about 30 minutes with no traffic. If you're on call and only have 30 minutes to get to work then I wouldn't recommend the North Central area. It's a great area to live in but getting to Lackland in 30 minutes would be hard.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 PM
IBM

1 posts, read 580 times
Hey I just came across this thread and although late to the conversation wanted to share my experience. We bought a new KB home in 1997 in the 78253 area code just outside 1604. We chose it because it at the time it was close to work (LAFB)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio